Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Wing Mfg. B-17

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 08:22 AM
Greenn17h

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wing Mfg. B-17

Anyone know anything about this plane? I've heard that Wing mfg. planes use the term "scale" very loosely. It looks pretty good to me in the pictures, of course the only pics I have seen are from the company, does anyone have any other pics? What about building and flying? thanks
Old 04-13-2005, 09:27 AM
av8r4aa
My Feedback: (82)

Default RE: Wing Mfg. B-17

I purchased the kit and it looks like a B-17 to me.
Nacelles look a flat on the sides but other than that its dandy
It is still in the box unstarted.
Good price on the short kit .they may have a laser cut wood kit available now not sure.
I plan on 4 OS 26 engines.
Old 05-04-2005, 11:03 PM
alpinestar

I bought the B-17 kit at the Toleo show last year..... Still wrapping up my Se5a project so I haven't started the bomber yet. The Wing B-17 has a really thick airfoil & huge fin/rudder area, so this thing will fly as close to a cub as a multi-engine plane can get. At first, i thought for sure I'd go with a bunch of 40 4-strokes, but I;m actually thinking of going electric with this one.
Wing does offer a laser cut former kit for the B-17, has all the formers for the fuse which is built in left & right halves then joined together.
The nacelles are flat, but some have used some slabs of balsa to add rounded sides.
This isn't a Don Smith eternity & small fortune scale masterpiece, but it's a b-17 for sure!
Old 05-07-2005, 03:44 PM
M_Callahan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought one Toledo myself. 4 or 5 years ago. This has been one of thoses kits that
you work on a little and set it aside. Really should lock down and get going on that bird.
I am still trying to figure out fuel tank placement, and I don't like the way they do the top
of the fuse. The engine nacels are very slab sided, but that can be fixed.

I was thinking of 4-cycles in mine too.

Mike Callahan
Old 12-18-2005, 08:55 PM
alpinestar

I've started a build thread for in the twin & muti area. title is "wing mfg b-17 build". hopefully this will be helfpul to all those about to dive into this project!!!
Old 12-21-2005, 10:40 PM
triflyer
My Feedback: (3)

I am building a Wing Mfg B17 and find it very easy to build. I opted for the laser cut formers that Wing now has. These are cut from lite ply and are well done. A bit of a problem though, was the first batch of formers cut were cut to "hot" , leaving a glaze on the former where they were cut. This causes the glue, particularly CA, to not bond properly. You must sand or scrape the surface slightly for the glue to properly bond. I contacted Dan ( the owner) of Wing Mfg about this problem and he indicated that he was aware of it and that the problem had been addressed and corrected. This is a builders "kit" and is not intended for beginners as it allows alot of room for personal building options. It was not intended to be an "expert scale" project, but is designed for the weekend warrior, sport scale type of flyer and has good flying qualities. The flat side nacelles were designed to allow for maximim cooling capablities,I was told. By cutting the flaps at the back of cowls to allow air out, you can round out the nacelles to look more scale. I am using Robart retracts and (4) 4c Magnum 30's. I beleive I will be able to intall 4oz tanks in nacelles along with the retracts, eliminating the need for tanks in wings and the extra collector tanks in cowls. I timed the 30's with 4oz tanks and can obtain about 12+ minutes of running time. This should be plenty of time for this type of plane. You can add more scale features as desired to make an even more enteresting plane, but the kits' overall effect is good. I now have to fuselage and tail group done except for plastic pieces, and about to start the wing.

Curt Spicer