Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

VP-20 pump and .72 Saito?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2003, 10:55 AM
SpaceCase
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VP-20 pump and .72 Saito?

Ok call me crazy, egnouf people do, but I wanted to mount my tank toward the cg, 12oz. is a lot of weight. The prob is, is that some say this pupm cant pupm that far back. Im haveing a propblem leaning out my high end needle valve. Im not getting that nice clear transition. Im only turning a 13x6 power point wood prop at 9200 rpms with 10 % nitro. Whats strange is when I go to turn the needle valve and put pressure on it the engine starts to run faster. Im thinking of scrapping the pump idea. Any thoughts would be much apreciated.
Old 08-26-2003, 03:58 PM
JWN
Community Moderators
My Feedback: (42)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the engine acting rich or lean? If lean, richen the pump. If the engine is rich and the needle is sensitive, lean the pump. The pump can handle pulling fuel from the CG on any plane your .72 is suitable for.

John
Old 08-26-2003, 04:04 PM
outssider
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check your engine for drastic changes in vibration level as you throttle up!!

the vp-20 works of the vibration of your engine !! if the engine vibrates erratically as the rpm's change.... then the pump will vibrate erratically..... this will cause the pressure coming off the pump to be inconsistent.
Old 08-27-2003, 12:17 PM
SpaceCase

Yup, if I start to lean out my needle valve at the point where it should osilate and then start to run the fastest it would, transision, it only gos to about 9200 rpms then will shut down when I turn the valve any more. Iv try to adjust the pump but things change on it, its kinda hard to get it to go consistantly. Im leaning toward what outsider's saying. I am picking up some vibration. Another problem all together, topflight mag ballancer ok but not super good at ballaceing (shaft thingy not ballanced). Im just going to scrap the pump and mount the tank in back of the fire wall. Darnet!
Old 08-27-2003, 02:37 PM
stuffer
My Feedback: (11)

I just put a pump on my Saito 100. works great! it took a little figuring and playing with all the adjustments but at last the same performance throughout the tank.
Old 08-27-2003, 03:11 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

Originally posted by SpaceCase
Im leaning toward what outsider's saying. I am picking up some vibration. Another problem all together, topflight mag ballancer ok but not super good at ballaceing (shaft thingy not ballanced). Im just going to scrap the pump and mount the tank in back of the fire wall. Darnet!
Why not resolve the vibration problem (which should be taken care of anyway) so you can use the engine and pump as you want?

John
Old 08-27-2003, 03:17 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

all my glow have been run on the pump so that i could do the tank on the cg never a problem.
Old 08-27-2003, 04:20 PM
SpaceCase

Are you folks mounting the pump on the engine or the firewall? Im not shure about the vibration problem, its not so bad. But its egnouf so that at times it can be tricky to hold onto the needle valve. Guess I need to ballance out things a bit better.
Old 08-27-2003, 05:41 PM
outssider

if you mount a large 4-stroke engine on a composite mount...then watch the motor as you slowly power through the entire rpm range.... you will notice that there are certain rpm's where the engine is very still and there are other rpm's where the engine seems to shake quite a bit. the pump is supposed to be connected to the case of the engine ...therefor there are going to be times when the pump shakes " LIKE HELL" and other times when it shakes much less. What's worse, the shaking is not directly proportional to the rpm. for example ...your engine may run smoothly at 8000 but start to shake much more at 7800 rpm.
If the engine is mounted to an aluminum mount, the engine's vibration change may not be so abrupt ...but on a glass mount there is a big difference in vibration. the vp-20's pressure output is "DIRECTLY PROPORTIONAL" to how vigorously it shakes.

this can cause a problem...if it doesn't for you, then you are lucky...i wasn't so lucky
Old 08-27-2003, 06:29 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

Originally posted by SpaceCase
Are you folks mounting the pump on the engine or the firewall? Im not shure about the vibration problem, its not so bad. But its egnouf so that at times it can be tricky to hold onto the needle valve. Guess I need to ballance out things a bit better.
I mounted mine on the lower two backplate bolts of the engine.

If you have so much vibration that the needle valve is difficult to hold, you really need to get that taken care of first.

JMHO,
John
Old 08-27-2003, 07:46 PM
outssider

if you read the directions that come with the pump, you will note that it says.......

******* DO NOT MOUNT ON THE FIREWALL*****

the directions show you exactly how to mount the pump
Old 08-27-2003, 07:55 PM
krayzc-RCU

outssider

u know we always read those directions
Old 08-27-2003, 08:40 PM
outssider

yea.....right ...i know you guys....hook it up ...then if it doesn't work..... read the directions.... :stupid:
Old 08-27-2003, 09:46 PM
krayzc-RCU

u must have one of those shop lifter camera in my garage oopppsss
Old 08-28-2003, 01:25 AM
SpaceCase

Ok got the vibration down a bit. Pump is dialed all the way out then in a half turn or so. I spoke with the people from horizon, tech, they said the pump wont matter in terms of pressure. That the needle valve will do that alone. I guess it makes sence you can only put so much through a couple of brass holes at a time. Its really strange though, Im turning a 13x6 at over 10000 rpms. whenever I back the needle valve off to make it run a bit rich the next time I start it up its still reading 10000 rpms. I got it to 9800 rpms and seems to be holding now. I need to find some difinitive answer on this silly pump thing, any one know anything about regulating the pressur on a pump, does it matter? Or will the needle valve just regulate it (too much that is)?
Old 08-28-2003, 01:58 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

The needle valve will only pass so much fuel for a given pressure. Increase the pressure, and the volume will increase (to a point). The needle valve is used to regulate volume, not pressure. So, if the needle valve is more sensitive than you like, you should turn the pump out. If when you point the nose of the model up, the engine leans out, you need more pressure and the pump should be turned in.

John
Old 08-28-2003, 11:11 PM
outssider

you guys just refuse to read the directions before you give your advise....

if you read the directions ... you will notice that it reads .....

to increase volume turn the blue hex nut counter-clockwise

to decrease volume turn clockwise.......
Old 08-29-2003, 01:37 AM
krayzc-RCU

is that the piece of paper that is thrown away with the packing material??????????????????
Old 08-29-2003, 02:47 AM
JWN
Community Moderators

Originally posted by outssider
you guys just refuse to read the directions before you give your advise....

if you read the directions ... you will notice that it reads .....

to increase volume turn the blue hex nut counter-clockwise

to decrease volume turn clockwise.......
Sorry, my bad. It's been a few years since I setup my pump. For some reason, I thought the regulator was backwards.

John
Old 08-29-2003, 12:06 PM
SpaceCase

Yea I guess ultimatly the way to do it is with the pump off and just muffler pressure. But my tanks too far back. I ran yesterday and things went rather nicely (9800 on the top end). I have reset the pump, counter clock wise till you see the o ring. Then dialed it in 3/4 of a turn. One of the only things now that makes me suspicious is that when I idel down I get 3500 rpms, 3400, 3000, 2800 2600, then it stalls. This seems like a low speed idel valve thing, but its only dial in a full turn. woundering if my pump is giving it too much.
Old 08-29-2003, 02:15 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

Sounds like it. You should only have the pump opened up enough to provide enough pressure to prevent the engine from going lean when you point the nose up. Any more pressure and you can end up with idle problems, as you have found, as well as the possibility of an overly rich mid range.

John