Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Battery life question...for lipo and brushless systems.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Battery life question...for lipo and brushless systems.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 02:38 PM
NuckaMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery life question...for lipo and brushless systems.

I'm currently picking out my 1st set of gear. I'll be jumping into Brushless/Lipo systems right away. Currently reading up on care and pros/cons.

Question regarding life of the batteries...and run times.

I'll be running stock class (17.5). What kind of run times can i expect from a 5000mah, 2S Lipo system.

Also, what is the service life of a battery? Like, how many cycles can I expect from a decent quality lipo battery pack?

Back in the day, when I was r/c racing (in the 80's), NiCads was it. I was expected to bring 3-4 battery packs, with a car charger/discharger, per race night to keep competitive. Whats expected now a days? Seems so much simpler back in the day.<br type="_moz" />
Old 08-14-2009, 03:55 PM
Druss

Default RE: Battery life question...for lipo and brushless systems.

For racing you'd be doing the same as you did "back in the day" 2-3 packs fully charged along with a charger "just in case". For a 17.5t brushless you're going to get long run times on a 5000mah battery. I'd guess at least 30 minutes. While lipos have a flatter discharge curve than nicads or nimh I personally would still use a new fully charged battery for each heat.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:52 PM
MonkeyFist

ORIGINAL: Druss

For racing you'd be doing the same as you did ''back in the day'' 2-3 packs fully charged along with a charger ''just in case''. For a 17.5t brushless you're going to get long run times on a 5000mah battery. I'd guess at least 30 minutes. While lipos have a flatter discharge curve than nicads or nimh I personally would still use a new fully charged battery for each heat.
With a 17.5 unless you are running heats really close together, just top off the charge between heats. Guys at my track some times run two heats with out even a top off charge. It doesn't seem to slow them down at all. The lap times seem to stay consistent.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:28 PM
Gex_61

LiPo info- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium...olymer_battery

Make sure your battery is legal at the tracks you plan to use it at.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:14 PM
NuckaMan

Thanks for the replies.

So whats the life span of a lipo battery pack...in terms of charge/discharge cycles?<br type="_moz" />
Old 08-14-2009, 11:34 PM
Druss

A few hundred. Depending on the pack they can start to lose their punch after 50-80 charges.