Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

New Engine for Savage 25

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 06:41 PM
Sigma.40
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Engine for Savage 25

Ipicked up a Savage 25 pretty cheap today. It has the stock 25 init but it is pretty weak.I will be getting a new engine this week. I've beenlooking at the K4.6 asI foundone new on Ebay for $115.My question is...Is there a better enginethat I should be looking at for around the same price?

-Also, how much of a power increase shouldI expect, going from awell used.25 to a brand new K4.6?
Old 07-05-2011, 07:13 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: New Engine for Savage 25

The K4.6 sucks. Look for a new-pulled F4.6 from an X4.6 RTR. Alternatively, you could go Dynamite Big Red.

You will want to upgrade your clutch. If the truck has the 2 pin flywheel, upgrade it to the 3 pin, then put Dynamite Max Life or Mugen aluminum clutch shoes in there with 1.0 Mugen springs.

Also go to a 17t clutchbell, to get more top end and calm the wheelies. Granted, it will still wheelie violently...but it will be tons of fun.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:28 PM
Sigma.40

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

The K4.6 sucks. Look for a new-pulled F4.6 from an X4.6 RTR. Alternatively, you could go Dynamite Big Red.

You will want to upgrade your clutch. If the truck has the 2 pin flywheel, upgrade it to the 3 pin, then put Dynamite Max Life or Mugen aluminum clutch shoes in there with 1.0 Mugen springs.

Also go to a 17t clutchbell, to get more top end and calm the wheelies. Granted, it will still wheelie violently...but it will be tons of fun.
This brings several questions.

1. What's the difference between the F and the K? In other words, why does the "K" suck?

2. It has a 3 shoe clutch. Is that what you mean? Would the Integy Aluminum 3 shoe work?

3. Are nitros like electrics, in that the higher tooth clutchbell will cause heat issues?

Old 07-05-2011, 07:34 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: Sigma.40

This brings several questions.

1. What's the difference between the F and the K? In other words, why does the ''K'' suck?

2. It has a 3 shoe clutch. Is that what you mean? Would the Integy Aluminum 3 shoe work?

3. Are nitros like electrics, in that the higher tooth clutchbell will cause heat issues?

1: F4.6 is manufactured by Force Engines, the K4.6 is manufactured by Kingstar. The K4.6 has a tendency to run hot, be a pain in the ass to tune, have air leaks, etc, compared to the F4.6. They're completely different engines, like an Oldsmobile 350 and a Chevy 350.

2: No, Integy anything will not work. Stick with the good clutch shoes, not that cheesy soft garbage from Integy

3: yes, if you're HUGELY over geared...but....you could probably run 20/47 on that engine, and the only thing you'd suffer is shortened clutch life and slow acceleration. Pick up the vented HPI "Racing" clutchbell. It's made out of a harder material than their normal clutchbells, and it's vented to keep the clutch cool.

4: Do yourself a favor and pick up a THS Savage header and a Dynamite 053 pipe once you get the new motor broken in. You'll thank ThunderbirdJunkie later.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:37 PM
Sigma.40

Thanks
Old 07-06-2011, 05:49 AM
Sigma.40

I looked at that Big Red and it sounds pretty decent. How would that compare in both durability and powerto the F4.6?</p>
Old 07-06-2011, 07:19 PM
rcslsafut

man if you want to really wake that thing up .......... three letters LRP .....30 !!!
the engine is wicked !! on command wheelies , make that savy SCOOOOOOOOT
Old 07-06-2011, 08:11 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

I looked at that Big Red and it sounds pretty decent. How would that compare in both durability and power to the F4.6?</p>
Power wise, better torque, more RPM ITBJRC, but reliability they're about the same.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:08 PM
Sigma.40

I looked at that Big Red and it sounds pretty decent. How would that compare in both durability and powerto the F4.6?</p>
Power wise, better torque, more RPM ITBJRC, but reliability they're about the same.
I think that I am going with the F4.6 tomorrow. This .25 is shot I think. Tried running it today pretty rich and after only 5-7 minutes it waspast 300 F and keeps stalling and refusing to start.

-Wonder if it has anything to do with the previous owner only using 30% airplane nitro ?
Old 07-07-2011, 09:37 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

30% won't hurt it, but airplane fuel would be oily as all get out. could've just run hot its whole life?
Old 07-07-2011, 03:58 PM
Sigma.40

30% won't hurt it, but airplane fuel would be oily as all get out. could've just run hot its whole life?
I got it tuned today and ran it all around. The .25 is either under-powered or this engine is dying (I think the latter). It did stay around 230-240F but just seemed slow. Either way. I don't really care as I ordered my 4.6 today. Couldn't pass up $115 for a brand new 4.6 when all the others I sawwere over $200.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:26 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

I guess if an Engine that runs 9 trouble free gallons sucks (with the original one way bearing even) , then than would described the K4.6 in my savage. The F4.6 is the better choice, but seal the K4.6 and you will never have a problem out of it. Even after 9 gallons my K4.6 will still drag the front wheels up shifting to 2nd at times, and on demand in 1st gear. The Big Red is a powerful engine, but the wonderful non insulated carb would make it boil the fuel just like the rest of the SH engines I have ran. The F4.6 is the best of both worlds here. Good power, and a composite carburetor.

2: No, Integy anything will not work. Stick with the good clutch shoes, not that cheesy soft garbage from Integy
I dont like most things Integy makes, but their clutches are great for the money. I have one in every nitro i own. I buy them for about $12 shipped off of ebay and that is the flywheel, springs, and shoes. I put 5 gallons on the ones in my savage before they needed replacing. I put a new set of integy shoes in my Monster GT pulling truck at the beginnig of the year, and the clutch still looks and works perfect after 16 passes down the pulling track dragging about 80 pounds behind the truck. Comes out of the hole spinning tires, and the tires are still digging at the end when the sled stops it.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:14 PM
Sigma.40

ORIGINAL: cummins driver

I guess if an Engine that runs 9 trouble free gallons sucks (with the original one way bearing even) , then than would described the K4.6 in my savage. The F4.6 is the better choice, but seal the K4.6 and you will never have a problem out of it. Even after 9 gallons my K4.6 will still drag the front wheels up shifting to 2nd at times, and on demand in 1st gear. The Big Red is a powerful engine, but the wonderful non insulated carb would make it boil the fuel just like the rest of the SH engines I have ran. The F4.6 is the best of both worlds here. Good power, and a composite carburetor.

I dont like most things Integy makes, but their clutches are great for the money. I have one in every nitro i own. I buy them for about $12 shipped off of ebay and that is the flywheel, springs, and shoes. I put 5 gallons on the ones in my savage before they needed replacing. I put a new set of integy shoes in my Monster GT pulling truck at the beginnig of the year, and the clutch still looks and works perfect after 16 passes down the pulling track dragging about 80 pounds behind the truck. Comes out of the hole spinning tires, and the tires are still digging at the end when the sled stops it.

I ended up getting the K4.6 anyway. I got it brand new on Ebay for $100 less than any of the F4.6s. I figured that they can't be THATmuch different. As for the Integy clutch, I realized that all I really needed were springs so I got 3 springs for a Losi LST2 which I'm told are significantly stronger than the HPI ones.

-Why does HPI have 2 different 4.6s anyway. They are selling both the K and the F on their website so its not like they released one to replace the other. Just curious.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:16 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

It was explained before [&:]

Nobody knows WHY they do it, they just do.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:42 PM
cummins driver

They actually have 3 4.6's. They have the F4.6, the K4.6, and the K4.6 HO which comes in the hellfire. Best part is, the K4.6 high output is weaker than the regular K4.6.

Here is a video of my Axial .28 which is supposedly identical to the hpi K4.6.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnywLdXm-S4[/youtube]
Old 07-08-2011, 12:51 AM
rc18junky

dont know it someone said this i dont feel like reading the whole post but if you put a more powerful engine on that 25 you will need to update the front and rear diffs. the ones in there now have the planetary gear setup and you will need the 4 gear setup. also would be a good idea to get the alloy diff cups under the extra power the plastic will distort and cause the diff to strip.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:55 AM
cummins driver

ORIGINAL: rc18junky

dont know it someone said this i dont feel like reading the whole post but if you put a more powerful engine on that 25 you will need to update the front and rear diffs. the ones in there now have the planetary gear setup and you will need the 4 gear setup. also would be a good idea to get the alloy diff cups under the extra power the plastic will distort and cause the diff to strip.
Not necessarily. The later version .25 savages came with 4 spider differentials. My cousin and i had one. His had the old air filter, no steering bellcrank(just a servo saver), and i believe the 2 spider diffs. Mine had the new style air filter, bellcrank servo saver, and 4 spider diffs, so it just depends on if it was a later .25 or earlier version.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:30 AM
Sigma.40

ORIGINAL: cummins driver

ORIGINAL: rc18junky

Not necessarily. The later version .25 savages came with 4 spider differentials. My cousin and i had one. His had the old air filter, no steering bellcrank(just a servo saver), and i believe the 2 spider diffs. Mine had the new style air filter, bellcrank servo saver, and 4 spider diffs, so it just depends on if it was a later .25 or earlier version.
I believe its the newer one. My friend tore it apart and told me I would only have to replace them if I upgraded to the 5.9, which is what I originally planned todo. Either way, though, if they go, they go. I'll replace them with diffs from an XL.