Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Helimax
Reload this Page >

Tail Rotor??? question?

Community
Search
Notices
Helimax This is for all your Helimax questions and comments.

Tail Rotor??? question?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 01:13 AM
Revo_Rash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tail Rotor??? question?

I'm new to the whole heli thing. And I know that the AXE CP is not the same as a belt driven tail. But when I throttle up it takes almost half throttle before my tail rotor will spin up on it's own. the whole time I'm throttling up I have to hold pretty hard right tail before the system will take over, is this normal?
Old 08-13-2007, 01:27 AM
s_mcflurry

Default RE: Tail Rotor??? question?

Yes, mine behaves the same way. If you've trimmed it so that the head is still holding (more or less) while hovering then that's about right.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:36 AM
Revo_Rash

Great thanks, now what does the gyro setting on the 3 in 1 do for the heli if adjusted? sorry so many questions just trying to learn all I can about it.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:09 AM
s_mcflurry

From the manual:
Gyro Gain – Turn clockwise to increase gain. Typically too little gyro gain causes the tail to slowly move around and drift. With the gyro gain too high, you will notice a very fast oscillation in the tail known as "Wag." This adjustment is not very critical so please don’t spend a lot of time trying to get "the best" setting possible.

Tail Rotor Trim – If the helicopter wants to drift one direction in a stable hover then try using this adjustment. The adjustment is very sensitive so only make small changes. Turn clockwise to add right tail rotor trim.
Comments:
Gyro Gain - I find that if I turn this too much counter clockwise (if I remember correctly) then the head is really stiff and yaw control isn't very smooth and snaps from from one point to another. I like it smoother than this so at the moment mine is at the 11 o'clock position. I haven't experienced the tail wag it's mentioning.

Tail Rotor Trim - Some say it should read "If the tail wants to drift..." rather than "If the helicopter wants to drift..." and I tend to agree. If I turn this one too much to counter clockwise (I think), then it'll sound like the tail is surging, like it's giving extra juice every other second or so but the head still keeps in position while it's doing this. This is at the 12 o'clock position for me.

It's almost as if both are working in concert and changing one affects the other - that's the impression I'm getting anyway. Make gradual changes to them (with the included plastic screw driver) to see which works best for you. You may want to mark their current positions and then start fiddling with them.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:57 AM
Revo_Rash

Thanks, I've adjusted my tail rotor trim on the 3 in 1 already to about the 1 o'clock position and this seems to hold the tail pretty well I still have to input a little right tail to maintain heading which I don't mind. but my copter does like to drift to the left quite abit on take off and in hover. and i've checked to make sure the swashplate was level before I start and I've checked my trim on the RX and have still been playing with that. Sometimes it flies no problem other times it drifts pretty liberally, I was wondering if the gyro trim would help elminate some of this left drift. If you go back to the helimax website and watch the trailer for this model you'll notice about half way through the large file that when it shows a close up of the 3 in 1 both of these settings are at the 3 o'clock position. I know they vary from each model but didn't know if I should be adjusting these settings more than just a few milimeters at a time. mayby say like 1/16th turns or 1/8th turns at a time. I dont want to get to drastic as this is my first heli and I really don't feel like collecting parts off the pavement. Thanks for your insite. and answers so far.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:40 AM
jmann71

Drifting to the left on takeoff is normal and a Axe or any other tail rotor heli is NOT going to stay in one spot. BTW the gyro is for the tail only. As for adjustment, i would go in even smaller increments.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:17 AM
s_mcflurry

I don't know how wise this is but I've made huge adjustments just to see what the result would be. I'd test the extremes, then I'd go half way, then I'd test half way of that. I found that the helicopter didn't go haywire and that it didn't become uncontrollable all of the sudden. Rather, it become a little sloppy and the tail required a little more work to keep in line...but the helicopter was still flyable. Now, I'm not advising you make huge adjustments - especially since you're still working on your hover - just something to keep in mind about the POTs.