Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

What is the best aftermarket ignition for a G62

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

What is the best aftermarket ignition for a G62

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2003, 01:23 PM
slojoe
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the best aftermarket ignition for a G62

[:@]I'm still having problems with ignition on my G62 is there anybody out there that has a better ignition than what comes on it. There is alot of pilots at our field that has this motor and having no problems I guess mine was built on a Monday morning or Friday afternoon.
Old 10-27-2003, 02:18 PM
rcpilotjae-RCU
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: What is the best aftermarket ignition for a G62

Slojoe:

Try Ch Ignitions...[link]http://www.ch-ignitions.com/[/link]
Old 10-27-2003, 02:21 PM
jsilvers
My Feedback: (219)

CH ignitions makes an excellent electronic ignition.
You have to add an onboard battery for it, but it is reliable.
Old 10-27-2003, 04:06 PM
Daryl Martel
My Feedback: (3)

Recent thread here - http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Addi...1205081/tm.htm

As you can see from the pictures, I have all the stock ignition parts lying around since I converted to a CH system. The CH conversion kit is nice stuff. Anyone care to make me a reasonable offer on the stock G-62 ignition? For that matter, what is a reasonable offer for the stock ignition parts, including flywheel/prop hub? It was run, like I think 3 times!

BTW, a nice used CH ignition built into the mount setup for sale here on RCU here - http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=5801
Old 10-27-2003, 05:19 PM
AJF--2
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PLEASE TAKE MY ADVICE ON THIS ONE!!!!!!!!
Ralph Cunningham (RCING1 here on RCU) I have owned 2 of his conversions and (on my recommendation) another club member sent one in also. Mine picked up RPMs after installation. It is a mechanicial advance which makes it smoother and at $150 installed it is impossible to beat. Combine that with a lifetime garantee and you cannot go wrong. Customer service is UNBEATABLE. Ralph is always at the other end of the keyboard

Let us compare: RC Ignition and CH price arevery close and you have to install the CH yourself
CH warranty is how long? RC Ign is lifetime.
RC Ing picked up RPMs....... Not sure how CH is-- all of my CH ignitions have came installed on the engines

Just my opinion/experience
Old 10-27-2003, 08:44 PM
tkg
My Feedback: (1)

RC Ing picked up RPMs....... Not sure how CH is-- all of my CH ignitions have came installed on the engines
Timing is timing, if the timing is set the same, the RPM will be the same.
Old 10-27-2003, 09:03 PM
Daryl Martel
My Feedback: (3)

AJF--2 - unless you don't know, tkg is from CH. This has been discussed here again and again and both tkg and Ralph/RCign1 will tell you there's usually no HP/torque improvement at max RPM unless your timing was off to start with. The advance on magneto ignition installations (if I'm not mistaken) is fixed at the correct setting for max RPM, and as a consequence at all other RPM settings the fixed advance fires too soon resulting in rough midrange and gets progressively worse towards idle. The bottom line is these are both very good ignition systems with lots of positive feedback here on RCU. The only reason I recommended CH is the conversion kit installation is a no brainer - I'm sure performance is similar for both units. Ralph, do you sell a bolt on conversion kit for the G-62? I don't remember ever seeing mention of that here - I realise you'll do the install yourself if it's sent in...
Old 10-27-2003, 10:03 PM
AJF--2

I do not know all of the tech-no-speak when it comes to engines. I also do not know about timing. What I do know is that on the G62 I sent to Ralph was on a Stinger swinging a Mejslic 23/10 at 6300 RPM-- when I got it back ir was 6500RPMs. The second one was already converted when I got it so I can't say. A club member, Don Weber sent the 62 off of his Nosen p51 and he was using a 22/6-10 and his went to 7600 RPM. He has been using the same size prop for over 10 years and was complaining 2 weeks ago that he was going to have to spend money on another prop. People at the field wanted to know what he did to the plane to make it so lould. I let him use a Menz 22/12 and it knocked it down to 6300 and was a handful in the air until he got some altitude. I am not disputing-- just telling what I have seen-- and as I said

Just my opinion/experience. but I know what I saw
Old 10-27-2003, 10:21 PM
Panzlflyer
My Feedback: (15)

Now why would a chainsaw ,as they mostly are, be set for max rpm on the mag when its not run as such???.
CH states on their install instructions that the timing can be moved a little and needs to be run and tweaked to get max out of it. (least thats what it says on the last one I got).
I doubt that these beauties are the machined perfection that we wished they were and there has got to be some variations that the fixed timing cannot take care of.
Old 10-28-2003, 12:51 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

No kits, easier to do it myself...Cut off the crank, make a new carb spacer, put a pressure fitting in the carb and case, set the timing, etc....[8D]
Old 10-28-2003, 06:44 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I would just send it to Ralph at RC Ignitions.
http://www.rcignitions.com/

He is a great guy and knows his engines. I needed a six bolt to single bolt adapter for my engine. I sent him some pictures, and he sent me one cool looking adapter that lets me drill one size hole for all my propellers. on all my engines.

ORIGINAL: slojoe

[:@]I'm still having problems with ignition on my G62 is there anybody out there that has a better ignition than what comes on it. There is alot of pilots at our field that has this motor and having no problems I guess mine was built on a Monday morning or Friday afternoon.
Old 10-28-2003, 03:55 PM
slojoe

I didn't mean to start a ignition conflict If the CH is a no brainer I guess I can do it. I really do not want to take motor loose and trust a delievery driver to take it. Had many problems with them. Is there a person in the NC area that can do it?
Old 10-28-2003, 04:02 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

The CH Electronics Quick Mount is a piece of cake to mount, I have one on my G45 and it was no brainer to install. It does wonders for the idle and starting with the SynchroSpark.
Old 10-28-2003, 04:50 PM
Panzlflyer

Remember this is just an opinion....
Ralphs system works great and the extra time and care he puts in his system is well worth the money. I believe his also draws less from the battery pack and he changes the carb mount if needed for a better "shot" at the servo.It is throttle coupled.
CH also works great and is about the same price with Syncro Spark but you gotta do it yourself and it does require a few tools.You get the module and whatever mounts yours requires to fit the sensor plus the hub. It is not throttle coupled.

Feel free to correct me if Im wrong
Old 10-28-2003, 04:52 PM
Panzlflyer

Slojoe you havent really said what problems you are having???
Old 10-28-2003, 06:23 PM
slojoe

My problems were posted "g62 ignition problems" her on RCU
Old 10-28-2003, 09:15 PM
tkg
My Feedback: (1)

CH also works great and is about the same price with Syncro Spark but you gotta do it yourself and it does require a few tools.You get the module and whatever mounts yours requires to fit the sensor plus the hub. It is not throttle coupled.
CH Quick mount for G45,62 is same. Cost is $124.95. IS it a no brainer??, well we have had a few folks send their QM and engine in saying its to much.
But all you need is basic hand tools. YOU do have to set the timing to make it perfect. We send degree wheel and instructions with pictures
The QM does not need throttle coupling for timing, thats what the Syncro Spark does, computer timing control. The $124.95 includes the Syncro Spark.
Old 10-28-2003, 11:08 PM
Panzlflyer

Like I said it is NOT throtttttttle coupled.
Tkg Im not knocking it I have a few ofr them.
Old 10-29-2003, 07:06 AM
AJF--2

Personally, I like the mech linkage. It gives a uch smoother transition through the RPM range. I have had a few that almost sounded like magneto systems when you advanced the throttle.