Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Aluminium Spur Gear

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 05:38 PM
ShadeyBloke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aluminium Spur Gear

Who can help a stranded lady driver, my 25 eats spur gears please tell me where in the UK can i purchase an aluminium spur gear from. pleaseXXX
Old 05-12-2005, 06:02 PM
radioman789

Default RE: Aluminium Spur Gear

hi shady and welcome to savage bashing all i can suggest is make sure your mesh is good and dont go with a metal spur as something has to give ( there is plastic in the gear box but its a major strip down to replace and a spur gear is like 10 mins tops hope this helps
Old 05-12-2005, 07:02 PM
cardriverx

i agree totally with radioman, with a good mesh, a plastic spur will last for gallons and gallons of gas. so far my current spur has lasted about 5 gallons
Old 05-12-2005, 07:09 PM
:Green:

I agree too.... but, why would something have to give?
Old 05-12-2005, 07:12 PM

better yet, why would running a metal spur cause something to have to give that a plastic spur wouldnt?

Slipper clutch.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:29 PM
idvsego

I am a perfect example. my savage landed wrong side up. smack on the head. Unknown to me, the engine position had shifted and the mesh was off. so I flipped it, gunned the gas and stripped the spur gear. now if that spur gear had been metal, something else might have been damaged. soemthing that would have been harder and more expensive to replace. as it was, I just had to get a $4 gear that took a couple of minutes to replace. and FWIW, the hobby shop guy almsot yelled NO when I asked him if I should get a metal gear. that was enough for me.
Old 05-12-2005, 08:22 PM

That dont mean anything, only means your mesh was off. Ive ran a Robinson metal gear set with a bad mesh before and all it did was shave up the teeth on the cluch bell.
my LHS recomends the Robinson Racing gears, thats who turned me on to them.
It dont matter to me I run both but have been running the plastic ones lately because of the weight factor and more gear size choices.

also the guy who owns the LHS bashes with a hopped up Savage 25 with a Robinson Racing metal gear set, he swears by them....go figure...[8D]
Old 05-13-2005, 11:32 AM
bugdry

I was running the Robinson Racing gear set too. Then I fliped it as well and messed up my mesh. I replaced my then stripped spur with an aluminum one from Golden Horizons. I only used the aluminum one cuz it was like $30, and a new Robinson Racing set was $50. I didn't need to waste the money on a new pinion when mine was fine. I don't like plastic ones...too weak. IMO
Old 05-13-2005, 12:09 PM
thunderw0lf

ORIGINAL: Greenghost

better yet, why would running a metal spur cause something to have to give that a plastic spur wouldnt?

Slipper clutch.

I've been wondering that myself. Seems to me that it would actually be better because you would be able to set the slipper looser without melting it making it easier on the rest of the drive train. The only real drawback would added weight and rotating mass. A titanium 47 tooth spur would be nice though.
Old 05-13-2005, 12:24 PM

I agree. I think most of the resposes you get on this are one persons idea read and then spread. I really think alot of people post stuff that they have only read in forums and not actually experienced first hand.
A titanium gear woul be cool, probably would be expencive though...[8D]
Old 05-13-2005, 01:05 PM
thunderw0lf

ORIGINAL: Greenghost

I agree. I think most of the resposes you get on this are one persons idea read and then spread. I really think alot of people post stuff that they have only read in forums and not actually experienced first hand.
A titanium gear woul be cool, probably would be expencive though...[8D]

Savage Central has a 49 tooth titanium spur gear from GPM Racing for $48. I'd like to get a 47 tooth though, to keep my SS gear ratio the same as stock. I wonder if you'd need the hardened clutchbell to run with it though?

[link=http://store.savagess.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_27&products_id=505]Titanium Spur[/link]
Old 05-13-2005, 01:59 PM

ORIGINAL: thunderw0lf
Savage Central has a 49 tooth titanium spur gear from GPM Racing for $48. I'd like to get a 47 tooth though, to keep my SS gear ratio the same as stock. I wonder if you'd need the hardened clutchbell to run with it though?
[link=http://store.savagess.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_27&products_id=505]Titanium Spur[/link]
Hey, I just may have to try one of those. kinda pricey though and yes the one product reveiw said to get a hardened bell because they stripped the stock one in two tanks.
Ive already got a couple hardend bells in my box. this is what I ment about using the plastic spurs because of more gear choices, with the metal stuff your limited.
Old 05-13-2005, 07:08 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Alloy spur gears are good for people that cannot set the lash correctly. Me my self I do not like the extra rotating weigh and would rather break a spur then something in my transmission. But each to there own. [8D]
Old 05-13-2005, 08:38 PM
Philster

Yep...a metal spur is compensation for not being able to set the mesh properly. And the metal spur comes with other risks, such as not providing a weak point to save the tranny.

To each his own, always. But know the risks.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:43 PM
thunderw0lf

ORIGINAL: Philster

Yep...a metal spur is compensation for not being able to set the mesh properly. And the metal spur comes with other risks, such as not providing a weak point to save the tranny.

And if one sets the mesh properly and the spur gear melts because the clutch bell is too hot??????????????
Old 05-14-2005, 05:45 AM
Geeza!

My 25, has done a few gallons on the stock plastic spur gear, still looks good, however my 4.6 was eating spurs, coz of clutch slipping, which obviously made the CB hot, after toasting 2 stock clutches and spur gears, in a very short time, i decided on an allu clutch, and vented CB, Mugen 3 shoe allu clutch, including Mugen clutch nut, Ofna vented clutch bell, problem solved!
I really wouldn't use a metal spur gear, the stock ones are plastic for a reason, and cheap to replace, i see many posts with peep's melting spurs, and they are told it's down to poor meshing, which sometimes it is, but with the 28 engines, a lot of the probs are caused by clutch slippage
Old 05-15-2005, 05:31 PM
hpisavage28

right on Greenghost, i run robinson never had a problem
Old 05-16-2005, 10:49 AM
Philster

ORIGINAL: thunderw0lf

ORIGINAL: Philster

And if one sets the mesh properly and the spur gear melts because the clutch bell is too hot??????????????
Then something else is not right, like the slipper or the way the clutch hooks up. A metal gear is compensation, which is why people will defend it to the end. I am tempted to drop in a metal gear and let my slipper slip more or start experimenting with clutches and clutch set ups.