Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

End play in 400 style electric motor

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

End play in 400 style electric motor

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 08:01 PM
abbydawn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default End play in 400 style electric motor

New to electric motor flying. I was wondering if it is normal for the 400 and similar style motors to develop a bit of end play after a few runs. Would this be wear on the C clip? Seems to me if the C clip lets go, away flys the prop and the bell housing of the motor! And how does one remove those C clips, is there a specialty tool for this.
Thx, Gary
Old 06-25-2008, 09:37 PM
BeanerECMO
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: End play in 400 style electric motor

There really shouldn't be end play. There should be a set screw on the rotor that is tightened against a flat spot on the shaft. There should also be a split slip ring just in front of the c-clip that acts a 'buffer' between the c-clip and the stator bearing. There may be a special tool, but I use small hemostats to grab either side of the c-clip and gently (but forcefully) spread it just a bit (it isn't spring steel as a lot of c-clips in cars), so I can work it out of the groove. After putting it back into the groove, I use one of the hemostats to squeeze the c-clip so it is as it was originally. If there isn't a flat spot on the shaft for the set screw, one can be ground with a Dremel-like tool - it doesn't have to be a deep flat spot. In fact, the replacement shafts that I have, have no flat spot, and I just tighten the set screw against the shaft as much as possible - I've had no failures.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:43 AM
whitecrest

I have had good luck using a jeweler's screw driver to remove the retaining clip. The tiny blade just fits into a gap between the clip and the shaft. Simply rotating the screw driver as if driving a screw leverages the clip off the shaft. The motor needs to be removed from the motor mount to provide adequate clearance.

I have had to disassemble my motors a few times for cleaning. It takes a considerable force to remove the bell housing holding all the magnets from the stator assembly due to the accumulated attraction. I don't think there is much pressure on the clip during operation especially given that energized coils would increase overall attraction during operation.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:51 AM
abbydawn

Thx much guys, I was able to remove the clip and disasemble the motor using your methods. I inserted a second washer under the clip and all the end play is now gone. Then bench run no problem. I used a different method of re-installing the clip. I inserted it over the end of the shaft and forceably pushed it down until it snapped into place and then as suggested crimped it tighter with hemostats. I doubt that a bit of end play would have any affect on the performance however I consider this exercise good for me as all previous experience has been flying with nitro motors. I'm a convert to electric whose time has come. Back into flying after a 5 year absence. Currently flying a Cox Christen Eagle my debut, in a scool park. The park is in the shadow of a microwave tower bristling with every kind of antenna you can imagine. I wouldn't have tried flying there with my 72Mhz so bought a Futaba 2.4 6ex and so far not a glitch. Testimony I guess! Two kits in stock to build, Goldberg Pitts Monster and Yak 54.