Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Can a decent 1/8 buggy be had for less than $500?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Can a decent 1/8 buggy be had for less than $500?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2003, 07:59 PM
grampi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can a decent 1/8 buggy be had for less than $500?

I'm beginning to think it can't.
Old 02-25-2003, 09:03 PM
caseyddr
My Feedback: (13)

decent yes, but to me, decent comes before good... so...
Old 02-25-2003, 09:13 PM
maneki

I just picked up a GS Storm RTR on Ebay for $460.00 brand new. I'm no expert in the 1/8 Buggy's , but I think this is a pretty good deal.
Old 02-25-2003, 09:22 PM
caseyddr

GS Storm? eh... i guess... if you dont know much about buggies sure... Shoulda went with the Ofna imo, more reliable brand.
Old 02-25-2003, 09:57 PM
grampi

Please, no RTR suggestions. I'm looking for a kit without an engine and radio, and an engine and radio I can choose myself, all for less than $500. I don't think this can be done.
Old 02-25-2003, 10:00 PM
gunrunner

caseyDDR;

opinion:

1) A belief or conclusion held with confidence but not substantiated by positive knowledge or proof: “The world is not run by thought, nor by imagination, but by opinion” (Elizabeth Drew).
2) A judgment based on special knowledge and given by an expert: a medical opinion.
3) A judgment or estimation of the merit of a person or thing: has a low opinion of braggarts.
The prevailing view: public opinion.
Law. A formal statement by a court or other adjudicative body of the legal reasons and principles for the conclusions of the court.

UNDERSTAND?? There are some who don't share yours.
Old 02-25-2003, 10:09 PM
caseyddr

Originally posted by gunrunner
caseyDDR;

opinion:

1) A belief or conclusion held with confidence but not substantiated by positive knowledge or proof: “The world is not run by thought, nor by imagination, but by opinion” (Elizabeth Drew).
2) A judgment based on special knowledge and given by an expert: a medical opinion.
3) A judgment or estimation of the merit of a person or thing: has a low opinion of braggarts.
The prevailing view: public opinion.
Law. A formal statement by a court or other adjudicative body of the legal reasons and principles for the conclusions of the court.

UNDERSTAND?? There are some who don't share yours.
i think you took what i said in the wrong manner. It wasn't mean tto be rude. Sorry you misunderstood. this whole post of yours was uncalled for
Old 02-25-2003, 10:25 PM
gunrunner

And your post telling MANEKI that he just wasted $460.00 bucks is YOUR OPINION and nothing more. So your post was not only uncalled for it was just RUDE.
Old 02-25-2003, 10:47 PM
ibdrummr

Default ....

as my good friend Felipe, the crazy Brazilian, would say...."WELL BOO HOOO." Grow up people....the guy gave his opinion...really now....

btw....the GS storm i actually think is a nice buggy...too bad i have a $300 budget and have to choose between the ofna lx (the cheap one) and mayyybe a duratrax axis...personally right now i am leaning towards the ofna, go ahead and post ur opinions, it wont bother me.

be happy...don't worry.....
Old 02-25-2003, 11:00 PM
PAINT CHIP

YEAH and in my OPINION "OFNA ROCKS" I have had a long and wonderful relationship with my ofna (50+ mph in the grass) and it has been nothing but shear joy ,now if you can get the same joy out of a rolling chassis that you pay just as much for and still have to buy more gear for then take it out to the pond and make it for 30 feet just to sink and still laugh like hell then more power to you but I don't think you can! I CAN!!!!!
Old 02-25-2003, 11:18 PM
maneki

I understand everyone has a different opinion here, and that's cool. I'm sure there are some people out there who spent around $200 on a car and are more than happy with it for what they were looking for. And then there are probably some who spent $1000 and still are not satisfied completely with it.

In my OWN opinion, I feel that buying a new GS for $460 was a great price and seems to be a good buggy, but then again thats my opinion

No hard feelings.
Old 02-25-2003, 11:41 PM
grampi

Does GS make a kit that doesn't include the engine and radio? If so, how much is it?
Old 02-26-2003, 12:32 AM
nitroman88
My Feedback: (5)

im really starting to get fed up with all these ready to run vehicles. It sure stinks when you have to pay extra money for a crappy engine and radio gear when you could just get a rolling chassis. I guess rtr makes it easier for people to start off. But people like me, who cant stand stock and crave speed and uniqueness are the ones who are putting down the most money so why not tend to our needs?
Old 02-26-2003, 12:52 AM
caseyddr

Originally posted by gunrunner
And your post telling MANEKI that he just wasted $460.00 bucks is YOUR OPINION and nothing more. So your post was not only uncalled for it was just RUDE.
i see you get your jolly's off being wrong.. guess thats what gets you going, tobad you dont know what IMO means... im done with your immaturity go bug somebody else. I apologize for him Maneki, jus stating what I thought.
Old 02-26-2003, 04:10 AM
maneki

Yes, GS makes a Storm kit, looks like it's called the Storm Pro kit, GS Storm Expert or GS Storm Sport. I know for sure the Pro is a kit.
Old 02-26-2003, 04:40 AM
Brennan_H

Hi,I just wanted everybody to know all you guys that dont know jack about a gs storm to quit talking trash.I have one and got it for $450,and I aint tootin my horn but It will straight smoke those entirly too exspensive kanais.I will admit that the carb it comes with is a piece of crap,but this thing handles awesome.I have already put a o.srg in it,I love it,but im sure its not expensive enough for some of you guys.Anybody that thinks there crapy I would love to me with you somewhere and give you hell on the track.Also for 450 bucks I got the xr3i remote,it cost 169 at my hobby shop.So subtract that and you spend 290 for a car and a motor,not bad it was worth taking the chance.So let me hear from you guys that have them and let me know what you think.And they do make a storm kit its called storm pro,I think im going to get one.I have a brand new kyosho mp-6 also I like it but not as much as the storm.Hey you guys think about how long your ofnas and kyoshos have been around,they have had the time to get it right.The storm is the first buggy from gs.
Old 02-26-2003, 04:54 AM
PAINT CHIP

DANG YA'LL ARE A FEISTY BUNCH!!!
Old 02-26-2003, 01:06 PM
grampi

Is the GS Storm availble in a kit, without an engine or a radio?

Nitroman

I know what you mean about all these RTR kits. They're nice if you're a first time buyer and don't know any better, beyond that, they're just a pain in the *****. What pi$$es me off is you can't buy the rolling chassis from the RTR kits without the engines and radios. If you want one of these, you have to buy the more expensive chassis. It's almost as if they'll do anything to keep the price high if you want to buy anything besides an RTR kit.
Old 02-26-2003, 01:50 PM
nitroman88

i totally agree grampi. Why cant they just make some rolling chassis? I mena they dont have to make as much as the rtrs but i know they would all get sold.
Old 02-26-2003, 01:54 PM
PAINT CHIP

I have had an opithony that I am going to share with you all that will clear up this whole thing "SUPPLY AND DEMAND" the manufacturer figures the guys that buy the rolling chassis are more into the racing asspect of the hobby so they add more hop ups but you are getting those for less than what you would pay to put them on yoursel,so if more people get on the manufacturer to offer a low cost rolling chassis it will come to pass.But keep in mind it won't be as cheap as what you might think they have to make it worth there while to produce it,so be careful what you wish for.
Old 02-26-2003, 02:03 PM
hoodiegadoo

Grampi, I would suggest you go ahead and purchase one of the rtr's and then just take the engine, servo's and radio gear out and sell it. you can get quite a bit of money back for them because they will be brand new. Then purchase what you want and total cost will probably be around 450 to 500 bones. Thats the only way I could see having a buggy worth getting and then having your own radio and engine.
Old 02-26-2003, 03:13 PM
cool head

here you go grampi, the inferno for under 5 bills. no disapointments here!http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXUX44&P=7
Old 02-26-2003, 03:19 PM
cool head

or for 50 bucks more you can get the mugen, which is equal to the 7.5. i think the mugen handles a little better. http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXZS58&P=7
Old 02-26-2003, 05:01 PM
nitroman88

Originally posted by PAINT CHIP
I have had an opithony that I am going to share with you all that will clear up this whole thing "SUPPLY AND DEMAND" the manufacturer figures the guys that buy the rolling chassis are more into the racing asspect of the hobby so they add more hop ups but you are getting those for less than what you would pay to put them on yoursel,so if more people get on the manufacturer to offer a low cost rolling chassis it will come to pass.But keep in mind it won't be as cheap as what you might think they have to make it worth there while to produce it,so be careful what you wish for.
the point im trying to make is that some manufacturers inlcude crappy (easy to make) engines and sell them with the rtrs and know one ever knows what the actual cost is. In some cases you can include a better engine for the same cost as the crappy one that they include in the rtr. This is why i prefer rolling over rtr. Take the savage for expample, It comes with a horrible engine(only 1.7 bhp) it costs 150.00 bucks for the crap engine that comes with the savage if you were to replace it.
Old 02-26-2003, 06:29 PM
grampi

rc39

I think you missed what I said. I would like to by a non RTR kit, an engine and a radio for less than $500. The kits you listed are $500 before buying the engine and radio. I don't want to have to spend $600-$1000 just to get a decent buggy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.