Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Difficulty Landing with Only 1/2 a Horizontal Stab

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Difficulty Landing with Only 1/2 a Horizontal Stab

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 11:09 PM
Jonesy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difficulty Landing with Only 1/2 a Horizontal Stab

Was out enjoying a nice sunny day on Friday. Met a few new people which is always nice.

Took my U-Can-Do 46 up in the air for another flight. Flying around no problem, flip it upside down to do some inverted flight, when all of a sudden off flys the right side Horizontal stab and along with that goes the right elevator.

It took two tries to get it in, my fingers were shaking so badly, but surprisingly enough it was very easy to land.

Picture in my Gallery
Old 02-27-2005, 11:35 PM
jcflysrc
My Feedback: (50)

Default RE: Difficulty Landing with Only 1/2 a Horizontal Stab

Good job, and WELL done! I never lost a stab, but just the other day while doing the preflight check, I did find my stab to be loose. 30 min epoxy gave way after about a year of flying. CA'd it back in place and never looked back. Just glad I caught it when I did. UCD's are pretty forgiving huh?

Jim C
Old 02-28-2005, 12:01 AM
smokingcrater

I lost mine landing one time, got a little too low to the tall weeds at the end of the field and half was ripped clean off. I ALMOST gave it full power and went around for a couple laps, but chickened out instead. I've always wondered to this day if it would have flown with half of it gone...
Old 02-28-2005, 12:02 AM
Jonesy

Yes those huge control surfaces are nice, my stab was a little loose after closer inspection. Gonna make a stronger stab and get back out there.

Had someone tell me I am using to much of a prop, using a 10x6 with a OS46. He was saying I should use a 4" Pitch prop? Any suggestions.

I figure I oversped this aircraft at one time which caused this failure, due to flutter.