Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

OS 46 FX liner peeling problem fixed??

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

OS 46 FX liner peeling problem fixed??

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2003, 10:10 PM
flipstart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS 46 FX liner peeling problem fixed??

I am in the market for a 46 size engine but am at a loss as to what to buy. Without starting a war here-just wondered if the OS 46 FX problem with liner peeling is fixed? I am partial to OS, have a 40 fsr and it is great, the TT and Magnums seem to have their share of problems-carb screws coming loose, hard to tune and etc. I do not mind breaking in an engine properly and tuning as long as it stays tuned and you do not have to fiddle with it all the time. I hate dead sticks and poor idle.

The guys at the field say if an OS 46 FX is run the least bit lean (emphasis on least) the liner will peel at the top. Just wondered what the general consensus was on current production 46 engines. Flipstart
Old 10-22-2003, 10:43 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: OS 46 FX liner peeling problem fixed??

Mine runs great but I've only had it for a few months (4 gallons of Omega 15% nitro).
I thought I saw Bax saying that anything after 1997 didn't have liner peeling problems.
Mine is so reliable that I take it for granted. Starts everytime, no dead sticks.

The low end is at least a 1/4th turn too rich out of the box. Break it it lean and high RPM as soon as you first start it. Run for a minute. Let it cool. Do it again. Keep thermal cycling it like that and it breaks in real nice. DON'T 4-cycle it like the manual says. There's a procedure for breaking it in and Bax has the link. Do a search to find it.

I personally would fly a tad rich for the first 5 tanks. Then lean it out after 10 tanks (but still a hair on the rich side).

Plenty of good engines out there. Take your pick.

Joe
Old 10-22-2003, 11:26 PM
Spicoli

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 2 that I have been abusing for 5 years .Many lean runs and crashes.No peeling liners yet.
Old 10-23-2003, 02:54 AM
ZM2000
My Feedback: (1)

The OS 46 FX liner peeling problem is burried and is history. The 46 size engines from OS, Magnum, ASP are all equally good in performance.
Old 10-23-2003, 04:24 AM
Homebrewer
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TT and Magnum hard to tune and have loose parts? Huh? Not in mine and countless other's experience thought it is always wise to retorque all screws after the first several flights and to check screw torques before first flight-common sense.

Personally, I don't think OS engines are worth the money anymore because there are many other brands of engines that are equal in performance and cost much less:

Examples:

Irvine engines: true chrome
TT .46: cheaper than OS, never had liner problem
MDS .58/.68 if you need something larger, true chrome and absolutely reliable: Warning not idiot proof like OS line.
Magnum XLS is a good engine line.
Leo .46 (mecoa .46/megatech.46) slightly lower on power but 100% bulletproof engine. can be bought for 69 or less with tradein on several sites.

Old 10-23-2003, 10:32 AM
DualdudE

I would go for an Irvine I'm very pleased with my .53, and so are my friends with their .40 .46 and .53 They can swing large props, lots of torque and they are quite economical with fuel. The transition (thats what you call it right?) is also good Noise production is also quite low. And most of all, they are lots cheaper than an OS.