Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Jet Smoke system

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jet Smoke system

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 11:18 AM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Jet Smoke system

Would it be possible to use one of the TME smoke sytems combined Tam's stainless steel smoke injectors to add a smoke system to my T-750? I am thinking of using the front tank on my Skymaster F-15 for smoke tank and add one the TME smoke pumps. I have used these before on the gas burners but never on a turbine. The pump has a great deal of pressure and should work fine. Can some of the experts give me a hand here?
Tommy
Old 03-10-2004, 12:58 PM
wojtek
My Feedback: (73)

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Jet Smoke system

yes you can with no problems ... I am personally looking at gettig a slimline skywriter pump on my next smoke set up .. it has an enclosed battery and i believe it is also proportional (i could be wrong .. ) of course, im using the Tam injector nozles ...

I have 2 of tams pumped systems and they are great also, but i do think the slimline will be just as good, .... i also have an older presurized system i got from Tam that works with an old powermax container and an air tank, and that is still as good as the pumped ones ...

Wojtek
Old 03-10-2004, 01:45 PM
DocYates

WIll regular smoke fluid work in the jet exhaust, or does it need to be something special?
Thanks Wojtek.
TOmmy
Old 03-10-2004, 01:50 PM
wojtek

I use regular smoke fluid, it actually works best .. i believe you can also mix it with diesel oil for more economical use ... im currently trying to get my smoke colored, and am going to try using fabric dye in the oil .. i have heard before that this actually works ....
these 2 videos show smoke with a a air presurized smoke system, using the tam nozel, and dri smoke oil i get from tower hobbies ....

http://www.scalerchelis.com/albums/albun33/takeoffs.wmv

http://www.scalerchelis.com/albums/albun33/flight1.wmv

anyone have other ideas on how to color the smoke up ? like red ? blue ? black would be nice for scale !

Wojtek
Old 03-10-2004, 02:44 PM
Shok
My Feedback: (28)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You cannot color smoke. There is a whole wright up on this in a full size arobatic page somewhere.

I have tried it many times with my fogjuice I make. All I get is white smoke and mess of dye on the floor.
I think it was the thunderbirds that at one time had a color smoke show, although all it was, was dyed fuel being pumped out raw. This only happened a few times before they were forced to stop.
Other jets having colored smoke are either using chemical smoke flares or are just ejecting colored fluid.
Old 03-10-2004, 04:52 PM
Dave Matthews

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Shok

You cannot color smoke.
Actually you can. . . . .RED ARROWS do it as well as many other display teams. Jim LeRoy of Bulldog Airshows in the USA does it in Yellow. The dye they use can be obtained from Morton Chemical Dyes in the UK. The down sides are that they are expensive and carsonogenic. They come in either pre-mixed/diluted liquid or in powder form that you add to you smoke oil and then pump into the hot bit.

You could try In the States Morton Thikol Chemical division, 2 North Riverside Place, Chicago.
Old 03-10-2004, 05:03 PM
wojtek

so much for my fabric dye idea [] . ..... i do however now have a nicely stained smoke container

Wojtek
Old 03-10-2004, 05:06 PM
Dave Matthews

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bummer !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-10-2004, 05:22 PM
Shok
My Feedback: (28)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From MDW site:

"I'll also tell you that colored smoke for our engines is not possible. When you see colored smoke from the full scale birds, it's likely from a flare of some type, or an injection of certain metal powders into the engine exhaust. Beware of those who attempt to sell you “color smokeâ€. The dye in the oil may damage your plane or your skin … but you’ll still get only white smoke."

From the acrobatic forum:

"It appears a few decades ago the Blue Angels, when flying the F9F Panther, decided to add fuel dye to their wing tip tanks. Then all they did was dump fuel. This lasted one performance or so until it became apparent that the cars and spectators received a light hard-to-cleanoff dusting of the fine spray. They then reverted to motor oil pumped directly to the exhaust pipe creating the now familiar white smoke.

The two other Euro teams mentioned above added a dye to the smoke oil itself. Evidently everything the clouds of smoke enveloped caused it to suddenly be tinged with the very same color. I believe this became apparent at the Moffett Airshow in Calif. a few years ago. I know that the two teams were asked to refrain from using it for "environmental" purposes. Again I believe the environment that was being refereed to was the spectators and equipment on or near the flight line.

The Blues have kept with basic white smoke for the same reason."

"The colored smoke you occasionally see comes from pyrotechnic cannisters and spraying dye with the oil rather than from smoke oil. Smoke oil is heat vaporized oil particles and I don't think there is any way to effectively color it."
Old 03-11-2004, 12:01 AM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Doc,

I used the exact same setup you described in your post, except that I kept the front header tank as it was desgned and added a pair of hayes 16oz tanks forward of the front wing spar formers. works great and provides plenty of smoke fluid for 7 minute flight. Although guys are flying without the front tank, I'm flying a P-120 powered Eagle @ 7:30 from brakes release and landing with aprox 1/2 header remaining. so, just a heads up to monitor your flight time.

good luck

buck
Old 03-11-2004, 08:28 AM
DocYates

Yeah Buck I knew that would be a problem. Mine is powered with a T-750 which is not necessarily fuel effecient, but I don't think I would be flying at full throttle most of time anyways. Yours sounds like a better idea, but I was concerned about adding too much more weight to it until it gets some flight time and gets "acquainted"with me.
Tommy
Old 03-11-2004, 09:42 AM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Doc,

I fly @ 1/2 throttle for nearly all portions of the flight. 6-8 seconds of full throttle for the up lines on vertical maneuvers and take off are the only times I use full throttle. the plane is fairly slick and grooves along nicely at 1/2 throttle.

my AUW is 22 lbs with the above set up but the plane flies like it's much lighter.

off to Tucson

c'ya

buck