Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

NEW SAVAGE USER prob with back plate

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 04:23 AM
BIGBEAR1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW SAVAGE USER prob with back plate

Hi I have just bought a savage 25, it has had about 5 litres run trough it and all has been well until recently. I started to notice that the roto start was slipping ( not turning the engine over ) so i checked on this forum and found alot of valuable help. I checked and cleaned the owb losend the glow plug and all was well. I then stopped using the truck until later that evening, when I went to start it the engine would not turn over ( just spun but didn't pop the engine if that makes sence ). I cleaned the owb again and it started fine. The following day i went to use it again and the same thing happend, again cleaned the owb iand it was fine. every time i want to use the savage i have to go through this process its a nightmare. I love the truck when its going I just hope someone can help me.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:26 AM
BLDonovan33

Default RE: NEW SAVAGE USER prob with back plate

Make sure your exhause is on tight, and check your seal so that excess fuel is not leaking into the rotostart housing. I know that after taking the engine out of mine a few times, I've stretched the spring (probably a newbie thing!!) and it wasn't fitting as tight as it should be, causing a bit of a leak. Good luck!!
Old 03-08-2006, 11:01 AM
jpolidore

What fuel are ya'll using? I have had some problems with certain fuels having a higher oil content and making my OWB slip. Try changing fuels to see if that helps.. I use Odonell's 20% and have had no OWB problems in recent memory, The problem I had was with Blue Thunder 20% and Traxxas top fuel 20%. I ran out one day with my bud and had to borrow some of the latter, the former I use to clean my Air Filter.. Now the Odonell's is the only fuel I use.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:10 PM
Polar_Bus

ORIGINAL: BIGBEAR1

Hi I have just bought a savage 25, it has had about 5 litres run trough it and all has been well until recently. I started to notice that the roto start was slipping ( not turning the engine over ) so i checked on this forum and found alot of valuable help. I checked and cleaned the owb losend the glow plug and all was well. I then stopped using the truck until later that evening, when I went to start it the engine would not turn over ( just spun but didn't pop the engine if that makes sence ). I cleaned the owb again and it started fine. The following day i went to use it again and the same thing happend, again cleaned the owb iand it was fine. every time i want to use the savage i have to go through this process its a nightmare. I love the truck when its going I just hope someone can help me.

Your OWB keeps getting saturated with excessive crankcase oil. This is either from an excessively rich mixture. If you bash your truck at slower speeds this will aggravate the OWB slipping, as the engine never really sees consistant higher rpm's to "clean itself out". Lastly, how much after run oil are you using? You dont need a lot, I put in about 2 drops in the carb, and 2 drops down the glow plug hole. If you are using too much, this could be soaking your OWB also.
Old 03-09-2006, 02:22 PM
BIGBEAR1

Thanks for all your advise i will try the sping on the exhaust first, if that dosn't work i will change fuel, alltough the one i'm using is tornado fuel 25 its one of the recomended ones.
Old 03-09-2006, 08:41 PM
DaveG55

It is possable for a owb to wear out or crack and slip more often. Since yours is relitively new that's probably not your issue. Next time you have it out check it carefully for cracks in the housing, just to be sure.
I too use O'Donnells 20% and have not had a owb slip since.
As a last resort, some people have drilled a small hole in the rotostart backplate and used it to insert the little red tube on a can of wd 40 and spray the owb to clear the accumulated oil residue.