Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Midwest Extra 27% Flat Tail

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Midwest Extra 27% Flat Tail

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2002, 12:04 AM
flquintal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Midwest Extra 27% Flat Tail

Hi there...
One friend offered to me a Midwest Extra 27% Flat Tail with a 3W 48 B2 for the price of the engine... He hasn't flown this plane yet...

What do you think?
Will it be too heavy?
Will it fly well?

Best REGARDS.
Old 10-19-2002, 05:27 AM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

The engine is what's going to make that plane heavy. You might take steps to get the airframe lightened up, but I don't think you can compare that engine weight-wise to some of the single-cylinder counterparts.

The flat tail is no biggie. My Extra is of the flat tail group, and I researched on changing it out. You can get the plans and scratch one out yourself, or.....I don't know if it was rumor or true,..but somewhere I heard DickHansen had tail-kits for these. I left mine flat though, as it was just extra money I didn't want to spend, and from what I gathered didn't really enhance performance to a great degree. Whatever you do though...DO NOT fly that bird without flying wire bracing on that tail, and without sealing the ailerons!!!. That is critical on the slabstab planes.

It's a tough call though...I'm not sure I would go for the 3W48 for an unlimited aerobatic bird, although it is a powerhouse of a motor, it's got to have at least a pound or more on a single cyl.
That's where you should compare, as that is something you can't change. The airframe on the other hand you can. I hope this helps,,, Good luck.

PS,,,in reading your post again....is this plane already built?? Get a weight on it if it is. If it's built and yet with no engine installed you could always install a different engine and keep 3W for another plane. I don't know though, I'm not totally experienced as in hands on with 3W48, but have researched many engines in this size range, including the 3W, and the research was done with the intention of a MidwestExtra, which at this point is completed, and flying stong. I have a good flyingfriend that has the Aeroworks 29%Edge with the 3W, and his plane outweighs mine by 2.5lbs. Get some weights of what is there if you can though and compare. In any case it will fly, and fly well I'm sure, the plane is an inherent excellent flyer. If your looking toward 3D though, that combo would not be in your best interest. For an all out IMAC flyer, that really should be acceptable though. Especially if it's 16lbs or less.
Old 10-19-2002, 09:46 AM
flquintal

Default Extra Midwest

All right... Thank you very much.

I'm not looking for a 3D-CAPABLE PLANE, because I already own a 33%... I'm just looking for a fun-plane, to do IMAC sequences, and to fill the hole that the fire left on my hangar (it just burned and I lost lots of planes and money -- oh well...).

I'll be weighting this plane today, but before I need to know what would be the "interesting" Extra's weight...

Oh, about the weight of the engine:

3W 50i - Weight: 4.36 lbs
3W 48iB2 - Weight: 4.11/4.54 lbs

I know there are lighter engines and etc, but I tried some of them and I'll still think 3W outperforms them (and the support is only 15 minutes from my house if I have problems... )

Best Regards

Fábio Quintal
BRA- 9590
Old 10-19-2002, 10:34 AM
Kasper

DO NOT fly that bird without flying wire bracing on that tail, and without sealing the ailerons!!!. That is critical on the slabstab planes.
My extra has is 4 years old. and have never been wired up.

But when you say.. sealing the ailerons? what do you mean?

Homepage: www.modelfly.dk
Old 10-19-2002, 03:15 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Fabio, I've read about these Extras flying wonderfully at 17 and 18lbs. If your going to want a bird that would give you good performance for all around IMAC practice, and get that "big bird" feel, that would be the plane. The 3W is a good engine as I said, and it could add a bit of excitement and uniqueness as well. I'm sure it would fly fine though. Don't forgo that tail-bracing(flying wires) though. The result of not having them is not worth the risk, not to mention possible lost performance from flex.

Kasper...how much flex do you have on your stab? I know I had a ton, and when I added the wires(before I flew it) it was like magic, all the sudden I had this incredibly strong tail. Not to mention the fact that if you just happened to push the flight envelope and had flutter...well...you wouldn't want that. I'm glad it's working for you though...I just would never do it with a flat stab on a plane this size. The newer versions with a built-up foiled tail get away with it because of the structure of the stab. It's same as a wing, and therefore comes out just as strong. But with the flatstabs there's no triangulation to create the rigidity that's found with a foiled stab.
Sealing the aileron gaps, and other hinge lines. I do this to keep the air flowing over the control surface, so it won't pass through the hinge line. It doesn't take alot to create flutter either, and sealing hinge lines is definate precaution, and it does help performance, some say as much as 30%.