Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Brodak Vector 40

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2003, 01:00 PM
Lasse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brodak Vector 40

I have just ordered a Vector 40 from Brodak. Does anyone have any experience with this particular kit. I know that it should have been the other way round - I get some feed back, and then order - but done is done. I think the plane looks terrific so it MUST fly OK, I think. I hope to be able to fly it with a MVVS .28. How does that sound? I know that it sounds as though the Vector will be underpowered, but the MVVS has a claimed output in the region of 1.0 bhp, which seems to be more than a lot of the stunt engines in the 35-40 seize. I'm new to CL (apart from a little fooling about in my teens with some 1/2 A stunters (which actually never stunted) and the odd mouse racer), and I DO intend to do some training with some ordinary easy built trainer in the .15 range, I must rapidly add.

Comments and advice appreciated!
Old 12-09-2003, 04:25 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: Brodak Vector 40

Lasse:

Since you're in Denmark it's not really practical to hold your hand as you are learning, but the best teaching tool I ever found for control line is to tell the new flier to lock his wrist, and do all his control inputs by moving his entire forearm.

When the engine is running, and you're ready for takeoff point your arm straight at the plane, then swivel your wrist until you see the control (elevator) at a neutral position, then lock your wrist.

Tell your helper to release the plane, and keep your arm pointed directly at it. If the plane doesn't come off the ground by itself, slowly raise your arm, the plane will lift off and keep itself as an extension of your arm.

As you are flying the plane you will see it tends to keep itself straight out from your arm. Easy.

For the first few flights do all your control inputs this way, as you get more accustomed to flying you can start controlling the plane with wrist movements, a little at a time, and slowly to start.

Instructed this way, I've never had a student fail. Until he got overconfident.

I do have reservations about the MVVS 0.28 on this plane, though. It is a powerful engine when allowed to turn a lot of RPM, but this plane needs the power at a lower engine speed to fly well. Or that's my impression of it, anyway.

Bill.
Old 12-10-2003, 05:19 AM
Lasse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dear Bill,

Thank you very much for your sound advice. I'll consider what you said about the engine.

Lasse
Old 12-12-2003, 01:24 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stunt planes fly very slow. If flown too fast they will not turn small enough loops and possibly be too sensitive. Stunt engines run slow with a large prop to help pull it through the verticles despite the slower flying speed. The MVVS may still work, but expect a larger lower pitched prop than most stunt engines use. Maybe a 11-3?
Old 12-13-2003, 02:38 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot
Stunt planes fly very slow. If flown too fast they will not turn small enough loops and possibly be too sensitive.
IMHO, there is speed at which any airframe flys best depending on design and weight. Do you actually mean loops or corners (for the square maneuvers)?

Stunt engines run slow with a large prop to help pull it through the verticles despite the slower flying speed. The MVVS may still work, but expect a larger lower pitched prop than most stunt engines use. Maybe a 11-3?
There are at least two trains of thought on this. One group subscribes to the 4-2-4 break which runs the engine slow until pointed up in maneuvers. This attempts to maintain a constant velocity throughout the pattern. The second group uses a large diameter/low pitch, fast-turning prop to accomplish the same thing.

George