Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Kangke's Hardware

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Kangke's Hardware

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 10:27 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Kangke's Hardware

Just looking at some of the hardware of Kangke's new kits and thought you might like to see the quality.

Jerry
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63084.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	217803  
Old 01-20-2005, 10:44 AM
jsenicka
My Feedback: (79)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Kangke's Hardware

Agree 100%
I finsihed my Extra 300-60 over Christmas and was very impressed.
My only problem was building the forked rear pushrod.
Could have been provided or done differently
Old 01-20-2005, 02:10 PM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

Watch those metal clevises... they like to come loose and/or break. They are really brittle. I have more than few break on me and ended up replacing them with Sullivans.

On the monocoupe you are probably ok though, that plane has no wing load! My problems occured on the Hurricane.

DP
Old 01-20-2005, 02:17 PM
MarvinE255
My Feedback: (10)

I have built the Monocoupe, Rearwin and the Waco. All great arfs. The clevises are the only weak part in the hardware packs.
Old 01-20-2005, 02:42 PM
compute42
My Feedback: (15)

watch the plastic screw-on part on the end of the control horn. Guy at my club had a Kange Cap, and gave a tug on the ailerons, and the plastic part broke. Clevis snaped clean through the plastic...
Old 01-20-2005, 07:15 PM
bentgear

I think the metal clevises are made of tin or similar metal. Melts real easy if you need to solder it on.

Ed M.
Old 01-21-2005, 05:40 AM
jbflier

I love Kangke planes, but the plastic horns break easily.............
Old 01-21-2005, 09:13 PM
Panzlflyer
My Feedback: (15)

Second that!! My Laser went in when the elevator ones snapped off.
Rebuilt it and replaced the ends with Dubro ones.
Old 01-22-2005, 10:52 AM
SitNFly
My Feedback: (54)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, let's see, the clevises suck, the plastic part of the control horn sucks, but other than that the hardware is great[sm=confused.gif][sm=confused.gif]
Old 01-22-2005, 12:24 PM
MarvinE255
My Feedback: (10)

SitNFly got it right.
Old 01-23-2005, 09:50 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

I'm doing an older Kangke right now; the discontinued CAP 232 Sport. Its my second one; this one was bought by a pal the same time I got mine a few years back, and he never got around to assembling it.

The ONLY part of the supplied hardware I'm using is the control horns on the flying surfaces.

I've done many ARFs, and while some of the included "Pacific rim" hardware has been decent, the only Asian-produced ARFs that had usable hardware (that I would use, at least) were the ones that included DuBro or similar stuff. The ExtremeFlight Yak-54 has come the closest; the only thing I replaced of its hardware complement was the tail wheel assembly.
Old 01-23-2005, 10:03 AM
bentgear

SitNFly, they can change the hardware and maybe they have. I would think if anybody would do it, Kangke would. But, if you get one of the older kits wouldn't you want to know what to watch out for?

BTW, the matal clevises melting when soldered is the only major problem I have had with them.

Steve, if you were wanting a fun airplane that still flys a straight line, I think you may have found it.

Ed M.
Old 01-23-2005, 11:40 AM
LSP972

I know, Ed. I flew the first one for several years, then like a big dummy sold it. When my buddy offered me this one, I jumped on it big-time.

My first one ended up in the stable of one of the local serious pattern flyers. He uses it for a practice plane.

Too bad they dropped it; it was real sleeper.
Old 01-23-2005, 11:54 AM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Be sure you Lock-Tite the bolts on those 1-bolt, post type control horns. I had one unscrew in flight. Fortunately, I was able to get the plane down.
Old 01-23-2005, 12:18 PM
SitNFly
My Feedback: (54)

ORIGINAL: bentgear

SitNFly, they can change the hardware and maybe they have. I would think if anybody would do it, Kangke would. But, if you get one of the older kits wouldn't you want to know what to watch out for?

Ed M.

Absolutely. I'm just observing that this thread started with a nice picture of the Kangke hardware saying that the quality was evident. Then other posters come in saying that the hardware is basically junk. Looks can be deceiving. Might as well replace the fuel tank, too, because if it's typical ARF no-name stuff, it's going to split at the seams. No guarantees the new stuff is any better.
Old 01-23-2005, 06:15 PM
LSP972

Ed, these are old-school nylon horns, with mounting plates, a retainer on the opposite side of the surface, both secured by two screws.
Old 03-06-2005, 11:20 PM
MMari

I just finished a Kangke CAP 232/60 bought straight from Kangke at this year's WRAM show, and had to replace most of the hardware. It seems this was an older kit. All clevises and control horns had to be replaced. Either the material was weak or the items were not quality grade. All clevises had to go, as well as the control horns. Wing holddown bolts and blind nuts had to be thrown out. I wound up drilling the holes and plugging them with wood dowel, then tapping the new holes and replacing the screws with stronger bolts. It have serious doubts that the bolts supplied would have held the wing in place doing anything wilder thant straight and level flight.

The decals supplied were substandard and not opaque enough. Both wheels were unusable as they were totally out of true and wobbled badly when rotated. Covering was very good, however and the paint job on the fiberglass cowl was magnificent. However, the molded ABS Plastic wheel pants totally detract from the looks of an otherwise beautiful airplane. The supplied adjustable engine mount was quite adequate and made engine installation very easy. The written instructions were hapharzardly written, actually just a very fuzzy photocopy of the originals and photos were almost worthless. Building this ARF will tax your ingenuity, however, with the proper tools and good hardware, it will go together fairly quickly. The end result, save the hideous plastic wheel pants, is worth the effort. I wonder if there are any aftermarket fiberglass wheel pants available out there.

Old 03-07-2005, 01:27 AM
rob6894
My Feedback: (3)

Since the control rods are metric is their any where to by ball links in metric as well as clevises and plastic control horn. I have the cap 1.20

Best,
Robert
Old 03-07-2005, 06:03 PM
frieshoo
My Feedback: (20)

I have built two 60 sized Kangke Staudachers, the Sport Cap, the 60 size Cap, and the SK50 (A very underrated model, IMO)... I have two more Caps (120 and 60) NIB, and I'm in the process of recovering the Sport Cap...

On the Staudachers, Sport Cap, and 60 sized cap... I mounted two mini servos in the tail for the elevators (Hitec 225's or the new GWS minis).. put pull-pull on the rudder... Hitec 605 mostly.... Saito 100 on the Staudachers, and 60 Cap.. balances with no extra weight... the battery is behind the fuel tank... I used a thunder tiger 91 four stroke on the Sport Cap... it balances with no addition weight, and is a 3D type of flyer now... Just don't cram the control surfaces together when hinging.. leave some gap, so you can get the throw.....

Hardware is so-so.... I used the control-horns, tail wheel, fuel tank, and CA hinges... but I tossed the control rods, clevises, and the main wheels.