Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Finally my micro heli flys like a dream. My journey to success.

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Finally my micro heli flys like a dream. My journey to success.

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 08:23 AM
WaynE Kinney

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally my micro heli flys like a dream. My journey to success.

Hi,
I started out with these micro heli's a few months ago, with a Smarttech Aerohawk. Well, before i could even attempt to get off the ground the 3-in-1 board fried (like they do), which was very annoying.

By this time i had found this great forum and read alot about others having their boards frying and that 'going seperates' was the best option.

Well, i half went this route and got a hummingbird mixer board and a GWS PG-3 gyro. So i started my learning in trying to hover. The aerohawk was pretty unstable, the cyclic was very unresponsive and the tail would not stay in one place. But i kept going and did strugle to hover the thing in one place. I read on this forum that the aerohawk doesnt fly very well 'out of the box', and that the whole head assembly needed sanding and freeing up. I did this which greatly improved the cyclic response, but i was still fighting with the tail.

The hummingbird mixerboard had no mixer gain adjustment on it so i couldnt tweak it. I then ended up crashing the hawk and the fibreglass shaft shattered, and i decided to buy a bare bones hummignbird kit and install my electronics.

I was so impressive at the quality of the hummingbird over the aerohawk. I installed the electronics and gave it a test fly. It flew so much better then my hawk, but i still had the same tail problem, it lacked any authority.

I thought it maybe a power issue, so i bought a 1500mah 2S lipo pack. Now this did help somewhat, but only for a few minutes of the start of the pack. It then accured to me that it could be the tail motor not up to the job, so i bought a direct drive GWS system. This made a big difference but a was still getting tail drift when i increased or decreased throttle.

I then went all the way and bought like90 blades and head stiffner, johnston 250 motor, GWS 100 for main and GWS 50 for tail plus a CSM 200 head holding gyro. With this setup, the bird flys rock solid. I am at the point where i am learning foward flight and the like90 blades perform well indeed. So, my final setup is this:

Hummingbird VII
Johnson 250 main motor
GWS EDP 50XC Direct Drive tail with 3020 orange prop
Like90 Blades
Like90 head stiffener
GWS 4 CH reciever
CSM 200 heading hold gyro
GWS-100 for main
GWS-50 for tail
2x micro servos
1500mah 2Slipo for power

I have spent a lot of money on this so far, but at least i am now happy with the performance and can now go off and learn.

Hope this was interesting for some of you,

Wayne.
Old 07-09-2004, 08:32 AM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Finally my micro heli flys like a dream. My journey to success.

Good post. This will be helpful to others.

I was so impressive at the quality of the hummingbird over the aerohawk.
More and more, I have been hearing this, through the various messages. It is nice to see such a direct comparison.
Old 07-09-2004, 11:01 AM
kagreen2k

I have a similar experience but I started out with 2 E_Skys. I got tired of parts availability and lack of parts compatibilty with the Hummingbird. I bought a Hummingbird with the Century Lightning radio, etc... I love the Hummingbird kit but the Lightning electronics are terrible. I ended up putting my E_Sky electronics into the Hummingbird and viola! I just finished my 2nd Hummingbird last night. It has separates:

Pixie 20P main ESC
Pixie 7P tail ESC
GWS 50XC DD motor (this is really the only way to go)
GY240 HH Gyro (wow!)
GW 4 channel receiver

On her initial flight (once trimmed), she flew beautifully. The tail was rock solid!

I only use stock battery packs. I have 4 of them and charge 2 at a time.
Old 07-11-2004, 07:59 PM
evil_nathan

Looks like seperates are the only way to go....

Same problems with the stock heli... blown mixer etc. So I bit-the-bullet and rebuilt it..

Dragonfly Heli: (Same heli as the Hummingbird, different name....)

-Graupner 6Volt Speed 300 motor .. I wanted the 4.8V motor like I use in my planes cos they ROCK, but was advised against it
-GWS PG-03 Gyro
-Aussie-made balsa blades (exactly like the LIKE90 ones)
-Carbon Fibre head stiffener
-GWS 100 Main ESC
-GWS 50 tail ESC
-GWS DD Tail kit
-Fiego 6Ch Receiver
-a few 1800mah 2S LiPo's

A WORD OF WARNING THOUGH!!!!

PLEASE make sure that you buy the GWS (or Pixie...) Main and tail ESC's WITHOUT BRAKES!!!!

The LHS accidently supplied a friend of mine with the GWS speedie that HAS braking (for gliders with folding props, etc) and it nearly tore his heli to shreds A quick trip to theLHS to get the non-braking speedie and it was back up in ther air without any problems at all.

This little heli flies like a DREAM now - and was WELL worth the dollars and effort to get it set up properly.

Oh - and another thing - Just watch your CG if you put a custom tail on (like the ducted fan) - you may need ballast at the front to get it balanced again. I'm using a AA battery for ballast at the moment, until I can find a better solution.

Nathan.
Old 07-12-2004, 12:45 PM
astrocyl

Same problem with my aerohawk, it's like the thoughest thing to fly in the world.
I did a lot of upgrades until I went broke......the heli behaves better but still coun't fly well.
Got to wait until funding comes before I resume...