Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Another BME 110 question

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 09:49 PM
MikeEast
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Another BME 110 question

I have some things Im curious about with my 110.

1. Right after startup when warming up the engine I will let it sit and just idle for about 20-30 seconds before I touch the throttle. Then I slowly ease the throttle up to about 1/2 throttle and let it sit a sec, then it will not respond from about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. At that point it will sortof miss a couple of times and then suddenly jump to 3/4 thottle or wherever I have the throttle set at. Once you let it clear its throat at full throttle for about 10 seconds it is good to go.

Then on landing I switch to a lower idle to bring it in, at the lower idle setting ( just low enough to slow it down and get it on the ground) it idles rough and the throttle response is a little jumpy. If you turn it into the wind and takeoff again it will sputter momentarily but once it clears its throat on takeoff it is good to go again. During flight I have a higher idle speed and the engine runs flawlessly.

Anyone else experiencing anything like this??
Old 04-03-2005, 10:03 PM
mselby
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Another BME 110 question

I had a similar problem. I purchased two of the early versions of the 110. It turned out that the problem was with the ignition. CH was aware of the problem. Their explanation of the problem was not clear but related to some type of heat breakdown. One ignition did what you described and then ultimately expired. The other ignition began to exhibit the same symptoms. I contacted BME, Keith was out at the time and the person who answered referred me to CH. CH repaired both ignitions and there have been no further problems.
Mike
Old 04-04-2005, 06:24 AM
ifshnee-RCU

BigNed
Mine did same. Low needle a little bit too lean (if ignition is ok).
Old 04-04-2005, 08:05 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Funny, I had my engine do that at the contest this weekend.
When I got home, I checked it out and turned the high end needle, in about 1/2 turn.
Engine was too rich.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:30 AM
MikeEast

Ok, that sound like High end too rich and low end too lean? I leaned out the high end about 1/16 turn the other day and it ran ok. It runs really good at just above idle i.e. in a harrier or elevator so Im afraid to mess with the low end needle adjustment. Im pretty new to gas engines.

Do you guys also get a misting of a heavy black "tar like" smut on your plane after a flight? I get it on mine after each flight. It comes off but it is REAL thick stuff and mostly on the right side (left wing)
Old 04-04-2005, 01:24 PM
Geistware

OK, just fixed that yesterday but on the right wing of my plane.
The high end is too rich.
ORIGINAL: BigNed

Ok, that sound like High end too rich and low end too lean? I leaned out the high end about 1/16 turn the other day and it ran ok. It runs really good at just above idle i.e. in a harrier or elevator so Im afraid to mess with the low end needle adjustment. Im pretty new to gas engines.

Do you guys also get a misting of a heavy black "tar like" smut on your plane after a flight? I get it on mine after each flight. It comes off but it is REAL thick stuff and mostly on the right side (left wing)
Old 04-04-2005, 01:35 PM
MikeEast

Thanks! I was warned about leaning it out anymore but I MIGHT make another very small adjustment and see what happens. Last thing I want to do is damage the engine.
Old 04-04-2005, 01:38 PM
Geistware

I really don't think you have to worry about running the engine too lean and causing damage. Make sure you are not running your oil/gas mix on the lean side and you should be OK. Gas is not like glow. Running the engine lean causes excessive heat but if you keep that to a minimum you should be OK.
Old 04-04-2005, 01:41 PM
MikeEast

OK,
I am running Amsoil 50:1 2.5 oz/gal per my instructions. I will give it a go and see what happens.

Thanks Geistware. I will report back once I get a chance to run it.
Old 04-06-2005, 02:24 PM
flyme2dmoon

Funny, the same exact thing happened with my 110 yesterday on its first flight. I didn't mess with the needles yet since I was only able to get one flight. I'll turn in the needles a little bit next time.
Old 04-06-2005, 07:29 PM
RTK

I would feel more comfortable running the low needle lean and always slightly rich on the top. I set all my gas engines for the leanest low needle setting that will allow for good transitions and reliable idle. I always back the high needle off by my ear or 200+ with a tach.
Old 04-07-2005, 03:01 AM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ralph,

I have to agree with you on that. Any engine that gets hot enough to over heat the rings will suffer loss of compression and possible bearing damage. You will also substantially increase the number of dead stick landings you will do. Then again, some people like to be committed to every landing.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:50 AM
RTK

Pat
Dead sticks are fun sometimes when large air planes are parked in the danger zone, really makes those peoples eyes get BIG.

As for my 110, it has never exhibited the above mentioned characteristics. Then again I adjusted the needles right off the bat.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:22 PM
MikeEast

Problem solved. Ignition wasnt working properly. Keith and I ran it out Friday, observed the problem and then replaced the ignition. It was a totally different engine on the low end, smoooooth as silk all the way through the full range. The ignition on the 2nd cylinder just want picking up until about 4000RPMs or so.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:46 PM
RTK

BigNed-Glad to see the problem is solved.
People have said a lot of things about the BME 110, But until you have owned one you will never know what a sweeeeet engine it really is.