Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

BEST LRP MOTOR FOR XL

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 08:26 PM
otistheworm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BEST LRP MOTOR FOR XL

HEy guys im just wondering what is the best Lrp motor for the savage xl.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:33 PM
bigwaltc

Default RE: BEST LRP MOTOR FOR XL

I don't have a .28 but the .30 is a power house it will do wheelies like no HPI engine will, not as good as a Picco.28 but very close. The .30 has more power then the average guy needs easy to tune and start [sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 11-15-2009, 08:47 PM
otistheworm

is it the lrp 30 spec 3 or 2? lol i need the model num gonna get it for christmas
Old 11-15-2009, 10:18 PM
howlinwolph

I just got the XL for christmas can't afford a 200 + dollar engine. wish I could.LOL
Old 11-15-2009, 10:30 PM
bigwaltc

ORIGINAL: otistheworm

is it the lrp 30 spec 3 or 2? lol i need the model num gonna get it for christmas
This one http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXXDA0&P=SM [sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 11-16-2009, 02:15 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Me and shoestringracer have been running the LRP .30 for quite a bit... It has good power and excellent torque/ midrange, but the damn thing has SO many problems.. Will not run right worth a crap, top end if falls on its face.. It drinks fuel at 2X the rate of my STS .30, yuck. I know people have claimed this is a good engine, but thats the experience I've had with the .30 so far.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:21 PM
bigwaltc

ORIGINAL: rcnitrohead

Me and shoestringracer have been running the LRP .30 for quite a bit... It has good power and excellent torque/ midrange, but the damn thing has SO many problems.. Will not run right worth a crap, top end if falls on its face.. It drinks fuel at 2X the rate of my STS .30, yuck. I know people have claimed this is a good engine, but thats the experience I've had with the .30 so far.
What pipe are you running? [sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 11-16-2009, 02:52 PM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: rcnitrohead

I have been less then impressed with my LRP 30 as well.... it seems to have issues idling down clean after a high speed pass, it wants to carry a high idle no matter how fat you set the LSN...It has reasonable power but it sure doesn't run clean on the low end, any time the engine gets up to temp it wants to lean cackle at idle... if the engine is cool it runs very good, but as soon as its heat soaked it tunes terrible..... I am noticing the Losi 454's doing the exact same thing..... The fun of aluminum carburetors ! Composite have their own unique quirks to overcome as well but they tune much better when everything is heat soaked.... I have a feeling a OS or Novarossi carb would help the LRP 30 quite a bit......
Old 11-16-2009, 02:55 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What fuel and plugs are you people running?? I've heard mostly good stuff about the 30(and am planning to get one..).. - including from budbud, who has said over and over that the LRP 30 is a lesser maintenance but still powerful alternative to a Picco 28(though the Picco has more power..) I've heard of some carb issues with the 454, but nothing really bad about the 30.. I've even heard it gets better run-time than the 28 - however that could be...
Old 11-16-2009, 03:00 PM
wolfie1

thats interesting you saying that i have the lrp and the equvalent in nosram and both do that to i have just bought an 053 pipe for it but am waiting for a manifold to arrive so as to fit it to my xl
Old 11-16-2009, 07:46 PM
BudBud

Run time seems about right to me. The LRP 30 works great in my Savages, I liked it well enough that I bought a second one for my MBX5T. I must say it is pretty disappointing in the Mugen, no top end, really flat on the top side compared to my Piccos, even my Picco 26 or 27. That being said, the LRP 30 in my Savage does not seem to give up a lot of top end to the Picco and I very seldom have to do anything but start it and run. There was an Ebay seller selling LRP 30 parts and I bought 8 button and plugs from him for less than I could buy plugs for. I have been running the stock plugs and only had one go bad in the Savage.

The only complaint I have on my LRP 30 in my Savage is that once it gets the carb heat soaked, it boils the fuel back and is hard to start hot. I just carry about 12 to 18" of fuel line with me to prime it again. I had a LRP 28 in an XL before and thought it was a little light on torque. It worked really nice in the X chassis.

The lean idle down, I do not notice it on the 30 in my XL, but I remember fighting it all the time in my X with the 28 and the 30 in my Mugen does it all the time. I tried an 086 on the 30 in my Mugen, but it did not seem to make much difference over the 053 I was running.

I have been thinking about putting a pull start backing plate on my bump 30 and seeing how it does in a XL.... A Picco 28 will slaughter the 30 in a truggy application, but I think the Savage robs so much power at higher rpms that the Picco 28 loses some of its edge. It is still faster, but not nearly as dramatically as it is in the truggy application. Just my two cents worth.... Glen
Old 11-17-2009, 12:05 AM
rcnitrohead

Supertib got some of our problems... That thing LOVES to keep spinning at high RPM after a high speed pass.. Idling is unreliable, it dislikes starting when warm.. The one he has especially has major problems idling, something is up cause that thing wont idle worth a crap- and we've tried everything.. Plugs are O'Donnell's.. Fuel is Byrons Gen 2. We've run a Tsais side pipe (not sure which), and tried the HPI Polished on it.. Similar performance with both really. Only cool thing is that it lifts the wheels of my Savage on every throttle input, 2nd gear wheelies at the shift are waaaaay too common with 17/49 gearing haha, thats about as much fun as we get from it..

It DRINKS gas, not even funny... I need to stick my STS in my truck when I get the issues fixed about stripping spurs, but I'm pretty sure the LRP goes through gas at least 20% quicker...
Old 11-17-2009, 02:07 AM
HerrSavage

I've heard from a couple people here with both that the 30 actually drinks less than the 28 - somehow..

I can't help but wonder if there's just some anti-LRP prejudice affecting the outcomes here.. I don't see how or why this engine should have idle or tuning problems unless there's a user tuning or setup issue or something, and that's obviously not the case.

I took my LRP 28 out on Sunday, after having it sit there for half the year, and it ran like a top.. Great power too.. Along with the Mach 427's the best, easiest, lowest-hassle engine I've had.. And it moves my ten-ton LST2 around really well.. Will be getting a 30 next I think.. If the 28 ever dies..
Old 11-17-2009, 07:28 AM
supertib

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

I've heard from a couple people here with both that the 30 actually drinks less than the 28 - somehow..

I can't help but wonder if there's just some anti-LRP prejudice affecting the outcomes here.. I don't see how or why this engine should have idle or tuning problems unless there's a user tuning or setup issue or something, and that's obviously not the case.

I took my LRP 28 out on Sunday, after having it sit there for half the year, and it ran like a top.. Great power too.. Along with the Mach 427's the best, easiest, lowest-hassle engine I've had.. And it moves my ten-ton LST2 around really well.. Will be getting a 30 next I think.. If the 28 ever dies..

The LRP/SH engines tune horrible dude ! nowhere near as stable as the Italian engines........They don't run anywhere near as crisp either, nor do they make anywhere near the same power...... IMO they are still a good engine for beginners as they will somewhat run with any tune...But they are definitely nothing special in the tuning department...they are extremely prone to heat soak, they lack top end, and even when they are tuned in they never clear out or rev like an Italian engine....... IMO you do get what you pay for........... Now I know how to tune and setup an engine and prejudice has nothing to do with my results.... The engine just doesn't have it, nor does it tune worth a dam..... Now I am also looking for the same quality of tune I get on the Italian engines... instant power off idle, no loading up even with 30 second idle, screaming clean running top end with no breakup, instant idle down off jumps, and able to hold that tune tank after tank on a track...... The LRP/SH engines just aren't capable of that level of performance...they run decent for most of tank 1, but once they get heat soaked they run like a bag of poop.....
Old 11-17-2009, 08:35 AM
supertib

I should add that I spend almost every day testing and tuning race engines.. So my tuning expectations are likely much higher then the average Joe basher....I am very good at tuning and I do 99% of my tuning by sound alone, I don't even own a temp gun......In my group we have a high number of SH mills, we have several mach 427's, SW 26's, Mach 454's and a LRP 30 and we regularly run them with our Picco's, OS, Go's etc.... I tune pretty much everyone's engine in the group , and I tune everyone's engine to the best they are capable of...... If you are willing to overlook a few raspberries the SH engines tune pretty easily, but if you start looking for a perfect tune then they start becoming a PITA......By contrast the Picco's are extremely precise tuning, with the proper needling their tune can be spot on perfect with zero compromises... A Picco doesn't have nearly as wide of tuning window it will run with as compared to the Sh..... As well the Picco tune will be much more affected by weather change, it will tell you its going to rain before it even starts to rain...They are extremely accurate carbs, but they are sensitive....... The Sh carbs are not overly accurate, but they are extremely forgiving..... However when comparing final performance fully tuned the Picco is a much better tuning engine, with the proper skills a Picco can be absolutely perfect....idle all day, instant throttle response, screaming top end, instant idle down absolutely perfect....... Even with me tuning the SH carbs just aren't capable of the same precise tune, there is always a compromise of one characteristic or another...........even the sound of these engines are radically different...Sh engines don't like to run clean, they tend to always have a gurgle and miss to the exhaust note almost like they never fully clear out ( which would partially explain the horrible mileage, by contrast a Picco just sings, its exhaust note is clean/pure and consistent with no audible breakups or pulses...... It almost seems to me that the SH engines need to run extremely rich, if you attempt to run them any leaner they start having crazy high idle characteristics and the temps will skyrocket... No wonder they are so hard on fuel, and no wonder they never sound like they are fully clearing out.. as they pump a ton of fuel, the engine doesn't make enough power to possibly be burning all that fuel cleanly.. a Picco 28 makes way more power and RPM and uses way less fuel........... So in the end I consider the SH engines to be a decent starter engine, but compared to a properly tuned race engine they are sloppy tuning fuel wasters.....
Old 11-17-2009, 04:13 PM
HerrSavage

As I've said many times before, I don't doubt for a second that the Picco is a better, crisper, faster engine. But I KNOW that I can take my LRP out after it sitting there for six months, start it right up, and run it - hard - even on an off-tune and it'll just keep going.

No need to get into arguments about toy truck engines. But we're all in the hobby with different expectations, goals, budgets, interests, etc... I'll admit to being odd in that I hate wrenching and fiddling.. I want to drive and thrash my trucks.. And SH mills let me do that with the least hassle, and plenty enough power for me to have a great time..

Short sidenote - on Sunday, I was thrashing my LST2 around in this big field nearby which happens to be near an old-folks' home, and there was a guy there with an ancient Savage 25, and some gasser thing.. I was wheelying and going crazy, and very obviously more my truck was more impressive than the other two.. There were kids there mesmerized, and I don't think I'll ever forget seeing this old man with such a big smile on his face I thought he'd fall over.. Yeah I'd've been faster with a Novarossi or whatever engine, and hours (not to mention money..) more invested in breaking it in, setting it up, etc.. But I had fun - so did the old man.. And for me that's all that matters.. SH engines let me have the kind of fun that I like - the low maintenance kind.. And I'm fine with that.. To each his own..
Old 11-17-2009, 05:25 PM
rcnitrohead

^ I look for that same kind of experience.. I don't need a pro engine, but I do have expectations... I think shoestringracer's particular LRP .30 is a lemon, something is wrong with it because it goes through fuel fast and wont have a steady idle no matter what, always stalls after more than 30 secs of idling.. My STS .30 on the otherhand, after I stripped my 10th spur on my Savage (something is tweaked in the mounting/ clutch).. I let it idle for half a tank.... 15-20 mins of pure idling while we ran his other Savage... Thats the experience I expect, reliability, easy tuning, easy starting, excellent power. The LRP is horrible to restart once warm, I don't know if its all- or just this one but it goes through way too much fuel, idling is horrible, and lastly- holds high RPM for a while after coming off a fast pass. Those are the issues I've encountered.. I have no bias towards any engine, I just want something that fits the previously mentioned requirements- the LRP we are running, fails pretty badly. The only area it shines in is torque, the engine has pure gobs of it on the low and mid range.. My truck is light for a Savage, now also running 2WD with the front gutted.. Anything more than 1/3rd throttle even when hitting the second gear shift, it lifts the wheels.. 2nd gear wheelies on any surface are possible with half throttle, thats where I actually enjoy driving it... Until it flips over and has 15 secs till it shuts off, then we spend 5 mins letting it cool to restart [:@].

Tom.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:33 PM
HerrSavage

And all that from somebody who's had good luck with an STS 30... Based on all I've ever heard about STS's, I wouldn't touch an STS with a 20-foot pole...

JK..(except about ever considering an STS...) It's all a crapshoot...
Old 11-18-2009, 11:33 AM
supertib

And all that from somebody who's had good luck with an STS 30... Based on all I've ever heard about STS's, I wouldn't touch an STS with a 20-foot pole...

STs are the most hit and miss engines ever.....When you do get a good STS they are really good.... However those good ones seem to be far and few between......However i did have a few STS 30's that tuned awesome and screamed just like a Italian race engine.....However I had a higher number fall apart shortly after break in...... If they could keep consistent they have a solid engine design, but their manufacturing practices were horrible........
Old 11-18-2009, 04:16 PM
stussman

ORIGINAL: supertib

STs are the most hit and miss engines ever.....When you do get a good STS they are really good.... However those good ones seem to be far and few between......However i did have a few STS 30's that tuned awesome and screamed just like a Italian race engine.....However I had a higher number fall apart shortly after break in...... If they could keep consistent they have a solid engine design, but their manufacturing practices were horrible........
Iam gunna try an sts 30 or 28 bump start soon. I will let you no if quality has improved.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:41 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Tib, how are those Go 28s treating you?
How hard would it be to have a 6 port 28 with a pull/rotostart?
Old 11-18-2009, 07:10 PM
rcnitrohead

LOL... Still have skeptics about my claims I see, times will never change I see. Tell you what, once I get my spur problem fixed (hopefully quite soon)... I'll break out the camera, and show what this engine with 9.5 gallons can do, with my first attempt hack job mod package, and how it can sit and idle all day long without issue, and with a blip of the throttle it will snap without bogging. Then, I'll take the LRP .30 and fire it up... You think I come here on my spare time to talk trash? I've made maybe 10 posts in the last 2 months here, I barely get to break out the R/Cs and have sold a lot of what I own.. I don't care what you or anyone else thinks, I have attempted to give an honest opinion about the engine... I'll just make it simple and take a vid of both engines running, simple as that.. (Once again, IF I can resolve the problem with my ST stripping spurs... either clutch setup, mount, or crankcase are causing the problem)..
Old 11-19-2009, 02:15 AM
HerrSavage

Wasn't talking trash dude.. Really.. Not at all. To each his own.. I don't doubt your STS is good. Or that you maybe got an LRP 30 lemon.. Happens throughout RC..

I've decided for myself though regardless - I'll be getting an LRP 30 soon(I hope.. - winter kind of puts a downer on RC..), and just hope I'm as happy with it as I have been with my 28 and all my other SH engines..