Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Large Prop Balancing

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 07:51 PM
mdunevant
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Large Prop Balancing

I have a G-62 and it requires a 22 x 10 prop. I have a really nice XOAR Prop that I want to put on it but I haven't figured out how to balance this one. With smaller props we just trimmed some off the top edge to get the proper balance. This Prop has a beautiful coating and I really don't want to mess that up. Any ideas on how to balance these big props? Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks
Old 02-05-2008, 08:48 PM
altavillan
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Large Prop Balancing

Before drilling for prop bolts measure to be certain the center hole is centered. Then balance it. Centering the hole almost always makes the latteral balance perfect. To balance the tips lightly sand the back of the light blade and then spray light coats of clear paint till balanced. The paint will evaporate some weight so re-test after it's dry.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:10 AM
mdunevant

Thanks so much for your help. I don't know why I didn't think of that...Great idea...thanks again for your help...I can't believe how nice it is to get decent answers so quick. This is my first Giant Scale Gas engine plane and I am really trying to set it up right...Thanks for your help with the prop balancing issue.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:06 AM
raven7usa
My Feedback: (7)

If you don't want to mess with overspray in the house, you can use clear finger nail polish. Just brush it on the the tip of the lighter blade.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:02 AM
mdunevant

Now that too is a great idea...Thanks
Old 02-06-2008, 09:40 AM
ThunderT
My Feedback: (18)

If you want to reallysee how to balance a prop go to downonthedeck.com, they have videos that will instruct you on lots of things.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:39 AM
raven7usa

Check out prop balancing 101
http://www.downonthedeck.com/videos_instruction.htm
Old 02-06-2008, 02:55 PM
Flyfast1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If sanding is used to lighten one blade, is it better to sand the front or back of the heavy blade?

-Ed
Old 02-07-2008, 08:26 AM
mdunevant

I am not sure I want to balance the hub that way. Having velcro on the prop just looks bad...isn't there any other way to balance the hub? Again gentlemen, thanks so much for all your help. It is very much appreciated.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:51 AM
raven7usa

The velcro is hidden inside the spinner and never seen. So if you're not going to use a spinner. and not much weight is needed, maybe a few drops of glue directly on the wood would be enough. On my 22-8, just the weight of the velcro was all it needed to balance the hub.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:22 AM
raven7usa

My theory on sanding a prop blade is: Wood dust is very light and if you need to take a bunch off to balance, you risk the chance of altering the air foil of the blade. It's quicker and easier to add weight to the light blade by using a clear coat.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:47 AM
Jburry

My thought on sanding a prop blade is: If you need to take a bunch off to balance, the prop is too far out and should be replaced. If it's a good prop, not much will need removing! removing from the back side perserves the most important part of the airfoil shape.

that said, I balance by painting the prop tips, more coats on the light blade!

J
Old 02-07-2008, 03:37 PM
Flyfast1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard that if one is going to sand one of the blades, that it is better to sand the front of the blades because the back of the blades is what does the work. I think the idea is that from a purist standpoint, any sanding changes the shape of the airfoil, however slightly, and it would be better to change the shape of the front of the blade because it is less critical than the back of the blades. I have only heard this by word-of-mouth and don't have any documentation or articles that have studied it in detail.

-Ed B.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:59 AM
Hogrider
My Feedback: (392)

We have misread what "altavillan" said about sanding.
He said to lightly sand (rough-up) the backside of the prop tip and then spray paint the roughed-up surfaces to balance.
The roughing the surface gives the paint more surface to adhere better.
Old 02-09-2008, 02:45 AM
PAPE

I always use clear coat or gold paint on my big wood props, I never sand them because I dont want to alter the airfoil

I did do a really stupid thing the other day, I balance a 24x8 prop perfectly and to balance the hub I used Duck-tape, worked like a charm for like 5 min and when the duck-tape fell of inside the spiner.... The bulg of tape made it go so much out of balance the the spinner exploded in mid air.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:58 AM
mdunevant

I guess for best results in balancing big props, the velcro for the hub seems to be the way to go, and to balance the tips I think I will use the clear coat procedure without sanding. Cause for one I don't want the prop to look scratched from the sanding, and I don't know why the clear coat won't stick just by itself. Sure it would stick better if I sanded it but it will work just by applying correct?
Gentlemen, thank you so very much for all your help and knowledge!!! It is really appreciated. I am really pleased to be able to come to this site and get the help that I have received. This is what this sport is all about and I commend all of you for helping me so much. Thank you!!!
Old 02-10-2008, 10:30 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

If you use epoxi glue on the light side you can get the correct amount without guessing how much will evaporate.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:06 PM
Gator Flyer

I just balanced my props, and spinner the other night by using clear scotch tape on the back of the props(20x8-21x8-21x10), and inside the spinner. I haven't flown them yet so I'm yet to know how the tape will hold up.