Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

YA Stingray Experiences please .....

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

YA Stingray Experiences please .....

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 07:07 PM
f20_flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YA Stingray Experiences please .....

HI,

I've just got the kit from a friend who brought it into the UK from the US.

I saw the threads earlier in the year re instability / dutch roll, and the suggestions re canting out the rudders by 3/16".

Anyone get any results please ?? Any video's of them flying ?

Planning to use an MW54 or Artes JF50 Bee..........

I need to get the engine mount and the conformal tanks, so if anyones has a set let me know please........

Servos ?? Planning to use 2 x JR or Hitec 10kg+ digitals on the elevons, and 2 x Volz Mini Maxx on the Rudders........ Any other suggestions ?

What about splitting the elevons into Elevators and Ailerons .i.e. 4 surfaces ? Any experiences ?

Upper and lower airbrakes ...................both needed or just the lower one ?

Here's hoping ................. I need the advice. Thanks!!!
Old 12-16-2004, 08:03 PM
bidrseed2
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: YA Stingray Experiences please .....

Hi, i have one but am no expert at jet flying, having only buddy box experience.

Im told they actually fly nicer on a wren44 than a 54, something to do with the lower wing loading.
i put jr 8411s on the elevons, 9kg pull, far more than yellow recommend, i think youd be struggling to split the elevons into two, theyre quite small.
I do have video but the file is far too large to post here, ill try to cut it down and could email it to you.
Old 12-17-2004, 03:09 AM
Kelly W
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi guys,

Servo-wise, I'd say the 8411 is WAY overkill but it'll work fine. You can easily modify the wing to take a 'standard' size servo body. As stated in earlier threads, I'm using the following servos in mine:

Elevons: HS-5625MG, 1 per elevon
Rudders: HS 5245MG, 1 per fin
Speed brake: HS-645MG
Retracts: HS-225
Brakes: HS-225
Nose wheel: HS-225MG

Having 9 flights on mine now (wish I had more...), I don't see any need for a speed brake other than the stock one in the upper fuse. The easiest way to slow this plane down is with the elevator, throttle management, and building it as light as possible... I've been bitten by it once, on the 2nd flight from a 600ft grass strip. You'll learn to manage the approach pretty quickly, but save yourself some stress and learn on a long strip at first. The speed brake is functional in level flight or nose-down attitude, and less effective in nose-up. I deploy it 50% on the down wind leg, then 100% once I turn on final. I've got it set up on a 3-position switch.

Splitting the elevons... personally I thing the design works fine as-is. You could argue that there's some redundancy with 4 servos in the wings, but I can't imagine it would be all that easy to bring back if one failed, so the likelihood of failure probably doubles... A lot of the guys I spoke to thought I was totally nuts using all Hitec's, but I've burnt them all in, load tested, etc. and haven't seen anything to be concerned about (so far...) I'll keep using them till I see a problem.

I haven't tested any further than the 3/16" offset rudders because the season ended. I'll try a gyro by April 05' hopefully. I was hoping someone else would have some results to share by now also... Anyone???

I have a J600R on the it and I made the motor mounts myself out of Aluminum T-extrusion. I'll try to post a picture later. The MW-44 should make it a lot lighter and decrease the form drag, but I'm curious about how the hardware is installed? I almost needed the addition weight of the engine in order to balance without any extra ballast? As mine wound up, the heaviest of the internals had to by located right in front of the main fuel tanks. A lighter motor may add a few challenges to get the balance right.

The motor I have pushes with ~14.5lb on the test bench, and now that I'm a little more use to it, I love the combo. A Wren 54 MKIII or other engine in that thrust range will work nicely, but It was a little fun to get use to at first though. The only thing that still bugs me is the dutch roll, but hopefully we can all sort that one out soon.

I have a few short videos and a whole whack of pictures, PM me your email and I'll forward them on to you.

Thanks, and good luck guys!
Kelly
Old 12-18-2004, 09:05 PM
Stratotanker
My Feedback: (3)

I have had nothing but good luck with mine. The plane was set up per the manual minus the aileron throws(too much) and I added a speedbrake to the bottom. I have 21 flights with a PST J600R, it has lots of power and is very fast! Do a search for "Stingray Construction", I did a full construction thread, it should answer a lot of questions, please e-mail me if you have any other questions. Good Luck!

Chris
Old 12-19-2004, 09:10 AM
jason
My Feedback: (1)

Hi,

I had a Y/A stingray with a MW44 on it and it flew very well. I would say that S.R fly much better with a 44 than a 54 they are just so much lighter. I used JR 591 servos on the wings and Hitec wing mount digis on the fins. If you do opt or the 44 then you wont need the conformal tanks as a single I think it was a 36oz ?? dubron tank fits in the middle of the fus and gives you a 8 min flight time. With the 44 it does not dutch roll and it lands slooow. I used to put mine in a flat spin but on one occasion it never came out and broke the nose off... So if you need a pair of wings, fins with servos and a proper set of YA stingray retracts cheep let me know.

As far a mounting your engine you can use T extrusion and stainless straps or get the BVM ones as I did.

Jason