Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Securing a battery

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Securing a battery

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2004, 07:29 AM
propnut 127

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Securing a battery

I secure my battery by gluing velcro in the plane and wrapping it witht he velcro. It seems a bit flimsy so I was wondering how you guys do it?

Daryl[8D]
Old 01-18-2004, 11:17 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Securing a battery

I use 1/8" balsa sheet as a mounting surface and glue 1/4" x 1/2" spruce around the parameter. Then I screw in 6 wood screw eyebolts with the eye bent out enough to make a hook. Two on each side and one on each end. Then sandwich the battery and receiver with lots of foam held in with rubber bands. It the battery comes loose, thats the least of your problems. I tried velcro a couple of times. Didnt have any problems with it but I didnt feel that comfortable with it.
Edwin
Old 01-18-2004, 12:14 PM
WilsonFlyer
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I lost a G-62 25% Sukhoi with a velcro'ed in battery. We're about 90% sure that's what happened. Was doing a snap and then suddenly NOTHING. No control whatsoever. STRAIGHT DOWN from 400+ feet. Not pretty. Velcro? NEVER AGAIN!
Old 01-18-2004, 12:23 PM
barto

I just use a big block of foam and cut out a whole where my battery fits in. Make the hole a bit to small and it will have a nice fit.
Then I put another piece of foam on top which I usually sandwich against the wing.
Old 01-18-2004, 01:46 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I use velcro for the receiver but the battery packs are a little heavy so I would not use velcro for large packs.
Old 01-18-2004, 04:37 PM
voyager_663rd

assuming you have the access holes to slip them thru, zip tie(s).
Old 01-19-2004, 11:59 AM
glowplug
My Feedback: (1)

I normally use 1/4" x 1/4" balsa strips CA'd to the fuselage sides to secure the battery in the fuse.
Old 01-19-2004, 03:31 PM
Mike in DC

ORIGINAL: LearningMan
Velcro? NEVER AGAIN!
If you just stuck a piece of velcro to the battery, and another to the fuse, and stuck them together, then I would agree. However, in the past I've used velcro strap looped around a frame member then around the battery, and I can't see that letting go in the air.

Even so, I use zip ties now.
Old 01-19-2004, 11:15 PM
voyager_663rd

or a couple of sticks (popsicle?) ca'd to the former right behind the tank then zip tie around that.
Old 01-19-2004, 11:29 PM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: propnut 127

I secure my battery by gluing velcro in the plane and wrapping it witht he velcro. It seems a bit flimsy so I was wondering how you guys do it?

Daryl[8D]
I use velcro with the "spectrum" adhesive (heavy duty adhesive) on my batteries and receiver. I am using this method for 1400mah NiCd in my 60 and 90 sized planes going though violent snaps and spins with no problems at all. Here's how I do it :

1) Apply epoxy on the flat base of the fuse or whatever area where the batt is to be attached to get a good adhesion surface for the velcro.
2) Clean the cured epoxy with alcohol or acetone
3) Apply two strips (one inch width) of hook velcro firmly on the surface. I add 1 to 1.5 inches either way so that I can shift the battery position for cg adjustment
4) Wrap the battery with 1/4 inch foam and wrap tightly with filament tape.
5) Clean the surface of the filament tape with alcohol, then apply two strips of loop velcro around the batt
6) Stick the battery down !

Hope this helps