Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

soldering question?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 04:39 PM
electricrc68
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default soldering question?

hey guys im really sorry for this stupid question, but how do i use this soldering stand? like, how do i keep my iron up so that it stays up?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12185.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	1577192  
Old 03-11-2011, 05:00 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: soldering question?

Rest the metal part of the iron onto the metal part of the stand.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:06 PM
electricrc68
Banned

so like this?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90158.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	1577210  
Old 03-11-2011, 05:10 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Yep, that's it.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:13 PM
electricrc68
Banned

okay thanks.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:43 PM
electricrc68
Banned

the smoke is normal and won't do anything right?
Old 03-11-2011, 06:00 PM
Shabbernigdo

ORIGINAL: electricrc68

the smoke is normal and won't do anything right?
smoke while your sodering ? if its normal.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:11 PM
electricrc68
Banned

yeah. is it safe? like if i by accident inhale it?
Old 03-11-2011, 06:19 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

just don't sit there huffing it trying to get high, and you will be fine

btw those stands I throw em in the trash find them to be worthless
Old 03-11-2011, 06:34 PM
electricrc68
Banned

okay thanks. yeah those stands don't work too well lol.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:34 PM
Link119
My Feedback: (1)

http://www.instructables.com/id/Home...actor-Station/

And the fumes are toxic. I wouldnt say deadly if you accidentally breathe it in a few times.<br type="_moz"/>
Old 03-11-2011, 06:35 PM
electricrc68
Banned

yeah. i breathed it in just now. im going to work in my garage from now on.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:47 PM
Link119
My Feedback: (1)

You told me already, no need to answer again. I just wrote my comment so that others know too.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:03 PM
electricrc68
Banned

yeah i know. i just get the feeling to. idk why.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:58 PM
Moontan13

I have an iron that looksjust like yours. 30w,Harbor Freight?It worked but the tip wasn't too good as it didn't clean properly. I got some tips from Sears and it works way better.
An inexpesive stand like this one will keep the iron from wandering off the table.
Attached Images  
Old 03-12-2011, 03:29 AM
Smiff 24

+1 on the stand Moontan13 posted, they work great and the iron wont roll off
from a slight bump or nudge.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:46 AM
electricrc68
Banned

okay thanks guys. i got mine from the LHS. its 60watts and was only $10....its a hobbico.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:50 PM
dredhea
My Feedback: (13)

I never heard of anyone having ill effects from solder fumes, although they are technically considered to be toxic. What I can advise from 20+years as an electronic tech is to wear eye protection (safety glasses) when soldering.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:07 PM
warbird addict

I've been a master boiler/heating/ac tech for 20 plus years and have used literally miles and miles of solder and my lung is fine LOL
Old 03-12-2011, 04:35 PM
Apismelifera

I'm an electronic tech for a defense contractor. I've been soldering electronics, hobby type structural brass, copper pipes and so on for forty years now. I would like to take this opportunity to give you and anybody else who is tuned into this station a few tips.

For that type of soldering iron, especially any type where the tip screws in or on, before you use it too much. When its cold remove the tip and apply a little aluminum oxide thermal heat transfer grease (the white stuff) to the base of the tip where it connects to the soldering iron. This of course gives you better heat transfer from the heater to the tip, and it also makes it easier to remove the tip when you want to change or replace it. First time you plug it in after you use it the grease will smoke a little and you may notice some nasty smell from it. This is normal and only happens the first time after you grease it. Don't breath the smoke. The second reason is it helps prevent the base of the tip from corroding to the point where it will not come out of the heater and you have to get a new iron instead of just a new tip. If you don't have thermal grease you can use copper or nickel anti seize instead.

Once the tip heats up, new or used, put a tiny amount of solder on it and leave it there till just before you want to use it. The surface of the extra solder will oxidize, but so what. Its job is to prevent the tinned surface of the tip from oxidizing. When you're ready to use it you wipe off the dirty solder, usually onto a dampened sponge. Add a tiny amount of fresh solder and go soldering. When you're done for the moment, add a little solder to the tip and park it again. This keeps the working surface of the tip nicely tinned. When you're done soldering, just unplug it, leave the dirty solder on the tip, doesn't matter what it looks like when you're not using it. The extra solder when it cools and solidifies also offers a small measure of mechanical protection to the working surface of the tip.

I always use rosin core solder, because the smoke from rosin is mild compared to acid core solder. If you breath in a little of it don't panic. Try not to lean directly over your work when soldering, and just let the smoke go up and out of the way. Sometimes I will place a small fan nearby so that the smoke is drawn from the immediate work area and away from me. It will disperse very quickly. If the fan is blowing on your work area it can cool off your solder too fast causing it to crystallize resulting in a "cold solder joint". Don't blow on it for the same reason. Try to do your soldering in a ventilated room and you will be fine. If you can smell the rosin you're to close, or you need a fan.

I hope that helps you out.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:55 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: Apismelifera

I'm an electronic tech for a defense contractor. I've been soldering electronics, hobby type structural brass, copper pipes and so on for forty years now. I would like to take this opportunity to give you and anybody else who is tuned into this station a few tips.

For that type of soldering iron, especially any type where the tip screws in or on, before you use it too much. When its cold remove the tip and apply a little aluminum oxide thermal heat transfer grease (the white stuff) to the base of the tip where it connects to the soldering iron. This of course gives you better heat transfer from the heater to the tip, and it also makes it easier to remove the tip when you want to change or replace it. First time you plug it in after you use it the grease will smoke a little and you may notice some nasty smell from it. This is normal and only happens the first time after you grease it. Don't breath the smoke. The second reason is it helps prevent the base of the tip from corroding to the point where it will not come out of the heater and you have to get a new iron instead of just a new tip. If you don't have thermal grease you can use copper or nickel anti seize instead.

Once the tip heats up, new or used, put a tiny amount of solder on it and leave it there till just before you want to use it. The surface of the extra solder will oxidize, but so what. Its job is to prevent the tinned surface of the tip from oxidizing. When you're ready to use it you wipe off the dirty solder, usually onto a dampened sponge. Add a tiny amount of fresh solder and go soldering. When you're done for the moment, add a little solder to the tip and park it again. This keeps the working surface of the tip nicely tinned. When you're done soldering, just unplug it, leave the dirty solder on the tip, doesn't matter what it looks like when you're not using it. The extra solder when it cools and solidifies also offers a small measure of mechanical protection to the working surface of the tip.

I always use rosin core solder, because the smoke from rosin is mild compared to acid core solder. If you breath in a little of it don't panic. Try not to lean directly over your work when soldering, and just let the smoke go up and out of the way. Sometimes I will place a small fan nearby so that the smoke is drawn from the immediate work area and away from me. It will disperse very quickly. If the fan is blowing on your work area it can cool off your solder too fast causing it to crystallize resulting in a ''cold solder joint''. Don't blow on it for the same reason. Try to do your soldering in a ventilated room and you will be fine. If you can smell the rosin you're to close, or you need a fan.

I hope that helps you out.
good idea on the heat transfer grease
had to throw away a perfectly good 16 year old soldering iron cause the screw threads were corroded, and it broke apart when I turned it (it was on its 4th tip)
Old 03-14-2011, 05:55 AM
Nitro Fumes

You sound like you are going to do soldering for your very first time. Definitely use Apismelifera's advice. I used to work in that industry too. One minor thing left out. Heat up the wires you are soldering and let the hot wires melt the solder so it will flow into the wire better. You don't want to melt the solder on the tip to get it to flow on to the wire. Just Google "How to solder" and you will find a bunch of links to instructional Youtube videos.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:11 PM
electricrc68
Banned

thanks for the tips. i usually solder in my garage with the garage door open, or in my backyard since i have a table back there that i can solder on. im still practicing, so i haven't gotten to good at it, but im making progress. i usually by accident end up with a big blob of solder holding the wire and scrap metal together.....which im pretty sure would not fit in a connector.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:30 PM
rc awesome

I have the same iron. The stand is worthless toss it in the trash.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:32 PM
rc awesome

Moontan is right the tip sucks also. You will need another one.