Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Motor mount repair

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Motor mount repair

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 01:12 PM
BobMcCaw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor mount repair

Hello, I tried posting this to the "engines" thread but I guess it was the wrong area, cuz I didn't get any replies. Yesterday I made a one point landing, on the prop spinner, and broke the 8mmX5mm wooden piece that the motor slides on to, on my Tiger Moth. The piece is glued into the body during assembly and the body halves are glued together. Does any one have suggestions on how to repair it? My thought was to drill it out and epoxy a dowel or long bolt into it.
Thanks, Bob McCaw
Old 01-19-2004, 01:19 PM
J_R

Default RE: Motor mount repair

Is it a kit or an ARF? Are the plans posted online by the manufacturer so that we can look at them?

Is this an engine beam mount that is broken?
Old 01-19-2004, 01:30 PM
BobMcCaw

It is an ARF GWS Pico-Tiger Moth. The broken part is the engine "IPS Mount". They show it on their manual http://www.gws.com.tw/english/product/airfly/tm.htm
It sticks out of the fuselage 3.5 mm and broke in half.
Thanks for your time.
Old 01-19-2004, 08:13 PM
J_R

If it's broken along the grain of the wood, I would just glue it with some medium CA. I think the reason you didn't get answers before was chosing the engine forum. I suspect the electric forums will be of more help.
Old 01-19-2004, 10:41 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bob, Yep, you'd get better responses in the electric forums.

That being said, I have a GWS Cub (same mount, motor, etc.) and had to replace it. I drilled out the old mount, or most of it, with progressively larger drill bits, until I got to the size I needed for a piece of dowel I had. I carved the end of the dowel that goes into the gearbox until it was square. I'm sure you get the idea.
Dennis-
Old 01-20-2004, 08:21 PM
Covetski

hey, I think using medium ca is a good idea, trully, I think you should just buy another, the engine mount has safty features, if you glue it, it might damage the saftey features... usually NOT good for the engine
Old 01-21-2004, 03:15 PM
FHHuber
Banned

The balsa mount is made to break off in a minor crash before the gear drive breaks. Dowel insertion (to make the beam stronger) will have the gears break or the prop shaft bend before the mount breaks next time.

too late now... but the balsa "beam" needs to be installed so that its removeable for replacement. Carry 3 or 4 spare balsa beams in your flight box.(and carry a long #4 wood screw to pull the balsa out of the gear's box...) its a simple matter of placing the balsa beam in the fuselage and drilling 2 holes for 1/16 dowel pins. (skip the glue on the beam) When it breaks... drive out the dowels, and insert the replacement. (under 2 min to replace one now )