Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

I think I went too heavy with shock oil wt

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

I think I went too heavy with shock oil wt

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 06:26 PM
JohnP2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I think I went too heavy with shock oil wt

Hey all,

I just changed my shock oil on our Hyper 7, and went 45f/40r. I could not find the stock set up anywhere....but do plan on jumping it a lot from high distances. However, the rebound does not seem to be there. I set it at full rebound. It gets there without being mountedbut not when it is mounted. My droop is affected,

Without having to change the oil <u>or</u> springs, can I change the lower position in toward the chassis to soften the dampening as well as raise the ride-height (via spacing)? Will this help my rebound, or do I just need to look at lowering the shock fluid weight?
Thanks!
Old 04-24-2012, 11:27 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: I think I went too heavy with shock oil wt

You cannot change the damping without changing the oils again I'm afraid (even if you change the shock pistons, you are still gonna have to repour the oil). You did go too heavy, 45 is a touring car oil unless you change the shock pistons for ones with more holes (I'm assuming the stockers are two hole pistons?).

If you move the shocks further inboard, you are changing the shock angle, more upright shocks are for bumpy surfaces and you will lose a little response from the suspension mid corner, or rather the car will 'wallow' more in the corners, this may be desirable if not racing as it will make the car let go a bit more progressively, but the important thing here is that it won't affect bound and rebound.

Adding shock spacers will simply change the ride height of the car, no relationship with anything else. Droop is changed only by the droop stop (small grub screw in the lower arms).

The rule of thumb on ride height is that the arms should be horizontal from tire to tire when the car is at rest, or if bashing on rough surfaces, a little bit higher, but not much (car will roll easily if you extend the shocks much more than that.

Wind the droop screw out a fair bit if you are on very rough surfaces, droop is a very important setting and one often overlooked by the unfamiliar. Many people set their arms horizontal and then wind in the droop screw to meet the chassis while the car is sitting in that position, I did this the first time I got a 1/8th buggy. That is effectively 0 droop and is bad, will cause the car to skip all over the place.

First thing to try is to find out if it is the damping, or if its a droop problem. If the car handles better with the droop screws completely out (or at least not touching the chassis), then maybe you'll get away with the heavy damping, but there is a well known shock setup that works well with that car...OFNA white springs, 300 euro weight or 35 US weight oil all around...it was the setup most people were using for racing when the car was regularly competing back in the day.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:13 PM
nitroexpress

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

30wt all around seems very low. Of course if it was for a European track, with hardly any jumps, it might be OK. What specific model Hyper7 are you running? The size of your shocks (12/14/16mm ???) would factor in.If you have the 12mm/2 hole shocks andpistons, my prayers are with you. Just kidding, but small shocks generally don't like big jumps. Heavier oil has to be matched to the springs. Minor changes are OK, large changes could need stiffer springs.

The following is old, but you can see the guy used 60wt/40wt oil. He did drill the pistons holes to 1.4mm.

http://www.ofna.com/pdf/setup-hyper-ryannimori.pdf

Try browsing the OFNA site. Information is old, but may be useful.

http://www.ofna.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5
Old 04-27-2012, 04:33 PM
JohnP2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

14mm/2 hole piston/gray springs. I appreciate both of your responses. I am taking it bashing tomorrow and we'll see how it performs.

Thanks!