Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

to port or not to port that is the question

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

to port or not to port that is the question

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 04:40 PM
RcRicer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default to port or not to port that is the question

I have a few questions on porting and polishing. I have heard of this before and I have seen it on a full scale engine but I am a bit lost when it comes to an rc engine.

1 How many of you have done this and what are the gains?

2 What is the down side to this? All this gain has got to have a downside.

3 Where can I find a tutorial on how to do this?

Is it worth doing to a car I will use for drifting?

Old 08-07-2006, 04:53 PM
Frank88888888

Default RE: to port or not to port that is the question

Ok ive never done this and i dont really have much of a clue but this is a pretty nice site for it
http://www.nitrorc.com/mods/engines/...tm#mod%20intro
hope that helps you out
Old 08-07-2006, 05:06 PM
125cchyperman

Ok after reading what you have said. Yes there is an upside but it can go down hill very fast. Porting and polishing is mainly just porting on these. You can make the ports larger but you can not get the inside of the sleeve. If you hit the inside of the sleeve with the dremel then you have hit the chrome. The chrome is much harder then the brass sleeve that it covers and from the cycling of the piston it will flake the chrome off. This will cause a loss in compression and will also scar the piston and sleeve. Which will further more cause the engine to loss compression. That is the downside. The upside is that you can gain power and torque. Some wills say that it not really noticable and others will say that it is noticable. But it does increase power. There's not much of a difference between a high powered and a not so high powered engine beside how the ports are shaped and positioned. You can gain a lot of power if you know what you are doing. But you can also as I said earlier take a perfectly good engine and turn it into a nice paper weight. Believe me one slip up and you will need a new engine.

Is it worth it. Well thats up to you, if your racing then yes if not then i would say no. But you will have to decide on weaather it is worth the risk. If you do decide to do it I would start on a old crappy still working engine and see if you can get any performance gains from it. But do start on an engine that either no longer works or an engne that you dont care about if it does not work after the work has been done to it.

I hope I have helped you in some way. Good luck in your choice
Old 08-10-2006, 04:58 PM
RcRicer

well I won't port it yet. I will save up a few checks then I will buy a new car and use my old kyosho engine.