Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

What engine for UcanDo3D

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

What engine for UcanDo3D

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2003, 05:55 PM
clemrick
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What engine for UcanDo3D

Any Ideas about putting Tower Hobbies 75 on ucando3d arf from GP. Is the cowl wide enough to accomodate the head on the TH 75? Enough weight to balance that long fuse without having to add lots of lead up front? What about servos, do I need to buy high torque servos?..........................
Thanks for your input,
Clemrick
Old 11-18-2003, 07:20 AM
JohnS

Default RE: What engine for UcanDo3D

A guy at our field test flew his U-Can-Do with a tower 75 at our field yesterday. It flew great. He had the cowl off for the test day, so I really don't know how the cowl is going to fit. I don't think he added any weight, but it did come out nose-heavy. He flew it that way and liked it. Our best flyer took the controls and said it flew fine.[8D]
Old 11-18-2003, 02:21 PM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: clemrick

Any Ideas about putting Tower Hobbies 75 on ucando3d arf from GP. Is the cowl wide enough to accomodate the head on the TH 75? Enough weight to balance that long fuse without having to add lots of lead up front? What about servos, do I need to buy high torque servos?..........................
Thanks for your input,
Clemrick
there is a 50+ thread over in the 3D forum, check it out, LOADS of info!
As far as servos I have Futaba 9202's all around except for the rudder where I have a Hitec 5645mg. Its not required to have digi's but decent servos are a must if you ask me. its a 3d plane so that means the surfaces will get a workout. centering power and hold ability is key here

good luck
Old 11-18-2003, 05:17 PM
trailingedge
My Feedback: (1)

While digitals aren't a must, you really need to put some good servos in there. I'm running a couple of 9011's on the elevator and a 4131 on the rudder and 531's on the ailerons with a 6 volt pack. I'm still tuning right now, but when the battery get too far back to be conveinient, I'll start replacing the rear servos with overkill stuff that I can transfer to the bigger boys (8411 and so on). If you have the TH on hand then I don't see why it wouldn't work. If you're buying, then I would highly recommend a YS. I had a few troubles with mine in the beginning, but it was definitely worth the extra trouble I went through to get things right (machining garbage in the carb and regulator). Haven't touched the needle since the maiden (three weeks ago) with instant transition and gobs of power.
Old 11-28-2003, 02:36 PM
38lite

NOTHING BETTER THAN A OS 91 PUMPED OR NOT 38LITE
Old 11-28-2003, 03:11 PM
Dewey2
My Feedback: (24)

satio 150 with pump dont think it needs it but tank on cg lot better than a os 91 thats my opinine but i like satio and ys for aerobatics think i have a 17/4 or 5 on it cant remember what they said it was works good
Old 11-28-2003, 03:37 PM
Shogun
My Feedback: (2)

My nod goes to the Saito 100. I flew an OS 91 FS prior to installing the 100 and the Saito is a much better choice. We have a guy in our club that flies his with a .91FX and it's a good combo as well. Personally I like the four strokes better for this plane and the type of flying it was intended for.

On the subject of servos, if your budget allows for it, go digital. The Hitec 5645/5625 are perfect additions to this plane. I started out with 605BB's in mine and simply didn't have the controllability I wanted. Replaced the rudder sero with a 5645 and the elevatos with 5625's and now it's dead locked in in a hover, made a HUGE difference in the controllability of the airplane. Ailerons can be analog, I have 545BB's on mine and it flies fine with them. Replace all of the control rods with 4-40, it's a must.

Go digital, you won't be sorry dou did!