View Poll Results: A poll
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

3W-24 ignition problem ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2004, 02:07 PM
dovella

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3W-24 ignition problem ?

I have this engine for about two years. I have ran it for about 3 hours since I started to use it.
Lately I built my new plan and fixed it in. I went to the field and I could not start it at all.
The battery is 1400mA and was tested under load it came out Okay.
Then I took out the plug to check it with and got no results.(no SPARK )
I read a lot about ignition problems and realized that my sensor is probably the root cause for my problem.It probbably a coil sensor (???)
I unscrew it (the ignition unit )and tried to pass a magnet over the metal part that is molded in the black holder. no matter how close I was the ignition did not spark. Touching the metal with a magnet with the right pool did induce a spark.

DID ANYONE HAVE THIS IN THE PAST? WHAT WAS THE SULOTION?[sm=drowning.gif]
[]
Old 10-01-2004, 05:13 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: 3W-24 ignition problem ?

Most 3W ignition problems are in the plug cap, the spark jumps inside instead of going to the spark plug...The sensor on a 3w is just a small metal pin with wires wrapped around it, nothing in there to go wrong unless one of the wires is broken....
It takes some rpm to actuate the ignition, just slowly waving a magnet across the sensor won't trigger the circuit like a Hall effect sensor..You can take the plug cap off the end of the wire...There's a piece crimped over the shield braid under the heat shrink, and the wire will unscrew out of the cap...The piece crimped over the braid can be spread apart and re used..
Cactus Aviation sells new caps.........
Old 10-02-2004, 11:04 AM
Luizinho
My Feedback: (10)

Hi. I am using a 3W 24i in an CA Model Extra 300L 24%. The engine is New, the propeller well balance is an 18x10. But it has a lot of vibration, I don´t now why. I Have a Friend that has the same plane with the same engine and he does not have that vibration. Que some one help me.
Old 10-07-2004, 03:14 AM
dovella

The problem was solved the sensor was bad.
now it run as a 3W excellent power

Dov