Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Shock mounting the ign. module?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2003, 08:40 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Shock mounting the ign. module?

Hi, one (?) more question...As I've stated in the previous threads, this is my first big spark ignition engine installation. I don't see any rubber grommits (sp?) in the package, and I'm wondering (now that I already have it mounted) if it's necessary to "shock" mount the module? It's attached to the left side of the motor mt. box that comes thru the firewall...Is vibration gonna be a problem? Do ya know if the components are potted inside the box? (3W-50cc) Thanks again, Tom.
Old 10-26-2003, 02:02 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Shock mounting the ign. module?

You bet it will. Build a ledge or something for it to rest on. Protect the module by wrapping it in 1/2" or so foam. Install some eyehooks in a location that will let you hold your module in place by stretching rubber bands over or around it. Some people use velcro, but that makes a pretty solid fastener.

Ignition modules are made with many of the same components as a receiver. You can expect it to fail just as easily as a receiver if it's subjected to excessive vibration. I learned that the hard way.
Old 10-26-2003, 08:03 AM
OscarPilot
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It gets even trickier when you take into account the they generate heat (another enemy of electronics), and should be allowed to "breathe", as per the manufacturers recommendations.
Old 10-26-2003, 08:12 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

If you can suspend the module in the air with rubber bands, you should have the best of both worlds. I have done this with both receivers and ignition modules. Another good way is to use velcro it absorbs vibration nicely.
Old 10-26-2003, 02:32 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

O.K. I'll re-do it...It's in an area where it'll get plenty of cooling, so that shouldn't be a problem...Thanks guys.
Old 10-27-2003, 01:19 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Looks I've been wrong all this time...Been solidly mounting my ignition circuits inside the rear mount on Zenoah G62 engines for 16 years..No failures..The components are stuck to the circuit board with electronic silicone or hot glue....
Old 10-27-2003, 05:26 AM
rc bugman
My Feedback: (30)

I just mount my modules on velcro. Good vibration isolation, easy to remove and open to air cooling. The entire fleet of 25 planes is mounted this way with no problems.

Elson
Old 10-27-2003, 11:10 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Looks I've been wrong all this time...Been solidly mounting my ignition circuits inside the rear mount on Zenoah G62 engines for 16 years..No failures..The components are stuck to the circuit board with electronic silicone or hot glue....
Very interesting.
Are all ignition modules made this way?
Old 10-27-2003, 07:50 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Don't know, the C&H Mod-U-El ignitions are also....
Old 10-29-2003, 09:47 PM
Nogyro
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: RCIGN1
.Been solidly mounting my ignition circuits inside the rear mount on Zenoah G62 engines for 16 years..No failures..The components are stuck to the circuit board with electronic silicone or hot glue....
I wondered how you fastened it in the cup mount. Only lasted for 16 years................ da_ _ I better start to worry. LOL