Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

What color is the jack block?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

What color is the jack block?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 08:39 PM
whiteknight1066

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What color is the jack block?

Hey guys, how are you? I'm currently repainting my HL Pz. IV, and realized that Ihave no idea what color to paint the jack block and jack. Did these items usually get painted on the tank when it was painted? Would they be taken off to paint and remain the original color, such as a jack remaining the original dunkelgrau when the tank is painted dunkelgelb or ambush in the field? And was the block painted or left "natural"? Thanks guys, appreciate the guidance! I'll post pics when Iget done.

Andrew

Come to think, are ALLthe tools the same color as the tank? Or a standard color, like olivgrun or dunkelgrau? I'm under the impression the handles were left natural...</p>
Old 02-17-2011, 09:04 PM
pattoncommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What color is the jack block?

The block was wood so should be a dirty hunk of wood, maybe with some grease on it. Pioneer tools had wooden handles. If you use a dark wood and apply some dirt, it will look a lot more realistic than the glossy , yellowish colors that they have on them. The shovel, axe and sledge head should be black...shovel with a bit of silver showing.....a touch of Rust-All helps. All of the steel tools and the jack should show use with dirt, and maybe a touch of rust. USA pioneer tools usually had handles painted OD to preserve the wood. Paint them a little off shade from the tank and they will look better.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:24 PM
whiteknight1066

Thanks for the help, Iappreciate it. So you're suggesting Ipaint the German tools black-is this an effect, like to get old-looking metal, or did they actually paint them black? And I'll have to aquire some rust-all, I've heard good things about it but haven't had the opportunity to try it out.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:17 AM
pattoncommander

Black or dark grey heads....look at any sledge, pickaxe or 60" tanker pry bar and they will be nearly universally black. Track jacks also. Shovels are used a lot, so some bare metal will be showing. I paint my handles a bit off color from the vehicle to make them stand out as separate items and then too, when they are used, the wooden handles to absorb dirt and grease, which alters the colors anyway. Just makes them more realistic. When tanks are painted/repainted, the OVM is generally removed....in most cases. There are times when pioneer tools (and sadly enought rubber on the wheels) also get painted with the vehicle. So either way is "kosher" but personally, I prefer the "in field used" look of my tools. Like tow cables...many times they are not placed back into the brackets intended for thier use and just strung along the sides. If you have a tank that has had mechanical problems or has been towed or pulled out of something a number of times, or have had the misfortune of finding a couple mines, it's easier to pick up the tow cables off the sponsons than to unlatch them from the designated clamps etc. Look at some of the photos of actual tanks in the field. Here's an overhead shot of my IDF Shermans and note how the pioneer tools stand out.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11811.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	239.0 KB
ID:	1565866  
Old 02-18-2011, 07:36 AM
whiteknight1066

Ah, great explanation, thanks so much! This'll allow me to clean up my tank alot. Thank you!

Andrew</p>
Old 02-18-2011, 08:01 AM
RodgerB

I put some dark grease on my jack block which is made of Oak. Just some splotches and let them sit in the sun for a day or two and then wipe them off. It will look natural then. On the Jack, have not goten that far yet
Old 02-18-2011, 02:08 PM
1sgt

ORIGINAL: pattoncommander

Black or dark grey heads....look at any sledge, pickaxe or 60'' tanker pry bar and they will be nearly universally black. Track jacks also. Shovels are used a lot, so some bare metal will be showing. I paint my handles a bit off color from the vehicle to make them stand out as separate items and then too, when they are used, the wooden handles to absorb dirt and grease, which alters the colors anyway. Just makes them more realistic. When tanks are painted/repainted, the OVM is generally removed....in most cases. There are times when pioneer tools (and sadly enought rubber on the wheels) also get painted with the vehicle. So either way is ''kosher'' but personally, I prefer the ''in field used'' look of my tools. Like tow cables...many times they are not placed back into the brackets intended for thier use and just strung along the sides. If you have a tank that has had mechanical problems or has been towed or pulled out of something a number of times, or have had the misfortune of finding a couple mines, it's easier to pick up the tow cables off the sponsons than to unlatch them from the designated clamps etc. Look at some of the photos of actual tanks in the field. Here's an overhead shot of my IDF Shermans and note how the pioneer tools stand out.

PC,
Boy oh boy do I remember having to clean paint off of all rubber pieces of equipment getting ready for the annual IG inspection. It made a young PVT to be very careful when touching up the paint a vehicle.

Jim
Old 02-18-2011, 05:40 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The handles of the wire cutters was actually a material called Bakelite. It was dark brown- blackish in collor. The wood handled tools where probably hickory or some other harder wood so they would be kind of dark also. The metal parts would be a metal color obviously but that can vary. A hammer may be dark but the shovel head would be clean shinny steel from use. So some artistic license is given here with this stuff. Wood would naturally be wood. Dirty yes, as with most of the tools. But the Germans where pretty particular with their maintenance so the tools may have been kept quite clean.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:01 PM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: Panther G

The handles of the wire cutters was actually a material called Bakelite. It was dark brown- blackish in collor. The wood handled tools where probably hickory or some other harder wood so they would be kind of dark also. The metal parts would be a metal color obviously but that can vary. A hammer may be dark but the shovel head would be clean shinny steel from use. So some artistic license is given here with this stuff. Wood would naturally be wood. Dirty yes, as with most of the tools. But the Germans where pretty particular with their maintenance so the tools may have been kept quite clean.
I originally thought the handles of the wire cutters were wood, but...
http://www.network54.com/Forum/47207...V+wire+cutters
Pretty interesting.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:20 PM
streetsquid

WhiteKnight1066,
Here's a link to what I did with my jack on my Panther, take a look to see if it's something you might like. Sorry had trouble posting the pic from my club's website, so all I could give you was this link. Scroll backwards 2 or 3 pictures and you can also see my jack block painted up on the side of the Panther hull

http://www.desertarmor.com/DAK_PROJE..._Redux.html#31

I'll try post a few pics a bit later tonight and see if I have any better success

Squid
Old 02-20-2011, 11:42 AM
pattoncommander

Man, have been through too much of that Bravo Sierra. How about rust in the antenna mast base socket.[:@] or paint on the hatch
seals[&:]

Panther, roger that....also the handles on the cal 50 spade grips,,, some Bakelite and some hard wood, so dark wood or a wine color is good. I have been in units that required the shovel to be painted with a 1/2 inch bare metal strip at the edge. Looked OK for inspection, but after a week in the field [:'(]

As I posted a few times, get some photos and model the tank after what you see in the pic.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:57 PM
Old MSgt

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Any wood blocks would look different because of what they're made of, used for, used in what; mud, snow, sand, etc. Like any cribbing for a crane, dozer, loader, trailers, pallets, wheel chocks, aircraft, bumper blocks, jack bases, loading docks, and everything else big pieces of wood are used for, they get worn, chipped, stained with mud, oil, gas/diesel, grease, and good stuff like that.

All the years I was a heavy equipment 'BTO' (that's 'Big Time Operator' as we joke about) every big heavy chunk of wood that was used always has a lot of damage unless it was absolutely BRAND NEW but it didn't look new after the first time used. And these wood pieces have a very rough life: push/thrown off high heights, kicked, dragged, rocked, pressed, chucked, cussed... That's why when I was making the jack block for a tank I'm messing with, I wanted to make the jack block look 'real', like it HAS been used.

It's a wood block for a jack for a large, heavy piece of equipment that's been used...

Mike

Name:	Xv63779.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	1567091  
Old 02-20-2011, 04:03 PM
Old MSgt

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

I've also seen wood block bases put together with two steel rods thru them, without the bands. That's why I made this block without'em for the Tamiya Panther. I want to make all the other blocks on my tanks look real for a little more realism cause a plastic piece that's representing a wood block and what it was used for.

Mike in Kentucky

Name:	Tr51689.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	1567249