Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Silly question concerning foam wing cores

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Silly question concerning foam wing cores

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2002, 01:13 PM
coyote
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silly question concerning foam wing cores

Can anyone give me suggestions on how to cut a 20" servo lead channel through a foam win core? (giant Stinger)
Old 10-20-2002, 01:29 PM
winship

coyote;

There are a few ways to go about it. It really depends on if the wing is sheeted and if you want to make the servo lead permanent. I helped a friend yesterday sheet his edge 540 wings and we installed the wire permanently by cutting a slit 1/4 inch deep with an x-acto and then running sandpaper through the slit to widen it enough to press the servo wire into. Once the wire was in place the wing skins were vacuum bagged down to the cores. The other method if the wings are already sheeted is to heat up the end of a 1/8 inch music wire and melt a hole through the wing. The hole is usually large enough to pull the wire through. If you are not going a long distance you might try sharpening a brass tube and drill the hole through.

Winship
Old 10-20-2002, 03:30 PM
Jemo
My Feedback: (5)

You can use a tube to cut a hole to the servo bay.
you can also use a piece of copper wire shaped to fit and use a soldering gun to cut the channel.

and last but not least. Just cut a slice out of the foam, deep enough for your wire with some room to spare. Then use a piece of the foam that you cut out, or a piece of balsa to cap off the slot.

The Stinger wing just gets sheeting on the leading and trailing edges, so you don't have to be real fancy with it, The strips to simulate the ribs will hide anything on the wing after it is covered.
Old 10-20-2002, 03:39 PM
hookemut
My Feedback: (3)

Default Servo leads thru foam

Hi,
Well, you have one suggestion, here is another:
I grind a blunt point on the end of a long length of 1/4 inch music wire. Then I fasten a wheel collar suitable for the 1/4 inch diameter about 1 inch back from the pointed end. With my Dremel cut-off wheel, I make shallow notches in the wheel collar. You now have a tool for boring holes. Chuck it up in your hand drill, place the blunt point at the wing root where you wish the lead to emerge, aim into the wing where your servo is to be, and squeeze the hand drill trigger. With slight pressure, this tool will very easily move thru the foam, just keep it pointed correctly, and periodically empty out the hole. The servo lead will just pass thru the resulting hole.
Good drilling!!
Jim
Old 10-21-2002, 10:25 PM
coyote
My Feedback: (21)

Default silly question

Thanks for the ideas. Bob