gas engine G-26 help

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 04:34 PM
763ersma27

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas engine G-26 help

guys,

just got my first gasonline enigne, a G-26

can someone give me a diagram for the fuel setup, lines from the tank, what line goes to the muffler tip, and where to place the fill..

thanks so much.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:59 PM
The Ghost

Default RE: gas engine G-26 help

Use a 3 line setup. 1) Pick up to carb, 2) Vent (outside of aircraft), 3)Fill (plug after fill), you dont have one to the muffler.

Cheers
Old 07-08-2008, 07:06 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gas engine dont need to be pressured like glow
Old 07-08-2008, 08:01 PM
warks62
My Feedback: (140)

Actually I always use a fuel tee in the line from clunk to carb for filling and draining the tank. Keeps it simple and you don't have to worry about fuel being pushed into the carb the gas carbs have a needle and seat that close so you can pump in the fuel but it only goes to the tank. I have done this way for years and most of all the guys I fly with do the same on gas. Oh and like what was said no line to the muffler just vent it to the bottom of the plane.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43785.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	7.8 KB
ID:	986602  
Old 07-08-2008, 09:29 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

A few things to remember :
Always use a gas compatible tank stopper such as the Dubro brown gas stopper and similar fuel tubing like Tygon or Hayes black seamless neoprene tubing.

Always loop the vent line around the back of the tank and then down and out the fuse bottom.

Use a felt filtered clunk on the tank's feed line, keeps the fuel to the carb dirt and bubble free.

Always uses some type of barb arrangement to keep the gas tubing on the tank's brass tubing as the vibrations of a gasser can make them slip off and secure all the connections with small electrical nylon ties. It's best to use a tie before and after the barb.

Karol
Old 07-09-2008, 09:46 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Warks, is that tee and easy set up and does it tell you what direction goes to the tank and what side is the carb , I like your idea and would like to give that a try .
Also wrapping all the lines is a very good suggestion
Old 07-10-2008, 05:45 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Barbs on the tubes out of the tank can be made by soldering a small piece of paper clip wire to the tube, make sure you do the clunk inside the tank as well. Also make sure you don't leave behind any sharp edges that would cut through the tube.

Vent line needs to go over the top of the tank before exiting the fus to stop fuel from syphoning out in manouvres.

I personnally don't like the T connection in the feed line as it introduces another joint that could suck in air, I have also found that the commecially avilable fill valve sealing rings break up in time and allow debris into the carb with obvious results, I always use a dedicated filler.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30486.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	987276   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65168.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	987277   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73603.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	987278  
Old 07-10-2008, 07:47 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words as those say it all. I'm with Mike on the T connection issue, as I've done that and got burned. Now I use a dedicated third line for filling and emptying the tank.

Karol
Old 07-10-2008, 07:09 PM
surf

BaldEagle, As I'm building my first gasser, I noticed in your picture that it appears there is no foam padding under or around the fuel tank. Is the foam required on gas planes? I know it is a must on glow. Thanks.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:45 AM
dragoonpvw
My Feedback: (7)

I will also recommend a three line setup. I don't know anyone who uses a two line on gas engines. The line stays primed if you have a dedicated feed line, and I also feel more comfortable keeping the pump diaphragm wet. Also when using a two line setup with a tee, filling between the felt clunk and the carb is a certain way to let contamination in. If you are careful you may avoid it but with a three line setup the chance is eliminated along with possible air leaks. Who wants to do a carb rebuild just because they pushed a bit of crap in when they were refuelling, it is a much more involved job than on a glow engine.
good luck
Paul