Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Ikarus Free Wheel Kit?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Ikarus Free Wheel Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 12:17 AM
Hobbes_KGB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ikarus Free Wheel Kit?

I just discovered this free wheel kit at helihobby. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about it and how it worked. I guess what it does is allow your rotor to continue to spin freely when you let off the throttle, which seems like a pretty good idea to me. The only thing is not being able to stop your rotor when you're headed for a crash. It sounds like fun though, it'd probably make your landings more controlled. I wonder how much it weighs and if you can put it on an inverted motor. By the way, I have an aerohawk, and works real nice with all the hops i put on it. Check out the Ikarus Free Wheel Kit at http://www.helihobby.com/html/skylark_upgrades.html. That's HELIHOBBY.com... Scroll down towards the middle bottom. Any thoughts???
Old 07-12-2004, 03:45 AM
Dj Kriz

Default RE: Ikarus Free Wheel Kit?

Works kind of like a bycicle

You peddle to get speed as with your helicopter rotor, and then you stop once your happy with your speed.

With a collective pitch model get to a good height reverse the rotor pitch while throttling down and have the rotor pitch reversed by the time you have cut the throttle completely and now your heli is running free like your bike if you were not peddling.

The flywheel is really a clutch, so if the rotor is slowing and your throttle is cut bring your throttle control back up and the flywheel will catch and then the motor has some rotor speed authority again

Same with the flywheel kit but there really isn't anything special about using it on a fixed pitch heli.
Old 07-12-2004, 02:02 PM
Sabot

Is it a one-way bearing?
Old 07-12-2004, 03:12 PM
pakiji

Yes. The piccolo and the eco all come with one way bearings. The upgrade on the helihobby site is also a one way bearing.