Community
Search
Notices
Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc.. Discuss Walkera Dragonfly Helis and any Walkera products in this forum

AVCS Gryo set up Walkera 36

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 04:18 PM
newbiepilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AVCS Gryo set up Walkera 36

Hi,
When I was trying to set up my heli tail rotor I noticed a something weird. I turned the gyro to Nor on the AVCS-NOR switch, and turn everything on. I trimmed up my tail rotor to be in the middle of the shaft. I moved the stick left and right, and the tail rotor returned to position well. When I turned the avcs on while everything was still on, the servo pulled the rotor in or out I can't remember, really quickly. I tried centering again, but the servo seems to always creep to one side or the other and doesn't like to stay in one spot. Can you tell me if this is what is supposed to happen, or if it is something that I need to fix. The gyro is WK-G006.
Thank you.
Old 06-30-2006, 06:17 PM
oldschool269

Default RE: AVCS Gryo set up Walkera 36

i was under the impression that with avcs on , you should turn the revo mixing off on your transmitter ...
if im wrong would someone 'please explain' ...

Jason
Old 06-30-2006, 06:26 PM
newbiepilot

how do you turn revo mixing off on your transmitter
Old 06-30-2006, 06:38 PM
oldschool269

use the Heli/Acro , switch on the back of the transmitter ( this is the revo on my transmitter anyway ) , disconnect two poles of your main motor , work fast so you dont burn out the weak walkera esc !!

turn the bird on ( without drive motor connected ) , switch the gyro to normal mode , when you go full throttle the blades on the tail will change angle to add more pitch to the tail , when you switch the correct dip switch off , the tail will not move as you go between zero to full throttle ,
your revo mixing is now off ,now switch on AVCS and you should be ready to fly ( provided all else is well !!)

if its not happening , you will have revo on and avcs ( crazy tail action , glitches all over the tail settings) or no revo and no avcs , this will result in wild spins also , beware of false tail readings , if its not right sometimes you can make it work at one rpm then it goes all out of whack as the revs change .. !!
i went to my local club where a few guys were happy to help me tweek it right ..and TEST fly it well for me to !!

Jason

Old 06-30-2006, 07:22 PM
credence
My Feedback: (2)

Because of the way AVCS systems work (wether the walkera gyro actually uses AVCS remains to be seen, but I digress..), it's natural for the gyro to creep in one direction or the other. Essentially what happens is that once the gyro initalizes, any slight movement of the helicopter, the gyro detects, and attempts to send the helicopters tail back to it's original initalized heading. If the helicopter doesn't respond, the gyro continues telling the servo to move untill either the helicopter finally obeys, or the servo burns out as it stalls at it's end point. Naturally, if the helicopter isn't running, the tail won't spin, so the gyro is only doing as it should, trying to correct sensed movement back to it's original heading. It doesn't know that the helicopter won't spin because it's not running.

Assuming everything else is setup correctly, and you managed to turn the gyro on without the tiniest bit of movement, the servo SHOULD stay centered after power on, in most cases, it doesn't because attaching your battery, putting your canopy on, etc all move the helicopter, and will end up creeping to one side. Once you take off, the tail should steady it's self. Im not sure if the walkera gyro is the same, but with the Futaba gyro's, a quick left and right motion on the rudder stick will reset the center point on the servo (so the helicopter doesn't whip around on you during take off if you happen to spin the helicopter the opposite way you powered it on before lift off).

You should also make sure that your rudder trim is centered (as the gyro will see this as a "stick" command if it isn't and will continue telling the servo to move in one direction, and since the helicopter is not obeying, it will keep creeping further and further untill it again, reaches it's end).
Old 07-01-2006, 12:24 AM
ultraviolet

First step - Remove the Walkera Gyro and through it in the garbage.

Seriously........... the Walkera gyro is junk, but if your only doing tail in hovering
it kind of works. Do not attempt any quick moves or you'll end up in the ground.

Do yourself a favor and upgrade before you regret it.
Old 07-02-2006, 11:46 PM
soneebee

ORIGINAL: ultraviolet

First step - Remove the Walkera Gyro and through it in the garbage.

Seriously........... the Walkera gyro is junk, but if your only doing tail in hovering
it kind of works. Do not attempt any quick moves or you'll end up in the ground.

Do yourself a favor and upgrade before you regret it.

mine works fine AVCS works great on my heli... i guess you got the bad gyro, some works and others don't maybe that is the quality control they have.. hehehe...
Old 07-03-2006, 07:59 AM
armycopter

I agree that most walkera electronics are poor quality, however, my WK-G006 gyro works great on my DF37. I use AVCS mode...
Old 07-03-2006, 12:55 PM
newbiepilot

so you can use either mode. It doesn't matter?
Thanks.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:42 AM
soneebee

the AVCS is much better control.....