Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Making a fiberglass mold

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Making a fiberglass mold

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2002, 11:40 PM
FHHuber
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making a fiberglass mold

You need a spray application mold release wax, sold at the same place you'd go for the West System resins. The release wax has to resist the chemicals in the resin, and it needs to build up a thicker layer than you will get with a common paste wax.

You can do layups using epoxies. Generally, the epoxies need to be done in one application, or sanded between layers to prevent the layers from separating. I'd advise against trying 5 min epoxy, as it would give the most brittle result, and doesn't leave enough time to work at getting a good thin application.
Old 07-04-2002, 03:57 AM
Mark Turner
My Feedback: (29)

As for links try http://www.cstsales.com and http://www.fiberglast.com

Some good info can be used from the sites listed. As for brand names I use Partall but have been useing that for years but there are other mold relese agents out there.

Some wax out of a can like you have tried contains silicone...which if your going to do any painting can be a nightmare. Your much better off getting a wax thats made for mold/plug work.

As far as epoxy I only use West systems. IMHO its worth the money and the best for layups.

Just my .02
Old 07-09-2002, 06:31 AM
rcalfred

I agree with Mark. The two sources he listed are good ones. While he prefers epoxy, I am partial to polyesther resin. Because it can be made to cure faster by increasing the amount of catalyst in the mix. Be aware that there are two kinds of polyester---one with wax (finishing resin) and without wax (laminating resin). Fiberglass Developments sells both. Regards.
Old 07-11-2002, 05:44 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

For a mold release, does your wife have a can of PAM in the cupboard? We used to mold polyurethane, and PAM worked great. Not sure how it would react with fiberglass, so make SEVERAL tests first.

Just my .02.

Santa might put a Damian Page GeeBee Model Z under the tree later this year. The pants, etc., are made of plastic. I'd prefer glass.

Does anyone know:
1. of someone who makes Fiberglass replacements for the Model Z items...
2. If I used the pieces for my own mold, what weight cloth should I use for a lay-up?

Thanks,

Bob