Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Top Flite Corsair or Ziroli Corsair

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Top Flite Corsair or Ziroli Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 08:30 AM
Quinoa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Flite Corsair or Ziroli Corsair

Hi!
I know that beginners should build smaller planes, but I simply don´t
care to spend my live trying to build a giant scale one. I´m in love
with these birds.
Top Flite Corsair has building instructions from scratch. ¿Do you
think it´s a better way to learn? I want to build very slowly but at
the same time learning. Maybe my first plane will look like a duck but
not my second one. That´s my hope.
I have seen this site with the hope to find some help with my risky
adventure. Am I right to think that I will learn a lot with your
comments?
What are your tips for a person like me, that doesn´t care the time,
that just want to learn?

If a start with a smaller Top flite Corsair, I know that I´m not
wasting my time, but I prefer to beginn with a bigger one. I love
difficulties. I´m not interested to fly my first plane, just to learn
for the following project.

Thank´s for your ideas and tips

Alberto
Old 12-02-2006, 08:56 AM
gboulton
My Feedback: (15)

Default RE: Top Flite Corsair or Ziroli Corsair

Alberto,

My first scratch build I was in WAY over my head....and ya know what, I wouldn't do it any differently!

My advice (and I suspect you'll hear MUCH opposing advice) is 'Build what you want...you'll enjoy the process more'.

Now...should you be prepared for it to, as you say, come out loking like a duck? yes. Should you be prepared for it to be too heavy to fly, or unable to fly straight, or poorly balanced, or not airworthy? yes to all of those things.

BUT...if what you're looking for is the fun of learning, and the opening up of "new worlds' as you learn how airplanes work, and how to build them...then, by all means...build what you want, don't waste your time building a plane you couldn't care less about.

One SIGNIFICANT word of caution however,

If this will also be the first FLYING you have done, then I STRONGLY recommend you not make this the first plane you fly. You will have a significant amount of time, work, effort, and soul in this plane, and it would be a shame to lose it because you were an inexperienced flyer. Do your flight training on appropriate trainer models, with good instructors.

But as for your "build training"??? Eh...build what ya want.

That's my 2 cents.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:59 AM
fancman
My Feedback: (16)

If you want to see what's involved with the Ziroli corsair build, check this out.

http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum/...839&PN=1&TPN=1
Old 12-02-2006, 09:18 AM
Quinoa

Thank´s for your tips!

I have already built 3 trainers. I hope that the instructions and tips of my dealer and some literature in this website will reach. I don´t intend to fly this plane without experience. Other easier planes will help me to achieve this aim. I downloaded the instructions from the Top Flite website and they look like easy to understand. Don´t they?
Anyway, I enjoy building even more than flying. That should be any waste of time.

Anyone has experience in Topflite or Ziroli Corsair?
Old 12-02-2006, 09:27 AM
discusmike
My Feedback: (2)

If building a larger corsair makes you happy,do it.You only live once,enjoy yourself.
Old 12-02-2006, 09:34 AM
Quinoa

What makes me happy is to achieve that this plane flies great!!!
Old 12-02-2006, 11:30 AM
Hooked-On-RC

I am presently building the Top Flite Giant Scale Corsair, which by the way they have re-released the kit again. It is an easy build, the instructions are awesome, but there are a few things to be concerned with, you really have to build the tail sections light, otherwise you will need lots of weight up front to balance the plane. I cannot speak to the Ziroli Corsair however that would be a true "plans" built plane as compared to a kit such as Top Flite's. I say go for it, just do NOT fly this as your first plane ever, learn from instructors and a trainer first!
Old 12-02-2006, 12:01 PM
Quinoa

What do you mean with "tail sections light"? Has the kit low quality woods or something like that?
Why are the instructions awesome but the plane is easy to build?
What do you think is better, monocote or fiberglass to cover the fuselage?

Thank´s for answering!
Old 12-02-2006, 05:39 PM
eagledancer

if this is your first warbird build i really suggest the top flight. the instructions are worth thier weight in gold, for a experienced builder by all means go for the ziroli. there are just too many places on the ziroli you need the experance to build it. what i mean is accepted building practices are just assumed to be known on the ziroli, but it is spelled out in detail on the top flight.

and by all means get to be a very good pilot and i mean with low wing birds also! a bit of tail dragger time would also be very wise move before you try a corsair.
hope this helps and good luck

oh, on the covering, if you build the 60 size top flight monocote by all means, if you go with the much larger ones go fiberglass/paint, the bigger birds can handle the weight much better
Old 12-02-2006, 06:45 PM
Hooked-On-RC

ORIGINAL: Quinoa

What do you mean with "tail sections light"? Has the kit low quality woods or something like that?
Why are the instructions awesome but the plane is easy to build?
What do you think is better, monocote or fiberglass to cover the fuselage?

Thank´s for answering!
What I mean by "tail sections light" is go easy on the glue and if you can add lightening holes in places WITHOUT sacrificing strength do so. The instructions are very very good and the plane is easy to build. if you are building the large version (86" wingspan) then go fibreglass and paint, much nicer finish and the plane can handle the added weight!
Old 12-03-2006, 01:40 PM
Quinoa

Hi again!

Could anyone please recommend me a controller, servos and engine for this Corsair? How many servos are necessary to include also flapps?
I´ve read that zenoah G62 is a good election, isn´t it?
Old 12-04-2006, 02:59 PM
Johnnie Red

Hey Hi,

Corsair is not the right plane to start flying....Even experienced modellers are having hard times in landings many times!!!
For sure though is a beatifull one! I think that you should go on with the step by step building process of Top Flite. The Giant one is flying easier than the 60 size counterpart.
The engine should be at least 60 - 80cc if you plan to use the gasser type. Try to use cyano bonds in the tail sections in order to make it lighter and avoid adding weight in the nose.
About the servos you should use hi- torque and for adequate kilos (jr, futaba, multiplex, hitec) depends on wha you find in Spain.
Cheers + happy flying
Johnnie
Old 12-04-2006, 04:03 PM
Quinoa

Thank´s for the tips Johnnie!

But how many servos do I need. And how many channels the controller? Does anyone have experience on these questions?

Ciano bonds? Why?
Old 12-05-2006, 05:41 AM
Johnnie Red

Hey Hi Quinoa,

Cyano bonds are tough and light bonds. Epoxy is a heavy bond. That is the reason!
Now according to the servos you might require it depends on how you connect the whole configuration. For instance I would connect as follow: 2 servos for the ailerons, 2 servos for the flaps, one servo for the retracts, one or 2 servo's for the rudder, one servo for the elevator, one servo for the engine. Now if you plan to drop bomb one servo more. It is that simple. But be always prepare to use (especially for the controls) heavy duty servos. Not the small (cheap) ones. This is my receipy for the giant one. Now if you use Y harness for the ailerons then for both servos you need one channel. The same for the rudder. For the flaps you might encounter difficulties with positioning and you might need to reverse the power if not put accordingly.
Anyway it is a nice adventure, I hope you will enjoy. Here is a pic of my Top Flite Giant P-47. ( To give you some motive!)
Cheers
Johnnie
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71512.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	571998  
Old 12-05-2006, 08:01 AM
Quinoa

Just a question,

why do this great scale planes need heavy duty servos? Are the smaller ones not able to move a piece of balsa wood?

Can you please recommend me a good brand for those and for a controller (how many channels)

Thanks for your info Johnnie
Old 12-06-2006, 10:00 AM
Johnnie Red

Hey Quinoa

All the heavy airplanes are simply heavy on the controls too!! If for instance you fly a 5kilos airplane you do not need the heavy duty servo's. If you fly a 12kilos airplane then you need to put the eavy duty ones, cause from the mass + weight + speed = a lot of kilos to sustain for the servo. Good brands are all firstclass brands like JR,FUTABA,Hitec etc. If it was me I would prefer JR servos and a JR controler with at least 9 channels. But as I said before this is my opinion!
Cheers
Johnnie
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75928.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	572661  
Old 12-06-2006, 11:15 AM
Quinoa

Hi again Johnnie,
I intend to buy a new controller and everybody talks about the great features of the brand JR
Which model then for JR controller and JR servos would you recommend me? I don´t have any idea of the new technology in this field.
As your ideal configuration said, nine servos are necessary (I don´t count the BOMB!!!!). How many heavy duty servos would you install? The other ones normal servos? (which model?)

I have counted 6 channels. Am I right?

ANY THREAD EXPLAINS HOW TO INSTALL BOMBS????

Thank´s again for your help