Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Rotary valve engines

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 11:26 AM
WRK
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rotary valve engines

Who besides ZDZ is making rotary valve engines in 25 CC and up range?
Old 02-09-2008, 11:38 AM
rmh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Rotary valve engines

the Roto- the MVVS/Evolution front intake - the Moki front intakegassers - The RCS .
Old 02-09-2008, 11:45 AM
RC Extreme power
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think it will be long untill you see some coming out of China, No I don't have any insight, just my thoughts
Old 02-09-2008, 11:56 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Until they see a need to change I believe they'll stay with the front runners in sales and popularity. Like anyone else they want and need volume to keep the shops open.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:12 PM
Kweasel
My Feedback: (29)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There may eventually be some ZDZ knockoffs but I doubt there will ever be any original designs from China. I set out to design a 50-80cc with conventional model engine architecture. I ran into some technical problems with the crankshaft. I found that ZDZ and DA designs weigh less and cost less to produce. Im sure that every other designer came to the same conclusion, thats why there aren't any jumbo size OS 40s out there.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:33 PM
captinjohn

I always wondered how the rotor part maintained a good seal ...more so as engine time adds up. Seems like any wear would degrade its performance. The power is sure there with rotary valve engines...when in good shape! Thanks Capt,n
Old 02-09-2008, 11:21 PM
rmh

The rear disc design is a VERY old design on twostrokes YS uses identical setup-as did earlier designs from years previous.

the rotor floats on a pin and the changes in crankcase pressure, seals or release seal as pressure changes .
wear really is not a factor.. scoring and poor lube IS a factor.
the materials have to self lap as they run and a proper oil seal is also desireable. a slapping noise in the ZDZ engine-whenidly flipping prop back n forth is the rotor sealing -releasing . The cantaleve crank used is also an old proven dsign - the pressed together cranks on weedies - is a cheap assy method but very good --- as long as it is not banged on the ground and the crank alignment knocked out of whack - it DOES happen . I have dug ZDZ80' out of ground from a crash - the screwed in prop screw is bent sometimes - I never have never seen a bent crank .