Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

I want to fiberglass?!?!

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

I want to fiberglass?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2004, 04:28 PM
maxburg96
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want to fiberglass?!?!

I want to fiberglass a small 1/8th piper cub that i have built. right now its just the basic balsa structure. do i need to put some sort of covering over the skeleton before i fiberglass or can i just directly fiberglass the skeleton?? thanks.
Old 01-21-2004, 05:15 PM
Doug D.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: I want to fiberglass?!?!

Don't think that you'll want to fiberglass a Piper Cub. The real ones are fabric covered than painted.
Fiberglassing models is usually done to sheeted wood surfaces. Or solid wood structures.
[&:]
Old 01-21-2004, 05:17 PM
rcalfred

Sorry, you can't fiberglass over open bays: like wings, stabs, fuselages. Glassing is for giving a smooth, stable base, to sheeted surfaces. Regards.
Old 01-21-2004, 06:17 PM
Patriot

I highly recommend you listen to these gents, as they are very correct. You will absolutely ruin your model if you try to cover it over the open bays with fiberglass. May I suggest using a fabric type iron on covering like Solartex. Or, if you want, you can use the old fashioned dope method with either silk or Sig Koverall.

Please don't try to fiberglass your cub, you will hate yourself for even trying it.[]

Patriot

P.S. When you are finished, try to post some pics of it, we would love to see it.