Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

PTS 2.6m Comp ARF Yak

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 09:42 PM
PTS
My Feedback: (153)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PTS 2.6m Comp ARF Yak

Well here it goes! I know there has been lots of info posted on the 2.6m Yak but what the heck, whats one more going to hurt. I will post every aspect of my build, and please any suggestion and or criticisim please!

Thanks,

Perry
PTS

2.6m Composite ARF Yak
DA-100 on tuned pipes
JR 9303 w/ 8611A's
Fromeco
Much more...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50491.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	263188  
Old 04-25-2005, 10:23 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: PTS 2.6m Comp ARF Yak

Great setup, your going to be very happy!
Old 04-26-2005, 08:01 AM
Mokken
My Feedback: (63)

Yes... Enjoy!!!! I promise you will!!!!
Old 04-26-2005, 02:58 PM
PTS

Hello!

I am not a real fan of the way the canopy hatch is mounted due to drilling holes in the fuselage for the retention hardware. A friend of mine on his 2.3 Extra suggested that I install the canopy with hardware from BVM which includes a hatch align pin set and a hatch latch. Slide the canopy forward into the pins and lock the canopy down with the hatch latch on the rear. Let me know what you think of this...

www.bvmjets.com

Hatch Align Pin Set Part# bvm5515
Hatch Latch Part# bvm5510

Thanks,

Perry
Old 04-26-2005, 04:10 PM
WILDMAN 420
My Feedback: (1)

HI Perry,

You will love your new plane with that set-up, as for the canopy i did the same as yo uare thinking, but i made my own latches, the only problem i had was that the holes wore obround due to vibration, so i added some wood behind the holes to stop that, and the canopy vibrated badly until i put some foam rubber under it, i wish i had known about these latches before they look like a better set-up than mine
Old 04-26-2005, 04:19 PM
Mike3579
My Feedback: (56)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PTS I too didn't like the way the canapy went on plus I wanted to have fast access to the radio compartment. I used two wooden dowls up front and two pring loaded sliders from Planes Plus I believe thay are made by rocket city hardware. It worked out awesome!!! Just slide the front of the canopy in the dowl holes I drilled in the fuse pull back the sliders and lock it in. What ever you do make sure you put square pieces of ply to reinforce the holes for the dowls and the holes for the sliders. Here are some pics. The came out crappy my cam batts were going dead.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63873.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	263537   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92043.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	263538   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42939.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	263539  
Old 04-26-2005, 05:20 PM
3D ONdaEDGE

About the canopy hardware. I have a DR hobbies 2.6 Extra which is the exact same construction as the Comp ARF. Anyway, I needed easy access to the harch because I am running litium batteries. At first I was gonna use the quick latch from BVM, then I decide against it. Then I thought about putting 2 dowels in the front for alignment and only using two bolts in the rear. That would be easy and simple and quick. But, I noticed that the canopy frame adds quite a bit of stiffness to the fuse sides. Without the canopy on, you can squeeze the sides together quite a bit, but with the canopy frame just taped on the sided, you can tell it stiffens it up considerably. I have finally decided to mount it with 2 alignment dowel and 4 bolts to give me that little bit of extra rigidity. I dont know if the Yak is the same as the Extra, but if it is you may want to take that into consideration. I dont think that it has caused any failures so far, but I figured that they wanted you to mount it they way they say for a reason. If im wrong, let me know, because I would really like to do something a little quicker.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:12 PM
PTS

Thanks for the response fellas! Mike I like the spring loaded pin and I beleive I will try a BVM Hatch Latch on each side of the canopy as you did with similarity. I will post pics of the results.

Another question is that I a have purchased a GraphTec Tailwheel and I knew before I placed the order that the component would require a flat surface to mount properly. The Yak as we all know is round. In a previous post a gentlemen by the name of Vicster suggested gluing two wood dowels in the bottom of the tail and secure the flat tail spring with a 1/16" gap. Anyone try this? Just curious...

Thanks,

Perry
Old 04-26-2005, 08:14 PM
PTS

3D good point regarding structural integrity. I will check the YAK based on what you described and get back to you...

Perry