Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Gas for an Edge

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2001, 05:44 AM
ricfly52

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas for an Edge

Ok I really want to put a gas engine in my 25% Edge 540.

Is there one out there that will work? Has to put out at least 21 lbs. of thrust, and be no more than 3 lbs. in weight. Price has to be under $375. (don't want much do I? heh heh)

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks much,

Rick
Old 12-16-2001, 01:31 PM
Ben Diss
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gas for an Edge

Look for a used BME 44.

-B
Old 12-16-2001, 05:16 PM
Chris 540
My Feedback: (3)

Default Gas for an Edge

Yea, the BME 44 is about as light as they get. But keep in mind, the 44 is the engine of choice for the 29%! So it should be quite a ride...
Old 12-24-2001, 03:17 PM
rmh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Gas for an Edge

gas for a 25% edge - best advice I have --don't do it.
You can stick any angine in anything and end up getting nothing for your effort.
If you want to have a plane which you can't wait to sell-cram an engine too heavy in a too small setup.
Here is a rule of thumb which has worked for many years -
If the plane is under 1000 squares -keep it under 10-11 lbs
as the size goes down -make your max weight even lower -for example - at 500 squares - 4-5 lbs tops.
Sure the other stuff will fly- but if you want a keeper - keep it light.
Currently, the lightest -nicest gas only engine I have seen and run -three of em -is the RCS 1.4 .
The catch? for real performance - total weight should be under 9 lbs.
Again -it will fly bigger heavier stuff but if you are after hot rod flying - be forwarned.
Once you shift to over 1000squares you start to get into sizes where a good runing 40 size engine will be at it's best.
The present crop of engines in this catagory are all pretty good and in a 1000 to 1200 sq in model weighing 13 lbs or less, will give you super performance.
IF you like to build and really are after a high performer -you can get down to 11 lbs with a 40 but it sure won't be with any ARF!
I am building my own design 11 lb max 1200 square in FAI model with a quiet tuned pipe 40 (ZDZ40 RE)and expect to have to pull all the stops to keep it under the 11 lb ceiling.
Old 12-24-2001, 04:06 PM
ricfly52

Default Thanks

Thanks for the advice Dick,

I had almost reached this conclusion, and you have helped me over the top. There are a lot of 1.20 size 2 and 4 stroke glow engines out there, that will do the job nicely. I am starting to look at the Moki 1.35, or Saito 1.8. So pretty soon I will have a new engine in the collection.
Old 12-24-2001, 04:46 PM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gas for an Edge

Rick

Save yourself some money, and use an OS 160FX, yes it will drink the fuel, no more than the rest of the glow guzzlers. The difference will be in the performance, bar none... At least in this weight and size range.

These engines are a great value for the realized performance.

I have flown this same model with the Saito 180 and it flys well and has adequate power. I fyou like the noise and pereformance the Saito is also a excellent engine for this model.
Old 12-26-2001, 04:07 PM
rmh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Gas for an Edge

yup -the OS 1.6 engines are very well made and with a little nitro dosing -and a good exhaust system -can be holy terrors.
The ST2300 was my favorite for this catagory -but too many flyers could not understand the need for a calibrated, pressure setup from a tuned can to feed the tank.
The OS1.60 is less fussy, using a smaller carburetor.
All in all probably the best large glow engine out there- base on price/power /quality/ease of operation/friendly running.
If you are not an engine freak - just want good power with a minimum learning curve - get it.
Old 12-28-2001, 01:41 AM
ricfly52

Default Gas for an Edge

Man you guys are great. I do believe that my engine choosing is all but done! I will probably use the OS 1.60 fx.
I like all that I have read on it, and with what I have heard here, it sounds like the power plant for me.
Can I use a pitts type muffler, or do I need a tuned pipe?
Thanks,
Rick