Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

run away

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 06:21 PM
nonyabiz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default run away

I just had my first run away with my new 8ight t. I was very luckly not much damage. But it came to a stop with the wheels off the ground and right side up the engine was screaming. By the time i got to it and got it shut down my temp was over 350. Should i be worried that i damage the engine? This is my first new nitro engine all my others have been used when i got them and wouldnt be so worried if it was one of them. I got about half a gallon of fuel threw this one and taken extra care to break the engine in right. Is there hope am i over reacting about this by being worried?
Old 08-07-2009, 07:52 PM
Airbus 9e

Default RE: run away

I think you should be Ok since you got it shut down pretty quick....
Old 08-07-2009, 08:00 PM
nonyabiz

cool thanks yea the more i think about it i think i will be ok it wasnt running like that for very long and i shut it down the engine didnt stop by itself .....i will be ordering a fail safe very soon it could have gotten really bad today if it didnt get hung up like it did and kept going.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:50 PM
Snipin_Willy

I see a run away at every track, and at every race I go to. You'd figure people that have been running nitro 1/8 scale for a few years would learn to invest in a couple of throttle return springs to keep in their boxes. An electronic fail safe will not help you if your battery connection fails or comes lose.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:19 PM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a run away at a large parking lot last year and never found the car. It was an Ofna Hyper 7. not a very good feeling. I have another hyper 7 now and I had it run away on me about a month or 2 ago fortunantly it hit a ford f-250 and broken a front suspension arm causing it to go into a spin and I was able to catch it! LOL!!

You should be fine though!
Old 08-08-2009, 01:49 AM
ElectricGuy007

ORIGINAL: Snipin_Willy

I see a run away at every track, and at every race I go to. You'd figure people that have been running nitro 1/8 scale for a few years would learn to invest in a couple of throttle return springs to keep in their boxes. An electronic fail safe will not help you if your battery connection fails or comes lose.
Good point, it can be really dangerous, if your receiver battery looses power its gonna
lock up the throttle servo and just take off on its own. Ive seen it happen, not at every
race but every once in a while. Not pretty, many people get terrified when it happens
because the RC just became a deadly weapon.[&:]
One time it happened in the parking lot at the track and he found it laying in a ditch a couple miles away.
Really dirty car, but nobody was hurt or anything.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:23 AM
Snipin_Willy

It would be a big liability if it happens in a park where there are kids and people, or a BMX track. There is a reason racing tracks have a fence and it's not just to keep cows out.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:13 PM
nonyabiz

cool so all i need is some return springs? Will do the same thing as a fail safe?
Old 08-09-2009, 12:59 PM
Bluethunder3320

i really want a failsafe and throttle return spring because my mini mgt always just opens up out of range and its gone in someones yard i hate it so much.
Old 08-09-2009, 02:29 PM
nonyabiz

Can some one please explain. I just check i have a fail safe built into my radio to where if radio singal is lost it RC will apply full breaks and straighten the wheels. I remenber setting this up when i first got my RTR. Now my question is that the same thing as a fail safe? And hows dose a fail safe work if the batt in the RC goes died? Is that what a return springs are for so when the batt in the RC die it wont take off wide open? I just dont want this too happen again the last thing i want is someone to get hurt or to cause a ton of damge to my RC.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:58 PM
Bluethunder3320

im always worried i must get one spring so i dont hurt someone. more worried bout that than the damage to my truck its pretty strong anyway.

i mean i drive it down the street full throttle so ill go up to 50 mph.