Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Just joined the Midwest Extra 300XS Pilot's Club, now with 3D video and pics!

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Just joined the Midwest Extra 300XS Pilot's Club, now with 3D video and pics!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2003, 05:36 AM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just joined the Midwest Extra 300XS Pilot's Club, now with 3D video and pics!

Well, I just got back from flying my new Midwest Extra 300XS. Only got a couple trim flights in due to the skies darkening, but I can tell I'm really going to like this one!

Here is my setup:
Midwest Extra 300XS, built up kit, 27%, 80" span
Finished weight (dry): About 16 lbs. Hope to get a more accurate reading soon.
Engine: Brison 3.2 swinging a Zinger 22x8, amsoil 100:1, 20oz tank
Radio: Futaba 9C Tx, 149DP Rx, JR 4131's on elev and aileron, 4721 on rudder
Monokote covering in the prototype Extra 200 scheme

After all the building involved with this plane, it was a very satisfying experience to watch it take to the air. Took a small amount of aileron trim and a very small amount of elevator and rudder trim to get it to fly straight. The first flight was relatively short, due to the engine running very rich. A few laps around the field, then in for a landing. Man, this thing slows down great! No bad habits.

After a quick engine adjustment, it was time to see exactly what kind of power I was dealing with. I lined up on the runway, hit the gas, and WOW!!! That engine chewed up the air and spit it out. Before I knew it, I was climbing at a 45 degree angle and still accelerating. So what did I do? Pull vertical! This thing absolutely defies gravity. Before I knew it, the plane was pretty high up, so I throttled back and got down to a more comfortable altitude. Because it was getting dark, I only did some rolls and half Cubans, but the plane tracked very well through the maneuvers. I'd say the right thrust as installed is just about perfect. The plane seemed to drop its nose a little more during right rolls than left ones, so I'll experiment a little with the aileron differential once I get more time on the plane. I did a couple point rolls, and during the brief knife edge moments, I didn't notice much pitch coupling. That lowered Stab/Elevator really seems to be doing its job. Once I get a full day of trimming it out, I'll be able to give a better report on rudder coupling. The last thing I did before landing was see the power/weight ratio I had. I slowed down and pulled vertical at about 1/3 throttle, expecting it to slow down like my other planes. It took quite a while, but the plane did come to a stop. After a second or two of hovering, I hit full power. The acceleration was amazing! I've never flown a plane with this power/weight ratio before. The plane reached flying speed very quickly and I pulled the vertical into a nice Hammerhead. One more hover/accelerate to confirm what I thought I just saw (yep, still a rocket!) and it was time to bring it in for the day. On final approach, the engine quit. The plane glided pretty well, and I brought it in for an uneventful landing. Overall impressions summed up: Docile but responsive, with enough power to blow you away. As you can tell, I like it!

Before I fly it again, I'm going to fine-tune the engine with the cowl on, and check over everything to make sure nothing is coming loose. I haven't installed the wheel pants yet, because at our grass field the pants pick up too much crud. I'll paint and install them this summer.

For all you guys working on this plane, keep plugging away! The results are more than worth it; this plane flies great and you have the satisfaction of flying a plane that you built from a kit.

I'll try to post some pics of the plane tomorrow. It was too dark to get any good shots in after flying it. I didn't take any pics before the maiden because I think it's bad Karma .
Old 02-10-2003, 06:04 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Just joined the Midwest Extra 300XS Pilot's Club, now with 3D video and pics!

Wish I could have stayed to watch it! Sounds like you had some fun.

Let me know, Ill take action photo's for ya
Old 02-11-2003, 04:40 AM
Floater-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XSESIVE!

Congrats Ryan, it looks like I won't be building my Midwest Extra until next winter so I will just have to envy you for now!
Floater
Old 02-11-2003, 04:46 AM
Flyfalcons

Floater,
It's a great kit! Don't be intimidated by all that wood (and there is a TON of it.....). This plane builds just like a 40 size plane, only there is a lot more to do. Of all the larger Extras I have flown, this one is actually very similar to my 40 size GP Extra (kit) in that it is very aerobatic yet seems to have no bad habits at all. I was at the field today, but it was a little dark to get any pics of the plane. Hope to fly it tomorrow and get some pics.
Old 02-12-2003, 05:50 PM
Flyfalcons

And here is why I haven't been able to fly it since. I had it out yesterday and got so frustrated that I didn't even take a picture of the plane in the sunlight. Hopefully I'll get it fixed today.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	54803_12146.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	33651  
Old 02-15-2003, 04:34 AM
Flyfalcons

Default 3D Flight Report

I was able to get the plane back in the air today after replacing the ignition module in the engine. The plane is flying great just aft of the recommended CG and the recommended high rates seem to be just about right for IMAC flying. I will probably add a little rudder and decrease the elevators just a little to get the feel that I want for precision aerobatics. On 3D rates, the plane is predictable and more capable than I expected. Here is a quick breakdown of the maneuvers I was able to accomplish with the plane today:

Elevator: Good, with no wing rocking and good controllability. The nose didn't bobble, but the plane didn't come down too steeply.

Harrier: Good, very little wing rocking and the ailerons had good authority (built stock). Holding full elevator and using enough power to fly resulted in about a 25 degree nose-up attitude. I think the best way to fly this maneuver is to hit the power to get the nose up higher, then use the elevators and power together to keep the nose at about 60 degrees up.

Wall/Parachute: Not bad. The plane wouldn't rotate a full 90 degrees without adding power, but I was doing the entries fairly slow (still building confidence in the wing structure). With a little more speed, the plane should stand up. I would attribute this to a small elevator by today's standards, as well as me only having 30 degrees or so of elevator travel.

Hover/Torque Roll: Very good. The Brison 3.2 has tons of pulling power for this maneuver, hovering at about 1/3 power with plenty of oomph when things get out of shape. Pull-out is spectacular with the Zinger 22x8 prop. The ailerons, built stock, aren't enough to keep the plane for torquing around, so I'll have to angle the nose forward/backward to keep it from rolling. TR rate is quick but comfortable.

Waterfall: Fantastic! The plane winds up really tight, and is well controlled with rudder and ailerons. Fun maneuver with this plane.

Blender: Also fantastic! The plane instantly flattens to a beautiful inverted flat spin. More on the spins below. The transition from downline to spin is quick, violent, and tight. Just the way it should be!

Spins: Normal spins are great. Recovery is quick and the rotation rate is quite comfortable on recommended high rates. Upright flat spins are awesome; very flat with a nice, slow descent rate. Just a little power (1/5 stick or so) was enough to bring the nose up. Inverted flats are super. Just enter an inverted spin and slowly reverse the aileron and add a few clicks of throttle. Juggling the throttle, I could keep a very slow rate of descent, and adding more power and releasing the rudder and aileron pushes the plane right over into a beautiful Waterfall. This plane also does a great Knife Edge Spin! Very tight, with quick rotation when some power is applied. Recovery is instant, which is good because the plane descends fairly quickly in this maneuver.

I'm sure there are a few maneuvers that I did today that I am forgetting to mention here, but overall impressions of this plane are very good. What can I say, it's an Extra! Here are a few pics of my plane. Covering is Yellow, Missile Red, and Royal Blue Monokote with matching Lusterkote paint. As you can see in the pics, the Yellow didn't match very well. I'm going to wait for the paint to fully cure over the next couple weeks, and do some sanding and repainting on the Yellow. Pics to follow in the next few posts.
Old 02-15-2003, 04:40 AM
Flyfalcons

Here I am with my new plane. The wheel pants will be added later, once the grass dries out some. For some reason the pictures make the Royal Blue look a little brighter than it really is, but it still looks great. The plane's scheme is based on the prototype Extra 200, which came out in 1996.

Name:	55366_12146.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	33652  
Old 02-15-2003, 04:42 AM
Flyfalcons

Cockpit area. The cockpit material is 320 grit sandpaper, and the instrument panel is printed from Microsoft Flight Simulator. A pilot will be added later (I've already paid enough to get this thing in the air!) Vinyl graphics are from Rockin' Rose Graphics.

Name:	55367_12146.jpg
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	33653  
Old 02-15-2003, 04:45 AM
Flyfalcons

Side view

Name:	55368_12146.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	33654  
Old 02-15-2003, 04:46 AM
Flyfalcons

Last shot for now.

Name:	55370_12146.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	33655  
Old 02-17-2003, 02:02 AM
twister
My Feedback: (12)

Default extra

Hello, nice airplane!! are the stabs detachable and are the wings 2 piece?
Old 02-17-2003, 02:29 AM
BigBirdFlyer
My Feedback: (13)

Since Ryans not on line I will answer for him. It is a Midwest Extra 300SX. One piece wing and fixed stabs.
Old 02-17-2003, 02:53 AM
Flyfalcons

What Ron said. I have to get a bigger vehicle to transport it!
Old 02-18-2003, 04:08 AM
JohnVH

Pic of it landing today!

He is getting good at wringing it out!! I have some good vid of it that Ill get up later

Name:	56247_167.jpg
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	33656  
Old 02-18-2003, 04:19 AM
twister
My Feedback: (12)

Default extra

hey was wondering would the moki 2.10 power this or not enough?
Old 02-18-2003, 04:24 AM
Flyfalcons

Twister,
I think the big Moki would do well, since I have a 1.8 on my DP Extra and am pretty happy with it. This plane seems to be built around the 2.1, but you are going to realize better performance with the gasser. Mine balanced pretty well with the Brison by putting the rudder servo in the tail. If you have the Moki then give it a shot as you can swap out the engine later if you aren't satisfied. The plane 'feels' just a little heavier than my DP Extra/Moki combo in the air but slows down very well and actually Waterfalls much better than the DP Extra. Come down to the field some time and have a look at it.
Old 02-18-2003, 05:44 AM
Pugsley-RCU
My Feedback: (15)

Default Hey....

Sweet...I assume you figured out the Brison issue?

Plane looks real sweet.

I'm working on a DP Extra as we speak (type). Putting a OS 1.60 in it. Just plan on IMAC'ing it....not really 3D....glad to hear you like your DP with the Moki.

Great job on the Midwest.

Take care,

Pug
Old 02-18-2003, 05:46 AM
JohnVH

Here is the Vid of Ryan thrashing his new plane, hehe.

Its 1:20 and about 2.5MB, its large, but worth it!

Wringing out the extra!

Let me know if it works for ya
Old 02-18-2003, 05:50 AM
Pugsley-RCU
My Feedback: (15)

Default John.....

Video looks killer......

I guess that answers my last question.....

Great video.....

Pug
Old 02-18-2003, 05:53 AM
Flyfalcons

Thanks for posting the video, John. It turned out well. Next time I'll do more than (attempted) waterfalls and Torque Rolling.
Old 02-18-2003, 05:54 AM
Flyfalcons

Jon,
I'm using a borrowed ignition module. Mine is going back tomorrow to get repaired or replaced .
Old 02-18-2003, 05:58 AM
Robert300XS
My Feedback: (2)

Get some pictures of the throw!

I too have one, but I have a BME 50 in it and my weight is 16 lbs dry. I still would really love to build another one and make it lighter, or possibly use the plans and make a lighter fusealage. I am about to take the ailerons and extend them into the propblast, but I want to jack up the throw some more before I do that.
Old 02-18-2003, 06:40 AM
jerrysu29

Default FlyFalcons I recognized Your flying site!

Hi Ryan nice plane, cool Video! I recognized the flying site when I seen the Pic of you standing by your Extra 300XS.
I Have an Uncle living in Renton Wa. . The man that got me started in the hobby when I was 5 years old a long time ago. The last time I was out to visit my uncle was in 98, and if I remember correctly the flying site was smaller and they were farming just to the East of the Grass Field. So Tell me I'm I correct?
My Uncle and I did allot of shopping at Wagoner's in Auburn every year when I came out on vacation, usually in Aug. Is Waggoners still Open ? There was always an IMAA show At Marrymoor Park we flew in every year we went to visit
Old 02-18-2003, 06:58 AM
Flyfalcons

Jerry,
Yes, you are talking about the correct field. The field East of the runway is currently flattened, so we don't have to worry about looking for our planes in the tall grass anymore. Wagner's Hobby Shop was bought by Ultimate Hobbies and is completely revamped. It still has a friendly atmosphere and Harvey Wagner works there part time, just to keep busy.

Robert,
The throws that I have are nothing spectacular, but I'll try to get some pics up soon. I double-beveled the rudder and elevator but not the ailerons. I wish I had increased the aileron size, because even with Ailevator mixing, I can't prevent the plane from rotating when hovering. I didn't want to mess with the ailerons since I was building this plane as an IMAC competition plane and didn't know if I was going to mess up something that had been tested and perfected. Maybe someday I'll do another wing with larger ailerons.
Old 03-02-2003, 06:02 AM
JohnVH

Sweet flying plane! He makes it do more each time out

Name:	59530_167.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	33657  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.