Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

First Spur gear (and more) destroyed...

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 11:36 PM
BLDonovan33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Spur gear (and more) destroyed...

So I was out front of my house bashing the other day, and my savage 25 took off down the street away from me. Hit a tree head on full speed. Knocked the motor out of alignment, tore up a spur gear, and busted the lower driver side A-arm. Time For a failsafe!! Just one question though, when you lose signal to the reciever and the failsafe takes the servo to the predetermined position, will it return to normal operation when signal is restored? Or... Do you have to cut power to it, to sort of "reset" it? Thanks guys!!
Old 03-09-2006, 01:10 AM
joes75
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: First Spur gear (and more) destroyed...

Once the signal is ok, the throttle servo will go back to neutral.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:46 AM
Ironlegend

just keep the return spring on the throttle valve you wont need a fail safe i have had my truck a while now never had a need for one

jayson
Old 03-09-2006, 02:59 AM
baldtrucker

just keep the return spring on the throttle valve you wont need a fail safe i have had my truck a while now never had a need for one

If you get signal interferance your servo will act on it's own. It's not like when a battery goes dead and your servos don't work
Old 03-09-2006, 03:03 AM
Stablock

ORIGINAL: Ironlegend

jayson

Sorry Jayson but I disagree. Try it yourself. (With the engine NOT running, of course) turn the receiver and transmitter on, then open the throttle wide open, then turn the receiver off. You'll see the throttle return spring is not strong enough to return the servo to neutral.

I was talking to Customer Service at HPI about a different matter and asked them what the return spring actually does. They said it's only there for one reason and that is to help close the carb "in a timely fashion" when your receiver batteries weaken and the servo response is verrrry slow. Now, that makes sense. I thought it was only to protect you in the unlikely event that your throttle linkage comes apart. They said yes it will, however that is an unlikely event and not the primary reason for the spring and still recommended running a failsafe.

And to answer the original question is yes, it will return to normal operation when signal is restored
Old 03-10-2006, 12:44 AM
INTEGRA

i think anyone who runns with out a failsafe is INSANE in the MEMBRANE.....seriously 30$ for a small chip that will prevent your nice n shiny truck from being a smashed paper weight......i think its just common sense...
TrU