Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Waterproofing?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 04:54 AM
airoscar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Waterproofing?

Hi, im kinda of wondering what you guys do for waterproofing.

i'm thinking about using hot glue, it's easy and convinient and possibly quite effective.
did a bit research on hot glue, most of them are very good electric insulator when both dry/wet.
but it does start to melt in hot temperature ( about ten or twenty degrees under water's boiling point depends on chemical formula), so i guess it might not be good too close to nitro engines, but maybe its still good for most things?

so, just wonder what most people do for water proofing. cos i have a lot of snow here. lolz
Old 12-27-2008, 05:16 AM
Swamp3r

Default RE: Waterproofing?

Are you talking about electric trucks or nitro. Btw I'm from star city melfort area
Old 12-27-2008, 10:58 AM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

put the electrics (esc, receiver) in a baloon and use a tie wrap where the wires come out of the baloon. I honestly dont run in water or snow, i dont want to ruin my stuff but people do run in the snow and water.
Old 12-27-2008, 02:04 PM
firebird78

my method if there is water and snow is leaving them on their shelf....better to be safe then sorry...lol
Old 12-27-2008, 03:07 PM
kuppler

For me i dont like to run in the water or even when its misty out.
But here is a a 2 part video on how to waterproof for the winter.......

Part1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=792xi...e=channel_page

Part2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFTFP...e=channel_page
Old 12-27-2008, 08:45 PM
jpilkinton

I just came back from my favorite store(harbor freights) and picked up some liquid tape. That stuff works great for waterproofing.
I pulled my rx apart and coated the bottom and when it dries completely, I will coat the top of the pcb. I like to run in the mud. And where ever there is mud, there is some amount of water. So I ain't taking any chances.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:45 PM
Redharris

Not running in the Snow is not really an Option for folks like Rod, eh.......lol......

Just remember that SERVOS really Hate water too, and they are harder to seal than receivers.......

P.S.....
I am posting from my Remote location of Phoenix.......
Nice weather here....RC Time tomorrow!
Old 12-27-2008, 11:50 PM
airoscar

i have snow here half of the time in a year. as long as everything is "splash proof" i think it would be fine, its not like am going into water, just snow.
Old 12-28-2008, 02:40 AM
kuppler

ORIGINAL: airoscar

i have snow here half of the time in a year. as long as everything is "splash proof" i think it would be fine, its not like am going into water, just snow.
well if you watched the videos and did what hes telling you....i think you'll be good to go
Old 12-28-2008, 03:40 AM
Swamp3r

One thing you have to keep in mind though is running in snow is as dangerouse as running in rain. The motor and electronics get hot and the snow will melt. I personally spray down my electronincs with wd40 and it's been working for me. But any truck I run I do use the ballon trick too.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:25 PM
airoscar

thanks for all your instructions and experiences.

i did as in the video says. actually i used the liquid electric tape thing brushed all the circuit board. but the ESC is kind of a problem, it has two parrelel board so i cant really brush the facing sides of those two boards. i tried sealing the space around though, lol

i dont feel safe stilll, so i hot glued the receiver case except for the place where the connector and crystal goes in. and when i run i wrap tape around there just so water cant go in as easy. even if it does, i still have a layer of rubber formed by the liquid tape protecting most of the circuit board.

the ESC is impossible to seal the case, it has those heat sink thing and iget gets really hot. if u put it in a bag, i guess its fine in cold weather like here, but if its hot i guess it might burn.
i also noticed that no matter how well you seal something in a balloon or a plastic bag, you always end up with slith amount of moisture condensed inside in the end.

So i came up with an idea to waterproof the ESC unit. you could get a small container just enough to put the ESC into it, and fill the container with mineral oil (light), and seal the container, put a heatsink outside of the container with fan if needed for further heat dispersion.

some extreme techno ppl makes computer case out of an aquarium filled with light mineral oil and submerge the entire motherboard and all the cards, including a powerbox into the oil., andseal the aquarium that way they dont get dust on their hardware, and all that amount of oil cools them pretty well too. mineral oil is non conductive, the light grade one pretty much flow like water, it takes the heat away pretty well. if it ESC l gets hotin the oil, i guess you could even make a small radiator to circulate the oil, ahhaha, that would be intense. but it sounds like a cool project for someone to carry out. lol
Old 12-30-2008, 10:56 PM
pede_187

I usually take a couple Sandwich bags and wrap them around the electronics. You can use 2 or 3 bags if you want to be safe. Be sure to get the servo though!
Old 12-31-2008, 01:22 AM
airoscar

ah, i used a smal plastic sample bag to bag the ESC, and tonight after draining two 6-cell packs, the ESC burnt a hole in the bag. lol
Old 12-31-2008, 01:07 PM
ehroof

best bet its to try and keep it dry or get a waterproof esc.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:06 PM
jtiesinga

Here's a question. Will the emaxx or erevo waterproof receiver box be a direct fit for the revo 3.3?
Old 01-01-2009, 03:10 PM
jtiesinga

Also, how in the heck do you fit a receiver with a sandwich bag or balloon over it back in the receiver case?
Old 01-01-2009, 03:23 PM
ehroof

I dont think it will be a direct fit since the chassis is different and if the bag is small enough it should fit with no proplem.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:35 PM
airoscar

you can put the receiver in the case in the bag. and use some zip tie to tie it down to something.