Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

X-peak 3 Plus won't charge my Ni-xx

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

X-peak 3 Plus won't charge my Ni-xx

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 11:24 AM
H_enke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X-peak 3 Plus won't charge my Ni-xx

Hi!

I have an X-Peak 3 Plus (Swallow Advance copy). When I try to charge my NiMh and NiCd, the charger stops the charging after ~50mA.

I have tried to charge with everthing from 1/10C to 1C, its still the same problem.

My chargeleads are 20cm long.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:33 AM
castaway_bill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: X-peak 3 Plus won't charge my Ni-xx

Hi

My X-peak 3 has a similar problem. What I found was it works ok at very low charge rates, but if you try and charge at higher rates then it cuts out too early. FAR too early in fact. It behaves the same whether you run it off a car battery, or bench power supply. Its only on Nicads or NimH

I'm an electronics design engineer by profession, and looking at the problem I suspect it could be one of two things :-

1) Incorrect firmware algorithm for detecting the delta peak.
2) Poor filtering on the analogue voltage measurement, so noise could cause false delta peak detection

(1) is going to be hard to do much about, seeing as this thing is obviously of far eastern design, being sold under several brands.
(2) I might try taking it apart and fitting some decoupling capacitors on the internal supply and analogue inputs. It will have an internal switching power supply and it may be this which is causing the noise.

I found out the hard way about this, by losing a model. Later I got as far as doing some measurements using a data-logging multimeter. Lipo and lead acid charging seems OK, but the unit is still essentially useless since it was bought as a field charger! Worst still, it wasn't exactly a cheap'n'cheerful item, so now I've got to splash out **again** on another charger.

Regards