Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

'G-Mark' engines

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2003, 05:21 PM
GoldenAge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 'G-Mark' engines

Hello all,

Out at the flying field the other day a guy was flying a small three channel trainer with a very nice running little engine. I asked him what it was and he told me that it was a G-Mark .061 (I think that was the displacement size)

I've never heard of these engines, but I may have missed out because I've been out of R/C since 1980. It looked like a well made engine, does anyone out there know anything about these?

Many thanks in advance,

Scott
Old 10-22-2003, 05:33 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 'G-Mark' engines

Well made Japanese engine made in a few different sizes (including a .12 and .30 twin) during the 1980's - no longer manufactured.

They had awsome little carbs on the RC versions.

AJC
Old 10-22-2003, 05:34 PM
cap10b

Hey Scott,
Yep know all about the G-Mark engines. I have a new .061 in the box.
Long story here is the readers digest version

1. Mr G-Mark makes little engines in Japan. .03 - 30 size including R/C twin and 5 Cycl radial.
2. Cannon RC specializes in small stuff imports these engines in the late 80's
3. Everybody is happy for a few years.
4. Mr G-Mark dies.
5. Nobody takes over the buisness when he dies it dies and the G-Marks go out of buisness.

Now we are left with what ever we can scrounge up. I have one NIB saw some other recently new and slightly used. May become collector items but as an everyday engine
once the supply is gone......thats it.

Best of luck

JDS
Old 10-22-2003, 05:43 PM
ajcoholic

The fellow behind the engines was the pres of some large Japanese watch maker (Seiko? I forget) and he was a modeller and into engines. When he died the company didnt want to continue with the engine business and shut it down.

There was the story in one of the model mags (MAN I think) quite a few years back, maybe late 1980's...

AJC
Old 10-22-2003, 07:09 PM
GoldenAge

AJ,

They had awsome little carbs on the RC versions.
That's one thing that I noticed right away was the nice carb. on this little engine.

The fellow behind the engines was the pres of some large Japanese watch maker (Seiko? I forget) and he was a modeller and into engines. When he died the company didnt want to continue with the engine business and shut it down.
That's interesting, I'm wearing a 1984 Seiko divers watch that still keeps almost perfect time. Shame these engines are no longer made, especially if they run as good as this watch I'm wearing[8D]

JD,

1. Mr G-Mark makes little engines in Japan. .03 - 30 size including R/C twin and 5 Cycl radial.
2. Cannon RC specializes in small stuff imports these engines in the late 80's
3. Everybody is happy for a few years.
4. Mr G-Mark dies.
5. Nobody takes over the buisness when he dies it dies and the G-Marks go out of buisness.
Kind of a sad story there. I wonder what that little radial sounded like?

Thanks again for the replies!

Kind regards,

Scott
Old 10-22-2003, 07:16 PM
maxtenet

Made in the mid 70's they were very well designed jewels. I have the .03, .061,.12 twin, .15 and the .30 twin. The .30 radials go for around $500.00 these days(can't afford one). They run well and the .30 twin is the sweetest .30 size engine ever made. Unbelievably smooth and quiet, rivalled only by the .30 O.S. wankel and frankly is smoother and quieter.

Max
Old 10-22-2003, 08:43 PM
ajcoholic

I bought one of the .12 twins last year and my buddy got a .30 twin. I ran it a bit, was OK but not great power. I also have an 061 I hope to use someday in one of my 1/2A planes.
Old 10-24-2003, 06:39 AM
jaka

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi!
I have some of the small .03 G-marks and they perfom verygood, bad though that glowplugs are hard to get (I have some spare ones but when they are gone......) .
I saw one 5 cylinder G-mark .30 radial (new) for sale at a hobby shop here in Stockholm, Sweden (Söders R/C hobby). Price is 3500:- kr (thats around $400.00).

Regards!
Jan K