Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New Review posted for the Excite 90 by Modeltech

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New Review posted for the Excite 90 by Modeltech

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2003, 08:09 PM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Review posted for the Excite 90 by Modeltech

Check out the new review for the ModelTech Excite 90... I really liked the plane... capable and light...

Very similar plane to the UCD3D and Razzle. I liked it's flight capabilites even better than my UCD3D.

Excite 90 Review

I'm interested in how I might make my reviews more useful, so please feel free to offer suggestions... gulp, criticisms, etc...

Old 07-09-2003, 10:47 PM
heli001
My Feedback: (5)

Default Review

David,

No criticism here....your review looked great......!

I was wondering if you might be able to do something for the "Layman" on designing graphics layouts for covering.....

You, are in my opinion, the resident guru and expert in that field.....
Old 07-09-2003, 11:03 PM
Maudib

I'm usually so busy, but you never know...

You might want to check out the submissions to the Wild Hare RC contest... There were LOTS of great ideas and even tho they were for an Extra they could easily be mixed, matched and modified for various planes...

Try:

http://www.wildharerc.com/Design/design.html

and

http://www.wildharerc.com/Design/design2.html
Old 07-09-2003, 11:07 PM
heli001

Default Submissions

David,

I saw all of those...that is why I think you are the MASTER.........
Old 07-09-2003, 11:27 PM
Maudib

No promises, but what plane did you have in mind?
Old 07-10-2003, 07:38 PM
heli001

Default Layouts

David,

I didn't have any particular plane in mind. Just some general information as to what makes a good layout, color selection, and how it would apply to the body lines of the aircraft. This would be great information for the modeler that wants to step away from the factory and commercial designs. What would make a plane an "Eyecatcher", and be something different than all the others at the field.

This is one of my favorite designs, that you did:
Attached Images  
Old 07-13-2003, 01:54 AM
majortom-RCU
My Feedback: (40)

Default nylon wing & lg bolts

Hey, Mordib, let me compliment your review. Lots of good photos and information to help us out in putting ours together. I am a big fan of the XLS91A, using it to power a Kangke CAP 232 Sport ARF. The engine is all you say it is. I prop mine with a 13x8, which pulls well and I think lets me land a bit easier.

I would quibble with a couple points of your assembly choices, notably the wing bolts and landing gear bolts. I am kinda hard on my planes, and have my share and more of hard landings. Just a few days ago I had a deadstick in which I came down on the grass runway but headed downwind. I had no chance to flare, and was happy enough to just come down at a shallow angle. There was enough impact to break off my nylon landing gear mounting bolts, both of them snapped their heads off nice and clean. If I had used the stock ARF method, the steel bolts would have ripped the landing gear mounting plate out of the fuse, and I would have had a serious repair job on my hands. As it was, there was no other damage, and all I had to do was put the landing gear back on with another couple nylon bolts. This was not the first time I have broken my gear off on that plane. It is wonderful to see how much impact those nylon bolt heads can absorb before they break, all of which would otherwise be inflicted on ply and balsa.

The same plane tip-stalled on me a few weeks back, and came down rather hard in the low brush off the runway. The wing was damaged somewhat in the center section, enough so to need some stripping off of covering, straightening out some sticks and sheeting and re-gluing. While I was doing this, I took the opportunity to knock out the blindnuts for the wing mount bolts and drill out the wood to receive a couple 1/4x20 brass threaded inserts (from the cabinet hardware section at Home Depot). I replaced the steel bolts that came with the plane, which I should have done when I first put the thing together. Next time I have a similar mishap, I expect the wing bolts to pop their heads and save my wing from structural damage (as they've done for me on other planes).

They say you can't build to crash, you have to build to fly. Generally I agree, but I do insist that break-away nylon mounting bolts for wing and landing gear fly just as well as steel bolts with blindnuts, and crash a heck of a lot better.

FWIW, I use a Jett in-cowl muffler on my Magnum. Lighter than the stock muffler, quieter, more power. Guys at the field comment on my vertical acceleration. I like giant loops, Ferris wheel size and bigger. I like to see the plane purr up one side with no strain or hesitation, then coast down the other side.
Old 07-13-2003, 12:06 PM
Maudib

Hello majortom... (hmmm.. where have I heard that before )

I agree completely... in many instances especially light aircraft, the use of nylon bolts for wing hold down and gear attachment are a great idea.

However, on a review where the plane is supplied by the manufacturer, it's best to leave the plane as stock as possible so as not to "skew" the results. In this instance... the diameter of the bolts holding the wing and gear were small enough that replacing them with nylon bolts of comparable strength would entail removing exisitng blind nuts, re-drilling and installation of new blind nuts, etc.

While not an overly involved process, there may very well be a lot of people who don't feel comfortable in making those type of changes. They would like to know that the design and supplied hardware is sufficient... which, in the case of the Excite, is a true statement. (The H9 Funtana and U-Can-Do-3D for instance, from what I've read has a very weak gear block and SHOULD be strengthened... these types of thing MUST be included in a review)

Your suggestion though is a VERY useful tip I'm sure lots will find helpful and on future reviews where switching to nylon is feasible, I'll try and post that as a tip.

Glad you like the review!

Fly 'em like there's no tomorrow!
Old 08-08-2003, 08:27 PM
AJT

Mordib
Great review! The video tells all. You can say all good things about kits. But watching it fly, answered all my questions. I would buy that airplane after watching the video!
AJT
Old 08-08-2003, 09:14 PM
Maudib

Thanks man... it really is a good flyer...

Originally posted by AJT
Mordib
Great review! The video tells all. You can say all good things about kits. But watching it fly, answered all my questions. I would buy that airplane after watching the video!
AJT
Old 08-10-2003, 07:00 PM
TripleDeucer
My Feedback: (129)

Mordib, What brand of covering was used? With the crisp transparency, it looks like Ultracote.
Also, do you think an OS .91 FS would be enough power to fly it with authority? Could go to a 120 FS if there is room for it. At our flying field, I like to stay away from the iritating sound of the two strokers.

Thanks, TME
Old 08-10-2003, 09:26 PM
Maudib

The O.S. 91 FS would rocket it... no problem... it's only 6.5 all up...

Don't know what the covering brand is.. I doubt it's Ultra Or Monocote... But it looked good and wasn't "cheap" feelin'

Originally posted by TME
Mordib, What brand of covering was used? With the crisp transparency, it looks like Ultracote.
Also, do you think an OS .91 FS would be enough power to fly it with authority? Could go to a 120 FS if there is room for it. At our flying field, I like to stay away from the iritating sound of the two strokers.

Thanks, TME
Old 11-27-2003, 11:31 AM
rcflier_gi
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New Review posted for the <span class=

Has anyone tried a 1.20FS in the Modeltech Excite ?