Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Converting glow to gas?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 04:03 PM
blue77
My Feedback: (178)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converting glow to gas?

I have a new OS 3500 glow that I am thinking about converting to gas......how about it...is it worth it?
Old 04-09-2009, 01:20 AM
liquid_TR

Default RE: Converting glow to gas?

every penny.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:42 AM
rmh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cost wise - just go buy a gasoline specific engine
The part and the setup require you know something about WHY the fuels run differently -and require different rod/compression mod/carburator/ fitting a magnet etc..
Old 04-09-2009, 08:31 AM
liquid_TR

no internal mods needed actually. and once you have all the extra needed parts in hand, its a one day job.

Get a minimum of 11.11mm bore walbro carb, a carb adaptor plate, insulator and gaskets from CH - install the carb on the engine.

Buy an RCexcl glow plug size ignition module from CH or Just Engines UK, some glow plug thread spark plugs, and a 4mm magnet.

Drill the prop washer to accept the 4mm magnet (you can fix it with epoxy) - set the timing to 28-30 degrees BTDC by placing the hall sensor accordingly. make sure the gap between the magnet and the sensor is as small as possible. (~1mm)

(you can use a suitable sized hose clamp or custom made ring plate to place or glue the hall sensor onto with or without hall sensor plastic body.)

set the carb needles to 1-3/4 open from fully closed.

Mix fuel with a ratio of 1:15 - than you can go down to 1:18 - synthetic recommended.

It will amotise all you have spent on extra parts in 2-3 weekends. You will be amazed of the performance, fuel economy and reliability, not to mention It will last a very long time.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:54 AM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts

Blue,, here is an alterative to converting to gasoline, it's lighter too,, but you do need bearings in the rod,, see the link,,

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_80..._1/key_/tm.htm

Jim