Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Where can I find wheel chaulks?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Where can I find wheel chaulks?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 09:45 PM
Patrick Frost
Banned
My Feedback: (88)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where can I find wheel chaulks?

Can anyone tell me where I can get wheel chaulks for my jets? I would like to re-configure my trailer set up and use wheel chaulks with velcro straps instead of the Cradles. I have looked on the BVM website and catalog but cannot see them anywhere. Thanks- Patrick
Old 07-09-2006, 11:43 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts
Default RE: Where can I find wheel chaulks?

I would say that if you can build a jet and organize a trailer to hold them building wheel chalks should not be a big deal. I'd use a piece of 1" whatever you have, cut it into a rectangle, route an oval in the middle to fit the wheel and get some velcro to stick on there. You can get both at your local home center I'm sure.
Old 07-10-2006, 02:58 AM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey come on, he is a BVM flyer.........., they dont build or get sawdust or epoxxy stains.......jus having fun
Old 07-10-2006, 05:20 AM
rcguy!
My Feedback: (69)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it OK to transport jets with their wheels chocked instead of having them rest on a cradle? Won't the constant jarring wear out or at least loosen the retract mechanism?

Dave

"WWBVMD"
Old 07-10-2006, 07:16 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: rcguy!

Is it OK to transport jets with their wheels chocked instead of having them rest on a cradle? Won't the constant jarring wear out or at least loosen the retract mechanism?

Dave

"WWBVMD"
Yea, I was thinking the same thing, but it probably depends on the size of your trailer. BV transports his jets that way and they apparently do OK, but he's got a 22' trailer that probably rides better than my car. With my small trailer, it beats the heck out of them. I actually retract the gear and lay them down (wings off, of course) on a bed of foam. That spreads the load out even better than a cradle...

Bob
Old 07-10-2006, 07:32 AM
trioval00
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would leave the retracts up and lay the jet flat on foam then strap it down. the retracts will to abuse in travel in the down posotion. There is a local nascar team here in town, my son worked for them for years. all of their cars have the shocks removed before traveling to the tracks, after the ride to the tracks the shocks are actually warm if they are left in the car from the abuse the car get from being in the trailer.

Mark
Old 07-10-2006, 07:48 AM
Patrick Frost
Banned

I have a 20' trailer so it rides very smooth. I can put mosqiuto candles on the rear wheel wells and they have never moved. The problem I am having with the cradles is that when it gets around 100 degrees in there the fiberglass tends to form "flat" in the area where the cradle touches the plane. Jeremy............can I build the wheel chaulks? Yes........but I dont have much time for anything right now since this is my busy season. I too noticed that BVM carried thier jets as well this way with no troubles. I have a BVM Phantom, Rafale, BobCat XL and a Super Hornet but the Super Hornet I will fold the gear up and lay it on foam. The others should have no problem in wheel chaulks. A friend of mine put his Phantom on the floor of my trailer with wheel chaulks and velcro and that worked out perfect. I will ask him where he got his. Thanks, Patrick
Old 07-10-2006, 08:13 AM
747drvr
My Feedback: (5)

chocks
Old 07-10-2006, 03:30 PM
Boomerang1

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

BVM used to sell genuine BVM, approved by Bob, wheel chooks for about $50 per pair, I noticed them once, on a link to the BVM site, on a BVM bash post once before. These chooks were finished in a polyurethane varnish and were laser engraved with the BVM logo. I'm not sure if they were a joke or just a marketing experiment to see if people were gullible enough to pay $50 for a lump of wood with a hole in it just because they came from the house of Bob. - John.
Old 07-10-2006, 04:53 PM
Spartan Missile

Here ya go....................

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79540.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	489747  
Old 07-10-2006, 07:03 PM
Patrick Frost
Banned

I called BVM today and they discontinued making the wheel chocks. I guess nobody else makes them eh?
Old 07-10-2006, 09:58 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

wow Spartan how did you make those....looks complicated?
Old 07-11-2006, 04:09 AM
Boomerang1

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I guess Marc Thomson is not going to bite! .................................................. .......chooks..................................... ......

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21587.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	211.4 KB
ID:	489972  
Old 07-11-2006, 06:49 AM
Spartan Missile

ORIGINAL: bvmflier
I called BVM today and they discontinued making the wheel chocks. I guess nobody else makes them eh?
Maybe someone will rip them off, just like the UAT ?