Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Newbie needs help

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 11:19 AM
Noobnoob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie needs help

Hello everyone!

I am new to the rc scene and just purchased my first Nitro rc buggy the HPI trophy 3.5 buggy. I love the thing so far and I wanted to upgrade it so I figured I would start with a hump pack. This car is kinda new to the states but has been out in Europe for a while so parts and information for it are hard to find on US websites so I asked the customer service at Rcplanet where I purchased the car for guidance. He set me up with an Ofna 5 cell 1700 Nimh battery pack and a Hitec (PN 57215S) high channel switch harness. Here is the problem, the batterypack fits fine in the compartment and the switch wire fits into the reciever fine BUT the battery pack does not fit into the switch harness, as the male end is too big to recieve the female end. What can I do? I would prefer to keep the battery pack and replace the switch but I don't know which one will fit both the reciever and the battery pack. Can anyone with more experience help me out with this?

Old 03-26-2012, 11:33 AM
nitroexpress

Default RE: Newbie needs help

ORIGINAL: Noobnoob

Hello everyone!

I am new to the rc scene and just purchased my first Nitro rc buggy the HPI trophy 3.5 buggy. I love the thing so far and I wanted to upgrade it so I figured I would start with a hump pack. This car is kinda new to the states but has been out in Europe for a while so parts and information for it are hard to find on US websites so I asked the customer service at Rcplanet where I purchased the car for guidance. He set me up with an Ofna 5 cell 1700 Nimh battery pack and a Hitec (PN 57215S) high channel switch harness. Here is the problem, the batterypack fits fine in the compartment and the switch wire fits into the reciever fine BUT the battery pack does not fit into the switch harness, as the male end is too big to recieve the female end. What can I do? I would prefer to keep the battery pack and replace the switch but I don't know which one will fit both the reciever and the battery pack. Can anyone with more experience help me out with this?

Use a single sided razor blade or exacto knife and slice off the raised area on the one side of themale battery plug. You don't need it. The plugs should fit together fine.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:51 AM
Noobnoob

I was thinking that but was afraid to in case I needed to return it but it matches up fine.  Thank you for the help
Old 03-26-2012, 06:20 PM
JohnP2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the forum. HPI 3.5, eh? That is a buggy that in the back of my mind I have been wanting for a long time (although I have three buggies already and plan on going "on-road" next).

However, I would LOVE to hear your experiences with that buggy. I know that will be an "impulse buy" for me soon - but I've been fighting the urges. Send pics and/or videos if you have them!!

The only thing that stopped me recently from that impulse buy is the parts support. HPI does not seem to support this model much more anymore. Is their a variant buggy they support more that share the same parts?

Please let us know how you are liking it (especially as a newbie). I doubt it would take much to trigger me to go buy one - as mentioned, I am REALLY intrigued with that buggy. ;-)

Old 03-27-2012, 06:23 AM
Noobnoob

Hi John,
Thank you for the welcome. I love this thing so far but I'm not sure how much of that love is this buggy or the fact that I wanted a nitro car since I was a kid either way I am happy. The buggy seems really well built it has a lot of stock aluminum parts, it is "waterproofed" which is what sold me on it. Not that I plan on drowning it but for my first car I wanted something that was going to be durabe and stand up to a lot of bashing and to not have to worry about it getting wet was a plus for me. The parts support is a bit of a pain in the ass and something that I did not realize until after I ordered it. I emailed HPI directly to ask them about parts support and they replied that they are currently working on getting parts distributed here in the states. They (HPI) told me that a lot of the parts on this buggy match up with the lightning series. I was able to find mostly every kind of replacement part I thought I would need in the future from dealers in the UK so I ordered some backups as well as a few aluminum hop ups already just so i don't end up breaking something and having to wait 10 days for a part to be able to play. The engine on the buggy is the F3.5 which HPI is putting in the new DS8 RTR model so engine parts shoudn't be a problem in the near future. Driving the buggy is loads of fun it eat's up grass and dirt wit no problem and is pretty quick, I have been out bashing with my friend who has a traxxas jato and although that thing is super fast this buggy is no slouch and my fuel lasts twice as long as the Jato which is another plus. My other friend ordered the DS8 rtr and should be recieving it this week so this weekend we will be out bashing and I can give you a comparison to that model. I don't have any pics or videos yet but will try to get some posted soon. I have caught the RC bug and am already looking at getting a monster truck to add to the fun.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:58 AM
mattster1971

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Noob, Itoo was a noob years ago, then I was a born again noob this year. Igot my first Kyosho and Futaba radio when Iwas 12 back in 1980's Iloved that thing for what it was back then. Had a very fast engine in it that would burn my battery pack in 4 minutes lol. It was aKyosho Javelin, 4wd, originally chain driven,converted to belt. I always wanted nitro when Iwas younger so Isaid when my son is old enough to enjoy them Iwill get he and Ia car. Iended up with the Jato from Traxxas for us both. He is 9, and much better at driving, I am way too hard on the throttle and end up with multiple fractures often unfortunately. He has actually cried for me before when Idestroyed mine into a fence. It was reborn a short time later. I don't know much about the model you have but it sounds like a fun product. I know Ihear about hpi often. WELCOME
Old 03-27-2012, 10:10 AM
Noobnoob

Hey Mattster,

Thanx for the welcome.  Before this nitro car all I ever owned was the cheap tyco's back in the late 80's.  They were great for a day or 2 until you broke them but it only took seeing a real RC car once when I was a kid to plant that seed in my brain and now I can finally afford to join in the fun.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:24 AM
tommygun32

Welcome back to the fun and the big U Noobnoob. I wish I could answer your questions, however, I have no experience with the vehicle your posting about.

Just one thing though......in 5 years time if you're still into the hobby (hopefully) and you've been through possibly 20 vehicles....are you still going to be known as Noobnoob??

I'm just funning you mate

Welcome, keep posting and have fun.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:33 AM
Noobnoob

Yes I'll still be Noobnoob Because by then you guys will still have 5+ years experience on me
Thanx for the welcome